Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: Chain and sprocket question  (Read 6020 times)

bellycgb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Chain and sprocket question
« on: 26 July 2013, 06:59:11 pm »
OK so ive just bought this DID chain and sprocket kit from ebay :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321040757202, it arrived today and a couple of things puzzled me,

the front and rear sprockets are different brands - powerite front  and jt back, is this normal?
the auction says its a VXBG chain with is the heavy duty one but on the chain itself it says VX which is the standard one? any other way to tell what chain you have?

have a look
« Last Edit: 26 July 2013, 07:07:04 pm by bellycgb »

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Chain and sprocket question
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2013, 07:55:53 pm »
I've never bought a chain so I'm no expert but a quick google leads me to believe GB means gold & black, not heavy duty.
Heavy duty is just what they call their chain that isn't gold & black.
That ad is definitely for gold & black chain (which costs more) so you've been had.
Wouldn't worry about the sprockets though.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2013, 08:45:21 pm »
The DID VX is a heavier duty chain to standard, and are very good, I tried the zvm-x extra heavy duty and it only lasted the same for me so isn't worth the extra (in my experience)
JT sprockets are good, not heard of the other one you've been given but there is no issue having different makes front and back!
Some say...

bellycgb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2013, 08:09:50 am »
I've never bought a chain so I'm no expert but a quick google leads me to believe GB means gold & black, not heavy duty.
Heavy duty is just what they call their chain that isn't gold & black.
That ad is definitely for gold & black chain (which costs more) so you've been had.
Wouldn't worry about the sprockets though.

The chain in black and gold never realised that's what the GB part was lol  :rollin

The DID VX is a heavier duty chain to standard, and are very good, I tried the zvm-x extra heavy duty and it only lasted the same for me so isn't worth the extra (in my experience)
JT sprockets are good, not heard of the other one you've been given but there is no issue having different makes front and back!

Cool that's good to know

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2013, 08:20:27 am »
Hope you like cleaning your chain!! As it doesn't stay gold for long!!  :grumble :smokin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2013, 09:17:23 am »
Hope you like cleaning your chain!! As it doesn't stay gold for long!!  :grumble :smokin

After you've been for a ride and lubed your chain, spray brake cleaner on a rag and rub it over the visible side of the chain, without soaking it, and it'll look like new in no time!  :D
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2013, 09:46:08 am »

After you've been for a ride and lubed your chain, spray brake cleaner on a rag and rub it over the visible side of the chain, without soaking it, and it'll look like new in no time!  :D

Cheers for that Darrsi... I shall give that go!!  :smokin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2013, 09:56:43 am »

You're just cleaning the outer though, so don't soak it enough to get into the rivets otherwise you'll dry it out.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2013, 10:09:58 am »

You're just cleaning the outer though, so don't soak it enough to get into the rivets otherwise you'll dry it out.

Roger D  :lol

bellycgb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2013, 09:27:54 am »
The first of many shiny new parts to be fitted. Operation phoenix is GO!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2013, 09:37:21 am »
WD40 will clean the outer plates with no risk of stripping lubricant like the brake cleaner could!
Some say...

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2013, 11:07:54 am »
WD40 will clean the outer plates with no risk of stripping lubricant like the brake cleaner could!

WD 40 is what I tend to use... only prob with it is, it usually attracts dust and crap... well IMO  :rolleyes

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2013, 01:11:55 pm »

WD 40 is what I tend to use... only prob with it is, it usually attracts dust and crap... well IMO  :rolleyes
It leaves a coating on anything which attracts all kinds of crud, but then cleans off easily again, we're talking about a chain here, IMO its supposed to look black and oily!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2013, 01:17:59 pm »

It leaves a coating on anything which attracts all kinds of crud, but then cleans off easily again, we're talking about a chain here, IMO its supposed to look black and oily!

But gold is pretty  :D 
« Last Edit: 28 July 2013, 01:50:31 pm by darrsi »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2013, 07:21:41 pm »

Pretty much my mind set as well :P Just keep mine topped up with lube and clean it when it gets a bit too pastey :P

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2013, 12:10:36 pm »

The entire left side of my swingarm is black, let alone the chain   :look  :D

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #16 on: 09 August 2013, 11:12:40 am »
Took the sprocket cover off mine yesterday, been getting noises and vibes through the footrests that pointed to a possible worn chain and sprockets, plus i was rather paranoid about the sprocket nut loosening problem.
Happy days, the sprocket nut is tight but both the chain and sprockets are due for replacement, boo!
Cleaned all the crap out of the cover and around the sprocket, discarded the cover gasket, which was in bits anyway and re-fitted the cover and made the necessary adjustment to the clutch to compensate for the missing gasket.
My chain cleaning routine has usually been a case of cleaning the chain with WD40, then wiping the excess off with a rag, then using a paintbrush to grease the chain with LM grease, i really don't like the spray type chain lubes, maybe i'm just old fashioned?
Anyway, just about to order the 12mm front sprocket nut and tab washer and a new chain and sprocket kit.

G ; )
Life's a long song....