Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:09 am

Author Topic: Tachometer jumps to 5K, couldn't find any info on error  (Read 19510 times)

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Tachometer jumps to 5K, couldn't find any info on error
« on: 02 August 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this community and today I bought my first Yamaha Fazer 600 99' (fuel injection:D
Sadly, I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the tachometer is trying to tell me something and I made the deal.
What happens is that the tacho jumps from 0 to 5K again and again and again regardless if the engine is running or not, besides that everything about the bike is great!

I tried to look for manuals or around the forum but I only found info about 3K and 7K and even 4K errors but nothing on 5K. :(

Please help me out, It really ruined the experience for me and I'm afraid to run the bike before I know whats the error.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 12:24:33 pm by arieljt »

keratos

Re: Tachometer jumps to 5K, couldn't find any info on error
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2014, 08:37:13 pm »
sounds like it is the Throttle Position Sensor in setup mode. Unplug the wiring loom from the TPS on the side of the carbs, clean the contacts on both loom and TPS terminal side using Contact Cleaner

Then turn on ignition whilst TPS disconnected, then reconnect TPS still with ignition on then turn ignition off back on and restart
« Last Edit: 02 August 2014, 08:41:08 pm by keratos »

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2014, 08:57:18 pm »
sounds like it is the Throttle Position Sensor in setup mode. Unplug the wiring loom from the TPS on the side of the carbs, clean the contacts on both loom and TPS terminal side using Contact Cleaner

Then turn on ignition whilst TPS disconnected, then reconnect TPS still with ignition on then turn ignition off back on and restart

Thank you for helping out, you mentioned carbs, will it work with my fazer even though it is fuel injection and not carburated?
And I need to find a good manual with instructions on where is the TPS located, I never had such an advance bike

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2014, 09:07:50 pm »
Hi arieljt.

Welcome to the forum.

Some questions so that the people in the know can help you a bit more:-

- are you in the United Kingdom?...or another country?.

- is your bike a 1999 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer?.

- do you have a picture of the bike?.

Thanks

Nog
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

keratos

« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2014, 09:09:45 pm »

Thank you for helping out, you mentioned carbs, will it work with my fazer even though it is fuel injection and not carburated?
And I need to find a good manual with instructions on where is the TPS located, I never had such an advance bike
It will be on the side of the injectors then. Right side when your sat on bike. Big black thing. You can't miss it
« Last Edit: 02 August 2014, 09:12:39 pm by keratos »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
Am i missing something here?
A 98/99 FZS600 is carbed not injected.

Do a search above for TPS, i've written the error codes in several posts.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

keratos

« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2014, 09:19:47 pm »
Am i missing something here?
A 98/99 FZS600 is carbed not injected.

Do a search above for TPS, i've written the error codes in several posts.
Yeah. The OP says FI but I thought FI came years later... until the fz6

BTW I searched TPS and couldn't find your thread on error codes. I already have them but thought I'd mention it
« Last Edit: 02 August 2014, 09:22:24 pm by keratos »

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2014, 09:36:58 pm »
Sorry for causing misunderstandings, i'm not sure myself of the exact model, its 99 and it's fuel injections.
I recently moved to Germany and bought this bike, here are some pictures I already had:

I can take more pictures tomorrow as it's dark and raining now, and thank you all once again for helping!

keratos

« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2014, 09:39:45 pm »
That's not fuel injection
They didn't do fi in 99 on fazer
I can see the carbs, right side of bike (your 1st pic) and I can see the TPS on the side with a white plug and it's to the left of the cooling fins on side of carbs 15cm before the rubber protector for the fuel tank . All on the first picture
« Last Edit: 02 August 2014, 09:50:06 pm by keratos »

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2014, 09:53:38 pm »
That's not fuel injection
They didn't do fi in 99 on fazer
I can see the carbs, right side of bike (your 1st pic) and I can see the TPS on the side with a white plug and it's to the left of the cooling fins on side of carbs 15cm before the rubber protector for the fuel tank . All on the first picture

Well, apparently the guy was full of shit I guess, thanks for pointing out. Is this the TPS?:

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2014, 09:57:21 pm »

Hello again

Looks like quite a nice bike.....and as keratis says it is a Carb engine, not fuel injected........FZS600 fazer.

The fazer was not fuel injected until 2003 with the FZ6 fazer.

