Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:38 pm

Author Topic: Olympic Conclusions  (Read 15096 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic Conclusions
« Reply #50 on: 18 August 2012, 12:12:47 am »
....Well said rusty!!..... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #51 on: 18 August 2012, 07:50:29 am »
I'll end on Slaninars honest comment. Being an immigrant (from danger) himself he reminds us that "most immigrants didn't come here for the culture they came for the money". Well said Slaninar, had I said that even though it were true I would have been castigated by the very same people who advocate enforced multiculturalism. Hand wringing and accusations of BNP and EDL sympathies would abound, just as their names were raised earlier simply because I offered an opposing point of view.

I'm not an immigrant. Not myself. Wouldn't want to be unless really forced. My city has been full of refugies from other republics since 1992. Completely changed the look of it, the culture (for a more savage one IMO). And these are the same nation people, not some foreigners - same nation, but from rural, or mountainous parts. Bad manners, smuggling etc. So I completely understand how a UK born man could feel about immigrants. They come because they have to, that is OK, but you don't have to like them.

Having said all this, once you realise they are DIFFERENT, not better or worse, you can live with it. All the things have both good and bad sides, try to make the most of it.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 18 August 2012, 08:49:18 am »
While I don't agree that immigrants come because they have to, I totally understand Slaninar.

My position is not one of anti-immigration, racism, or bigotry which might easily be attributed to my comments. I look at this purely from a point of genuine concern. I have seen my home town totally transformed due to mass immigration over a very short period, and I grow weary of the political correctness that tells me that I must celebrate the fact.The infrastructure is crumbling and there aren't sufficient jobs, schools or houses. As you say I don't have to like it, but thanks to our politicians I do have to live it.

No more from me on this subject, emotive topics often end badly. :)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #53 on: 18 August 2012, 11:28:23 am »
Thanks, think you've just illustrated why I have no time for football quite nicely.

No offence meant to your mahood or anything like that, man. Just from what you wrote I thought you were talking about something you don't really understand. Like you confirmed now. That's cool. No need to like every sport. My point was pro footballers are tough men and very skillfull. No matter how well they're paid when they reach the top (and that's just 1%), it takes a lot and it's not for everyone. Reaction to your and Graham's posts. The amount of money they get, whether it's "worth" it is irrelevant - they are good sportsmen.

While I don't agree that immigrants come because they have to, I totally understand Slaninar.

My position is not one of anti-immigration, racism, or bigotry which might easily be attributed to my comments. I look at this purely from a point of genuine concern. I have seen my home town totally transformed due to mass immigration over a very short period, and I grow weary of the political correctness that tells me that I must celebrate the fact.The infrastructure is crumbling and there aren't sufficient jobs, schools or houses. As you say I don't have to like it, but thanks to our politicians I do have to live it.

I 100% understand anti-immigration, even racism. While we here don't have blacks, there are chineese and gypsies. 90% of gypsies will steall your wallet if they have an opportunity. It is experience. My friend lives in a part of town full of gypsies and can't leave anything in the yard. They steal everything. He doesn't hate them for being gypsies, but when he sees a gypsie, he is almost certain he should keep his wallet close. The only thing that differs him from stupid nazi idiots is that, when he meets a MAN, he doesn't care for the nationality/coloru/religion - he judges that particular person by his human qualities. But for people just crossing the street, public places etc, he is as gipsy hating as they come.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18 August 2012, 11:55:34 am »

You may hold the odd personal notion that England has no government/Parliament but that doesn't make it so. Do we live in a democracy or no?

It's not a personal notion, it's a fact.  For England to hold an in/out referendum on the EU, it would first have to have a referendum on English Independance.  The UK could hold an in/out referendum, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could try and stop it, though it's far from clear if they could actually do anything about it.  Again I think you are confused, England is not Britain or the UK.

As for the old chestnut about economic suicide. We currently export more elsewhere than we do to Europe, it's simply a matter of strengthening those markets.

Perhaps, but Europe is our single biggest market, we have unrestricted access and influence over how it operates.  A countries immediate trading partners are always it's most important economic partners.  While successive UK governments have sold off and run down our industry, we are now waking up to the importance of actually making stuff.  A big slice of our industry is now foreign companies who came to the UK to access the EU single market, they came on the understanding that they would always have unrestricted access to the biggest single market in the world. 

