Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:33 pm

Author Topic: Olympic Conclusions  (Read 15095 times)

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic Conclusions
« Reply #75 on: 19 August 2012, 07:01:04 pm »
Yawn.....

Can't you take this elsewhere if you want to fight?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 19 August 2012, 07:14:45 pm »
Ultimately I think we both want social justice but approach it from different angles. In this country the people are governed by consent, and as previously mention the alternative we have in law (being English) is to withdraw that consent. It's perfectly lawful under common law. Slaninar look up 'Lawful rebellion'.

The day civil disobedience and protest is not tolerated, well it's generally a good sign that your democracy is dead.  Check out what's going down in Russia right now. 

Not that to influence government or policy you have to do either, but sometimes it is the only way.   It is however in this climate of fear and high security, intense surveillance  and multi-national very conservative right wing employers increasingly difficult for people to stand up and openly express their concerns. 

Add that to three political parties in a UK sense that all look the same, say and do roughly the same things.  Well you do wonder about the health of our democracy in a UK wide sense.  We've also failed spectacularly to kill off the first past the post system that has driven us into this centre right straight jacket.  Add in the money that the big three parties (though it'll be back to two shortly) have, and what hope is there for real political democracy.   That's another reason for me wanting Independence, democracy in the UK is dying on it's feet.   And it's got now't to do with EU membership.

that unrest and civil disobedience will follow.

It may come due to social injustice, no jobs, no community, no hope, an ever increasing gap between those with and those without.  Company directors stealing ever bigger piles of cash, and making sure that not just they don't pay tax but their company pays no corporation tax, while they keep screwing their employees terms and conditions, as well as drawing up black lists of potential 'trouble makers'.   Add in to that a total disconnect with politics, two big parties that are both the same.  And sure, at some point the lid could come flying off the pressure cooker.
Some in the EU may dream of a federal Europe, but the reality was it could never be, we were always far too diverse for that,  and now that dream is in absolute tatters.   It may be time to review and reform the EU, but dismantle it or pull out - never.  And the EU is most certainly not the cause of our current woes, it's a factor, but not the cause and getting out will only make the UK's current woes considerably worse, and then some.

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19 August 2012, 08:24:20 pm »
Beer makes women look pretty.
what! even scottish women :lol

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 19 August 2012, 09:41:12 pm »

But you wanted an English one?  Good to see you have finally accepted that that is simply not possible. 

Obfuscation on your part. I stated that I wanted an in/out referendum plain and simple, along it appears, with a frighteningly large percentage of the population if the wriggling of the political classes is anything to go by. So you now admit that a referendum is possible having said it wasn't?

No they are not.  Wrong again.   Powers that are devolved cannot be overruled by Westminster. Blah blah... Westminster quickly did a U-turn.

So you are saying that to overrule the devolved parliament would be unconstitutional is that it?

So pretty minor stuff.  Perhaps just you've been reading the Daily Mail or something. 

Ah! We're back with the attempted stereotyping are we. No I don't read the daily mail actually not that it matters. Yes pretty minor stuff, like incitement to murder, terrorism, overcrowded Hospitals and schools, crippling fuel bills, attacks on christianity - you know the sort of thing, don't know what all the fuss is about really.

I'm happy to stick a very large bet on the UK staying in the EU forever and a day

Will you be betting that in Greek Euro's, Italian Portugese or Spanish?

Under the dispersal programme Scotland has taken quite a large slice of the UK's Asylum Seekers over the last 10 years or so.   I've been involved with campaigning on refugee rights and around integration projects for quite some time. 

Wrong again. ;)

But anyway you didn't answer my question.  Why am I bothering? 

Because you can't help yourself, it comes across in the tone of your posts.