Anyway that is by the by....you need to sort out your 5k tacho issue......as Darrsi says if you use the search function on this forum he has listed the different codes and meanings of different tacho needle indications.

keratos

« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2014, 09:59:25 pm »
Yes. That is the TPS
Try what I suggested and also...
follow Darrsi's guide
« Last Edit: 02 August 2014, 10:00:49 pm by keratos »

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2014, 10:00:56 pm »
Thanks! I looked for codes regarding 5K techo, but didn't find, so i'll search for the TPS guide and will report back.

keratos

« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2014, 10:01:51 pm »
i Repeat. Try what I suggested and tell us what happens

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2014, 10:08:45 pm »
Thanks! I looked for codes regarding 5K techo, but didn't find, so i'll search for the TPS guide and will report back.

I searched TPS and found the following recent thread...take a slow read through it and there will be useful info for you.......at a quick glance it looks like 5K is a good code but that you need to complete the setting up process......but dont quote me on that as i only glanced at the thread and I've never done it before.

Here is the thread.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,13864.msg157056.html#msg157056

Good luck.

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2014, 10:11:10 pm »
i Repeat. Try what I suggested and tell us what happens

Will do, tomorrow everything is closed and I don't have any contact cleaning spray, so the day after that i'll report back.
Thank you once again!  :)

keratos

« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
you might not need the contact cleaner. The electrics could have got "stuck". If doing what I suggest doesnt clear the error (rev counter showing 5,000) then clean contacts. If still 5,000 then we need to diagnose the electrics which I can help with if needed.

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2014, 09:44:35 am »

I searched TPS and found the following recent thread...take a slow read through it and there will be useful info for you.......at a quick glance it looks like 5K is a good code but that you need to complete the setting up process......but dont quote me on that as i only glanced at the thread and I've never done it

Thank you, I thought about the possibility that the TPS is stuck (?) at the setup mode, but in my case the tacho shows 5K regardless if I plug the TPS cable out and in, I don't know what I can do in that case.
I've tried what keratos suggested - cleaning the contacts but its still the same.
Here's a video:
http://videobam.com/pyvmM

keratos

« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2014, 10:04:17 am »
OK. We can test the electrics. My hunch is that the TPS is faulty or the wiring to it is faulty.
Have you got a multimeter that tests for CONTINUITY and RESISTANCE . if not you need to by one. Prices's vary to quality. Mine cost £350 but you can pick a simple one up from an automotive shop for less than £20. Come back when you have one and we run a few tests

arieljt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2014, 10:16:41 am »
OK. We can test the electrics. My hunch is that the TPS is faulty or the wiring to it is faulty.
Have you got a multimeter that tests for CONTINUITY and RESISTANCE . if not you need to by one. Prices's vary to quality. Mine cost £350 but you can pick a simple one up from an automotive shop for less than £20. Come back when you have one and we run a few tests
I have a good old fluke multimeter! Please guide me through  :D

keratos

« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2014, 10:32:55 am »
OK.

access the ignitor unit. Its under the rear cowling so you will need to take this off. Take off grab bars. (4 allen bolts). Take off cowling note the screws under the cowling (metal and those plastic type things) underneath on both sides of the cowling. The ignitor unit has several plugs (harness) going into it; one harness has three wires of colour: BLUE, YELLOW, BLACK/BLUE . Remove that harness. Remove the TPS harness  at the TPS sensor end (you've already done that if you have followed my instruction above). TPS Harness has the same colours. You now have two harnesses in your hand which are both ends of the TPS lead (one from TPS, one into Ignitor) Using the meter in CONTINUITY mode, check for continuity across all three wires. ie. touch BLUE on one harness end, touch BLUE on the other harness. "BEEP" ?? If three BEEPS (three colours) come back. If not then check your wiring for breaks/faults - which will be a nightmare as you will need to remove the TPS wiring from the bike so that you are holding these two harnesses on a workbench as one single end to end cable.