The hope of those wanting out, is that we will maintain full access, but the reality is that if we do there will be no guarantees and we will have no influence over any decision making within the EU.  It's already making some of our biggest manufacturers nervous, and don't forget that these same firms are the ones selling round the globe from the UK.  If they ain't happy, if they don't see a steady pound and long term guaranteed access to the EU they'll get on the ferry to the EU and leave.    Trust me, we ain't gonna leave the EU. 

When David Cameron played his veto card recently, he was basically playing to a domestic audience, problem was he pissed off his EU partners and they called his bluff, he won't make that same mistake twice.

most immigrants didn't come here for the culture they came for the money

Well yeah, most immigrants come from the EU.  Was the Empire built to learn about other cultures, or was it about exploitation and making money?

Oh How flippantly a person's views are dismissed when they don't concur

I didn't dismiss them, I was pointing out that there was nothing to comment on.  No substance.  Politicians, for example, love that sort of language, it sounds if they are saying something when in fact they have said nothing. 

Hand wringing and accusations of BNP and EDL sympathies would abound, just as their names were raised earlier simply because I offered an opposing point of view.

I didn't accuse you of BNP or EDL sympathies.  There has been quite a bit of support for right wing extremists and fascists recently on this forum, ie BNP, EDL etc, that's what I was referring to.

The infrastructure is crumbling and there aren't sufficient jobs, schools or houses.

That's down to economic miss management.  We had the world's worst banker - Sir Fred the Shred, who was best friends with the worst chancellor in British history - Gordon Brown.   We have a country still obsessed with privatisation, driving down wages terms and conditions, raising taxes for the poor and allowing the rich to pay nothing. 

Immigrants and minorities always make a handy scapegoat, but immigrants and minorities are not to blame for the current economic mess that we have in the UK. 

As for multicultural success, just look at team GB, and what an astounding success it was.  I hope Wee Eck has taken note and is somehow finding real funding for Team Scotland for the Commonwealth Games in 2014. Bring on the real games, bring on Glasgow 2014!

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18 August 2012, 04:27:14 pm »
Point 1:

The in out EU referendum can take place without further ado. Call it Britain, call it the UK ( a laughable misnomer if ever there was one) call it whatever you like but the people of these islands who are subject of the same head of state are entitled to a referendum on their future. There need be no prior declaration of independence or anything like it, it is for the subjects of the queen who are inhabitants of these islands decide. Nowhere in English law does it require the permission of others to decide our fate.

As I mentioned earlier I genuinely do hope Scotland gains independence, although anyone with an abacus might then see problems on the horizon. I predict that Scottish youth will soon after be obliged to pay for their own education, and the small population of Scotland will be expected to pay more taxes to support it's own health and welfare costs. The next step will be a cap in hand to the EU, followed after rebuttal, by inviting Chinese investment or perhaps the offer of a naval base for big cash.

On the question of substance:

There is no substance in "There are no races just the human race" type statements. It's akin to saying there are no political boundaries, only geographical ones - yet there they are and so often under dispute. I was lucky enough to be born under English common law which bestows certain inalienable rights in perpetuity. One such right is that I, and only I, can relinquish them. A person cannot give them away on my behalf i.e. give away what is not his to give. That isn't a sound bite it is fact under English common law. Look it up, it's in the Magna Carta.

On Immigration.

You state that 'Most immigrants come from the EU.' Please state your sources for this information. I know it to be untrue. It is a deliberately misleading ploy to deflect the truth of the scale of None EU immigrants. I put it to you that the majority of immigrants are Asian and somali African.

On crumbling infrastructure.

Your reply seems to accept that it is in evidence and has become a problem, but merely goes on to blame the architects of our misery. I care not who what or when, (for now) but I do care that it exists, and it must be addressed.  The immigrants are not a handy scapegoat, for the most part they are ballast.  You commented that the Empire had exploited their lands and alluded that they are in turn doing the same to us. Newsflash! Queen Victoria is dead. We can't be expected to pay the price.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #56 on: 18 August 2012, 06:22:09 pm »

Your reply seems to accept that it is in evidence and has become a problem, but merely goes on to blame the architects of our misery. I care not who what or when, (for now) but I do care that it exists, and it must be addressed.  The immigrants are not a handy scapegoat, for the most part they are ballast.  You commented that the Empire had exploited their lands and alluded that they are in turn doing the same to us. Newsflash! Queen Victoria is dead. We can't be expected to pay the price.

Can't agree. My country, for one, was devastated by economic embargo (sanctions) during the 90s. Then it was bombed. Then it was given credits at high interest rate which I knew we can't repay. It is being done all over the world. Rich are getting richer, buying practically whole countries for pieces of paper, backing it up with military supremacy. Look at Greece. Germans offered to BUY a whole island in order to repay Greece's debt.