The day civil disobedience and protest is not tolerated, well it's generally a good sign that your democracy is dead.   

http://www.ukcolumn.org/article/roger-hayes-arrested-tried-secret-court-imprisoned

Some in the EU may dream of a federal Europe, but the reality was it could never be, we were always far too diverse for that,  and now that dream is in absolute tatters.   It may be time to review and reform the EU, but dismantle it or pull out - never.  And the EU is most certainly not the cause of our current woes, it's a factor, but not the cause and getting out will only make the UK's current woes considerably worse, and then some.

I'm glad you are finally admitting what I've been saying all along. Now the only thing that remains is to let the people decide if they wish to be in or out rather than persons like yourself tell them it's in for their own good.  It's called democracy, you never know it might even catch on. :)

It's been fun, enjoy the Commonwealth games, hosted by Scotland huh? Ahh! So that's why no-one appears to care.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 19 August 2012, 11:00:41 pm »

I stated that I wanted an in/out referendum plain and simple, along it appears, with a frighteningly large percentage of the population if the wriggling of the political classes is anything to go by. So you now admit that a referendum is possible having said it wasn't?

No you stated you wanted an in/out EU referendum in England.  I stated correctly that that simply is not possible.

So you are saying that to overrule the devolved parliament would be unconstitutional is that it?

Nope.  No you can't over rule devolved powers. 

Yes pretty minor stuff, like incitement to murder, terrorism, overcrowded Hospitals and schools, crippling fuel bills, attacks on christianity - you know the sort of thing, don't know what all the fuss is about really.

And where does the EU come into all this? 

Umm your chart is not concerning asylum seekers.   I was referring to asylum seekers.

However putting that aside it shows Scotland having 5% of "foreign-born population"  If you take into account Scotland's population, and the increase in recent years, it's a fair figure.  You have just shot down your own arguement. 

Another chart on that site suggests about 250,000 in Scotland.  And I hazard a guess that those will be concentrated in the central belt particularly Glasgow.  Oh look your chart shows over 300,000 plus a 133% increase in the last 15 years, the second highest in the UK!  And little in the way of problems!  Oh, I wonder how we managed that!

Because you can't help yourself, it comes across in the tone of your posts.

Thank-you.  Still not answering the question though, are you?

It's called democracy, you never know it might even catch on.

Yup and as you know we don't hold referendums on every issue.   And you have yet to come up with one valid reason why we should leave the EU. :) 

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #80 on: 20 August 2012, 06:42:32 am »

Is it really that bad? I heard stories about british women, but thought they were just rumours.

Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

ozpom

• FOC-U Knife wielding Psycho
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 20 August 2012, 08:36:20 am »
Not quite the can of worms I expected to open but it'll do   :lurk
Sadness is just another word for not enough coffee

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 20 August 2012, 03:41:00 pm »
VNA I haven’t read your latest post. I omitted to read it not because I think you have nothing to say, but for the sake of other forum members I don’t wish to perpetuate this discussion ad nauseum.  Had I read your post I would once again feel compelled to answer it.

Regardless of several time consuming posts on both our parts no doubt our individual opinions remain as before.  I must say that I struggled with the contradictions within your points of view, but such is the complexity of the subject matter I suppose. Some of the points I struggled with was you outlook on diversity. If I understand correctly your position is that diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism is a good thing. We must all learn from each other’s points of view you say, unless you happen to be one of the Four Million 275,000  Britons that read a certain daily newspaper wherein you become a person with a tainted view that has no validity. Had that readership been an ethnic minority you would no doubt be scandalised by such a suggestion?

You speak of having to work together to achieve cohesion but want for yourself a separate Scotland? You rail against imperialism but look forward to the Commonwealth games – itself a legacy of imperialism. You appear to be aware of the dangers of globalism, which you quite rightly label the ‘New Imperialism’ yet fail to understand that you are engaged in its work. I ask for unity of purpose, you ask to celebrate diversity. The figures on Immigration  show only legal Immigrants, there are in addition an estimated 1,000,000 illegal immigrants and rising. I sincerely doubt they are all hiding in Scotland, which means the rest of us carry the additional burden you appear not to see, and which in turn explains our concern.