If you get three BEEPS, come back - wiring is good and the fault is likely to be the TPS unit which we can check simply and replace simply

As you own a fluke I'm presuming you are not a novice in electrics so am I ok to dispense with the electrical dumbing down - so as not to unduly patronise you and make this post much simpler  :b
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 10:42:30 am by keratos »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2014, 11:04:44 am »
OK.

access the ignitor unit. Its under the rear cowling so you will need to take this off. Take off grab bars. (4 allen bolts). Take off cowling note the screws under the cowling (metal and those plastic type things) underneath on both sides of the cowling. The ignitor unit has several plugs (harness) going into it; one harness has three wires of colour: BLUE, YELLOW, BLACK/BLUE . Remove that harness. Remove the TPS harness  at the TPS sensor end (you've already done that if you have followed my instruction above). TPS Harness has the same colours. You now have two harnesses in your hand which are both ends of the TPS lead (one from TPS, one into Ignitor) Using the meter in CONTINUITY mode, check for continuity across all three wires. ie. touch BLUE on one harness end, touch BLUE on the other harness. "BEEP" ?? If three BEEPS (three colours) come back. If not then check your wiring for breaks/faults - which will be a nightmare as you will need to remove the TPS wiring from the bike so that you are holding these two harnesses on a workbench as one single end to end cable.

If you get three BEEPS, come back - wiring is good and the fault is likely to be the TPS unit which we can check simply and replace simply

As you own a fluke I'm presuming you are not a novice in electrics so am I ok to dispense with the electrical dumbing down - so as not to unduly patronise you and make this post much simpler  :b

Two things

1. Unplug the TPS turn on the ignition switch, does the rev counter remain at 0 or go to 3000.
now Plug the TPs back in, what does the rev counter do?

2. Keratos, You electrical test advice is good, but there is no need to remove the grab rail or remove the cowling to disconnect the ECU.

Remove the rear stop/tail light unit to give access. it is held on with to 10mm bolts behind the tool kit, you can then undo the connecters to the ECU. Have done this loads of time when fault finding and testing ECUs. A bit fiddley but a lot less hassle than removing all the cowling if you have a Givi Carrier fitted.

3. Not all meters have a beep system  :)

keratos

« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2014, 11:07:54 am »
Ahem, with respect...

Remove cowling makes it easier

He has a fluke so it has a beep system

He didn't need to do your test because he had already put the TPS in setup mode and it goes to 5k

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2014, 11:25:14 am »
Just making a point for those who may not know and have a rear rack fitted. :)

15 minutes will have the tail light out, your ECU to TPS test done and all back together. How can I be so sure, I did it yesterday :)

The simplest thing to do is remove the TPS.

Check the carburettor to ensure the projection end in not broken or damaged.

Turn the TPS using a flat screwdriver to see if the Rev counter changes and if it does replace the TPS if it remains at 5000 replace the TPS.

The TPS can go high resistance, but that would show 10K.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 11:34:36 am by unfazed »

keratos

« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2014, 11:28:09 am »
Good point. I should provide info making no assumptions as to who may read this thread in future. Good point
Yea 15 to 20 mins  is what it took me and I removed the cowling  :lol but we shall see if he can do it with or without removal of cowling.... I prefer to remove for ease of access and I have a Givi top box on so it involved a bit more, but only a few minutes.
He should first check the wiring through, to remove that potential from the problem domain as any TPS issue may be masked or affected by poor connections/wiring. Its a simple check. Then move to the TPS after we have confirmed good wiring/connections from TPS to ICU.

Just a minor point , an ECU = Electronic Control Unit as far as my electronic engineering MSc went - also referred to as ECM (Electronic Control Module) which are typically multifunctional and manage various logic circuits associated with automotive applications - new vehicles ECU are quite advanced and include all sorts of applications from tyre pressure to advanced driving modes. However this subject Fazer unit is - as I observe the simple wiring diagram - only preoccupied with the service of the ignition system so technically is an ICU (Ignition control unit) although yamaha termed it a Ignitor. Very minor point not changing the diagnostic for arieljt

EDIT: I'm off to my usual Sunday lunchtime pint and scampi in a minute so please carry on with unfazed who is familiar with TPS problems and more learned with  a Fazer than moi !. 
Dont forget to check the TPS resistance arieljt:
1. disconnect TPS harness from TPS unit
2. Measure resistance across the TPS terminal where the BLUE and BLACK.BLUE wires connect. this is the TPS terminals not the harness. should be 3.5 to 6.5 +/- 0.5 Kohms
3. Measure resistance across YELLOW and BLACK/BLUE TPS Terminals whilst moving the throttle. again , TPS terminals not the harness. should be zero to 5  +/- 1.5 Kohms
if either of these readings are out , then replace the TPS. If ok and wiring ok then the ICU needs replacing
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 12:05:00 pm by keratos »