And it's all democracy. I get to choose once every 4 years between 3 or 4 same, crooked politicians. And they will all, no matter which one I ellect, continue to sell out the whole country. Once a country gets too poor, people look for a way out, for a better life. They have every right to do so.

However, this is not fault of any "people", or nation. It's all politicians and big corporations. They are above all that. The only reason people in the "west" are left to live somehow in high standard i so that kids of those rich guys could grow in a more-less normal, healthy society. Why would anyone pay 10$ per hour, when Chinese have wits, manpower and ability to do it for 1$ per hour if even that much. For a short period of some 50sh years, while there was a present threat of communism taking over private capital, ordinary working class were allowed to live lika some sort of middle class. It is all diminishing now, no reason to keep them happy and well. Hope I'm wrong, but in a decade or two, it will all come to poor working class and a few rich guys - globaly. Middle class consisting of judges, police and the army to keep it all at nice and smooth.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18 August 2012, 07:19:43 pm »

The in out EU referendum can take place without further ado.
As I've pointed out, it is not going to happen.
Oh, English law is not applicable in Scotland.  And maybe just maybe you have grasped that England can't hold an in/out EU referendum?
As I mentioned earlier I genuinely do hope Scotland gains independence, although anyone with an abacus might then see problems on the horizon. I predict that Scottish youth will soon after be obliged to pay for their own education, and the small population of Scotland will be expected to pay more taxes to support it's own health and welfare costs. The next step will be a cap in hand to the EU, followed after rebuttal, by inviting Chinese investment or perhaps the offer of a naval base for big cash.

Whatever.

Firstly it's not about some mad rose tinted nationalism, it's about politics.  Scotland once again has a UK government it did not vote for.  We had 17 years years of Tory rule not that long ago that we did not vote for, and here we are again.
Economically, currently Scotland raises more in taxes for the exchequer than it receives back as the budget granted to it by the UK.  You won't find any independent economic experts that will state that Scottish independence is not viable.

There is no substance in "There are no races just the human race" type statements. It's akin to saying there are no political boundaries, only geographical ones - yet there they are and so often under dispute. I was lucky enough to be born under English common law which bestows certain inalienable rights in perpetuity. One such right is that I, and only I, can relinquish them. A person cannot give them away on my behalf i.e. give away what is not his to give. That isn't a sound bite it is fact under English common law. Look it up, it's in the Magna Carta.

I still don't know what you are on about.  What is it that you think 'they' are trying to take away from you, though you claim, whatever it is, they can't take it away anyway.  How very interesting!

You state that 'Most immigrants come from the EU.' Please state your sources for this information. I know it to be untrue. It is a deliberately misleading ploy to deflect the truth of the scale of None EU immigrants. I put it to you that the majority of immigrants are Asian and somali African.

OK, I'm behind the times.  Last year figures show Indians as the biggest number coming to the UK, they accounted for 12% of all immigrants.    The surge from the EU in recent years has been reversed with more leaving than coming in.

Your reply seems to accept that it is in evidence and has become a problem, but merely goes on to blame the architects of our misery.

Well yeah.  It wasn't difficult to see it coming.  Brown's miracle economy was no miracle, it was built on rising asset prices and credit.   Meanwhile you can be sure that our rich press barons will keep focusing on immigration and benefits scroungers etc etc.  Anything to keep people from thinking about how we are really getting screwed. 

Commonwealth games anyone?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18 August 2012, 07:22:52 pm »
And it's all democracy. I get to choose once every 4 years between 3 or 4 same, crooked politicians. And they will all, no matter which one I ellect, continue to sell out the whole country. Once a country gets too poor, people look for a way out, for a better life. They have every right to do so.

Perhaps that's becuase too many people think that's what democracy is.  A vote every few years.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #59 on: 18 August 2012, 08:36:09 pm »

Perhaps that's becuase too many people think that's what democracy is.  A vote every few years.

It comes down to that. You can't really change anything - if that was possible, they wouldn't allow democracy. Tell me how I can stop a corrupt government? Find evidence, proove it in court, organize enough people to protest (and get arrested probably)?

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 18 August 2012, 08:52:09 pm »
Slaninar I agree with you. The ills you describe are due to globalisation who's aim is the destruction of the nation state - which is what the EU is all about. This is why we must be free of it, despite VNA's protestations that it can't happen.