The maxim ‘Divide and conquer’ is usually attributed to Julius Ceasar , but it holds true as a political maxim throughout the ages. In the trade union movement Unity is strength, therefore to subjugate a people one first needs to create division. With reference the EU you noted that we are ‘too diverse to unite’, more so as a nation with the addition of many additional cultures and factions - that way lies sectarianism.

In politics they have a trick which they refer to as the Cause-effect-solution ploy. You have seen it used recently with the Blair Iraq war. A Weapons of mass destruction lie leads to Invasion of Iraq = Cause.  Mass immigration/ terrorist attacks follow on UK soil = Effect. Tighten up security, greater loss of personal liberties ensues, increased powers of government snooping and surveillance = offered as a Solution.Had the government proposed those increased draconian measures of detention, snooping, and surveillance without step 1 and 2 the public would not have accepted them, but instigate step 1 and 2 and the public feel that such measures in step 3 are necessary and freely give away yet more of their liberty.

http://www.ukcolumn.org/article/roger-hayes-arrested-tried-secret-court-imprisoned
http://www.ukcolumn.org/article/update-arrest-roger-hayes

[/size]You commented to the effect that the day civil disobedience results in imprisonment will be the day that democracy dies. Above are links (hope they work) I provide to show that is exactly what is happening in Britain and more so in the EU where scientific writers and historians are being imprisoned for ‘questioning’ the official line. For merely asking to see the supporting evidence of an official claim they are imprisoned. An Orwellian prelude of things to come, or perhaps no matter as they may be daily Mail readers?I’ll end by saying that having re-read my last comment about people not caring about the Commonwealth games due to it being in Scotland I noted that it didn’t come across in the way it was intended, but having posted there is no edit function. I actually meant that the desirability of watching a sporting event in Scotland (due to oft inclement weather) wasn’t something that would fill me with joy, it was not meant to sound as a slur so my apologies if it came across that way.Slaninar - the cure is not beer - Just find a good looking woman in the first place! . [/font] :lol [/font][/size] [/color]
[/size] [/color]
[/size]

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 20 August 2012, 05:31:32 pm »
Jesus man, I thought the Olympics were great!

That's my conclusion,,,,,

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #84 on: 20 August 2012, 06:09:16 pm »
the cure is not beer - Just find a good looking woman in the first place! :lol

I still have to get HER drunk.    :rolleyes
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 20 August 2012, 07:44:36 pm »

Why do you think they invented* Whisky

*assuming they did, can't be arsed to wiki it

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 20 August 2012, 07:59:46 pm »
the cure is not beer - Just find a good looking woman in the first place! :lol

I still have to get HER drunk.    :rolleyes

:lol :lol

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20 August 2012, 08:19:18 pm »
I live in London (normally, like...) and I think pretty much every one of my friends is a non-UK-born type.

Italians
Saffers
French
Norwegians
Belgians
Australians
Germans
Brazilians
Polish

And really, they make the place brilliant. The world is a much better place when people aren't all the same.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 20 August 2012, 09:02:36 pm »
VNA I haven’t read your latest post.

I stopped right there with yours
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol   

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 20 August 2012, 09:35:30 pm »
Fairy nuff.  :lol :lol

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 21 August 2012, 07:12:05 pm »
also spare a thought for the brightest and best of our young people in the armed forces, currently overseas fighting and dying

Don't sound very bright to me.

By your reasoning the smart ones will be those hanging around your local street corner supping Cider I take it?

Not at all and I'm not sure how (or why) anyone could read my post and draw that conclusion.
The last time I checked, young people had more than the two options of, being abusively drunk, or killing humans for a living.
The majority of society live their lives by simply getting an education, getting a job, contributing positively to society and raising children that will go on to do the same.
By any measure, THAT'S the brightest and best way for anyone to live their life. :)
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...