As I've pointed out, it is not going to happen.
Oh, English law is not applicable in Scotland.  And maybe just maybe you have grasped that England can't hold an in/out EU referendum?

English law need not be applicable in Scotland, furthermore should Scotland become independent it will become irrelevant in this equation. Which is why I too hope for independence, a nice little side effect.

Firstly it's not about some mad rose tinted nationalism, it's about politics.  Scotland once again has a UK government it did not vote for.  We had 17 years years of Tory rule not that long ago that we did not vote for, and here we are again.

The thrust of your argument appears to be that Scotland labours under an unelected government? And presumably you think this unfair and wish to break free from the union?

I still don't know what you are on about.  What is it that you think 'they' are trying to take away from you, though you claim, whatever it is, they can't take it away anyway.  How very interesting!

I'll link this to the point above. Many feel that England, or Britain if you include the other parties are also ruled by a government it didn't vote for - namely the EU. The sham puppet parade in Westminster no longer make the majority of our laws, thus cannot be considered to be representative of the people.

Just as Scotland wants independence from the UK, the remaining parties want independence from the EU. The 'They' you inquire about are therefore the EU mandarins who follow the globalist agenda. What it is they wish to remove is our Sovereignty, the right to be governed by and of ourselves. As I said, the Magna Carta guarantees personal sovereignty in perpetuity, something that was done by our forefathers who had the foresight to understand that now and again tyrants will attempt to remove our freedoms.

Well yeah.  It wasn't difficult to see it coming.  Brown's miracle economy was no miracle, it was built on rising asset prices and credit

Indeed it was, and as you say it wasn't difficult to see it coming, yet no notice was taken of those that could see it coming.  The same was true of mass immigration. Living in Britain in recent years has been akin to travelling on a coach which was intended for Blackpool, yet the driver decides all on his own that against the protestations of the passengers he'll take us to Bradford instead. When asked why he defied the will of the passengers the driver retorts;

"I don't think people want Blackpool so I'm not going to take you there, despite what it said on the front of the bus!"

Put succinctly, we saw the problems that mass immigration was causing but were ignored and smeared as racist. (Scotland absorbed only a tiny fraction of total immigration by the way - hardly affected in relative terms) We predicted that an economy built on borrowing was unsustainable but were dismissed as fools by the 'Iron Chancellor'. We now see the EU as a money pit and looming disaster and wish to leave, and are told we cannot by a chap that wants independence for Scotland for much the same reasons. Go figure!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 18 August 2012, 09:10:19 pm »
It comes down to that. You can't really change anything - if that was possible, they wouldn't allow democracy.

Then that's why we are focced.  Democracy isn't just for once every 4 or 5 years, it's for every day.  So perhaps the reason you are getting focced over is because nobody is prepared to engage in politics other than to hopelessly cast their vote every few years.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18 August 2012, 09:22:43 pm »
The in out EU referendum can take place without further ado.
furthermore should Scotland become independent it will become irrelevant in this equation. Which is why I too hope for independence, a nice little side effect.
Ah so it can go ahead without further ado, as long as Scotland votes for independence in 2014.  I see!  But it still won't be an English referendum, now will it?

The ills you describe are due to globalisation who's aim is the destruction of the nation state
Globalisation is the new imperialism.  It's the exploitation of empire without the need to govern.  What you need to do is move the Global free market towards a Global market based on fair trade and common standards.  Much like the EU.
Many feel that England, or Britain if you include the other parties are also ruled by a government it didn't vote for - namely the EU.
Can you explain how it is you feel that the EU rules you?

P
ut succinctly, we saw the problems that mass immigration was causing but were ignored and smeared as racist.
What problems?

We predicted that an economy built on borrowing was unsustainable but were dismissed as fools by the 'Iron Chancellor'.
Who is we?
We now see the EU as a money pit and looming disaster and wish to leave, and are told we cannot by a chap that wants independence for Scotland for much the same reasons.

I want Independence within the EU.   The fear that the Tories may pull out of Europe (though it's way over egged and it won't happen for the reasons I've outlined) is yet another good reason for Scotland to leave the UK.

Commonwealth games anybody?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #63 on: 18 August 2012, 10:15:24 pm »
It comes down to that. You can't really change anything - if that was possible, they wouldn't allow democracy.

Democracy isn't just for once every 4 or 5 years, it's for every day. 

In reality it is. Masses are brainwashed. All the consumerism hype. Little solidarity, more and more estranged. They are trying to destroy even families. Look at the new laws that let kids report their parrents for "abuse" and have them imprisoned (at least in my country - you can no longer smack your kid when it does something stupid - I'm against real abuse, but this is ridiculous). All made so pepole don't look far ahead, don't realise how they're all being fucked and even if they do realise - can't get organized and do anything. Facebook, mobile phones with cameras and microphones - Orwell's 1984 at it's best. Official government is "elected", changeable, but they're all the same, none of them can get publicity and campaign money if they are going to try doing anything against those who hold 99% of the wealth.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18 August 2012, 10:32:12 pm »
In reality it is. Masses are brainwashed. All the consumerism hype. Little solidarity, more and more estranged.

Yup exactly what I'm trying to say.  We get the government and society we deserve. 

Facebook, mobile phones with cameras and microphones

And the foc-u web site?

Except these things, as we have seen can also start revolutions against totalitarian dictators (whom have more often than not been supported by our democracy loving western governments)

It's a bit like the young lads at work who'll say to me "What's the union ever done for us?"  I'll reply "what have you done for the union?"

I'll point out that the safe work environment, a decent rate of pay, welfare facilities, pensions etc etc that we enjoy (some of us, for now), are all becuase their forefathers organised and fought for their rights.

Today, apparently, all we can do is sit back and watch it slip away, maybe cast our vote once every four or five years.  Or fight amongst ourselves over immigration and benefits cheats, maybe throwing what few pennies we have left on stupid lottery tickets as if it's the only way out of this pile of shite.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #65 on: 18 August 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

Except these things, as we have seen can also start revolutions against totalitarian dictators (whom have more often than not been supported by our democracy loving western governments)

You really buy that "spontaneous people rising"?  Hmm...

Today, apparently, all we can do is sit back and watch it slip away, maybe cast our vote once every four or five years.  Or fight amongst ourselves over immigration and benefits cheats, maybe throwing what few pennies we have left on stupid lottery tickets as if it's the only way out of this pile of shite.

Agree... except.. lottery tickets?! What about beer and pretty women?!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 18 August 2012, 10:42:26 pm »
Beer makes women look pretty.

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 19 August 2012, 01:16:43 am »
also spare a thought for the brightest and best of our young people in the armed forces, currently overseas fighting and dying
Don't sound very bright to me.
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 19 August 2012, 07:55:31 am »
Beer makes women look pretty.

Amen to that............

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 19 August 2012, 11:41:28 am »
also spare a thought for the brightest and best of our young people in the armed forces, currently overseas fighting and dying
Don't sound very bright to me.

They are intelligent, disciplined, self motivated and brave young individuals. It may not sound bright to you, but perhaps the yardstick you measure them by is one of different criterea.  By your reasoning the smart ones will be those hanging around your local street corner supping Cider I take it?

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 19 August 2012, 12:44:16 pm »
  Ah so it can go ahead without further ado, as long as Scotland votes for independence in 2014.  I see! But it still won't be an English referendum, now will it?

I don't understand your fixation with the English/ Scottish thing? Scotland is part of the UK whether you like it or not, therefore a UK wide referendum can be held. Devolved governments are still subservient to Westminster. Scotland could of course could do a Nick Clegg style spitting out of the Dummy over future independence, which is why it would be nice to have them out of the equation.

What you need to do is move the Global free market towards a Global market based on fair trade and common standards.  Much like the EU.

And what of the right to self determination? The EU is a federalist entity, and a corrupt one at that. Even without a referendum it would be enough to withhold all monetary contributions until such time as the books were signed off as balanced. That's a perfectly reasonable request don't you think? In these straightened times it would be remiss of us to do otherwise.

Can you explain how it is you feel that the EU rules you? 
Certainly, where would you like me to begin? Anything from directives on fuel to the type of light bulbs available. Green energy quotas that push up the cost of energy and blight the landscape, Islamic terrorists we can't deport, murderers that have a right to a family life - the list goes on. Now, in return can you tell me how you feel the EU benefits me?

What problems regarding mass immigration?

Well I did say that Scotland took proportionally less immigrants than any other part of the union, and if you have  to ask such a question then you're obviously unqualified to discuss it objectively. Maybe you should visit some of the area's that have experienced mass immigration over a so short a period to see for yourself? The problems that have arisen were inevitable, again it's a question of allowing passengers on a bus when the seats and standing room are full then acting surprised at the results. What problems you say? I see no ships?

Commonwealth games anybody?

I wonder if Scotland will be attending?

Olympics 2016 anybody?

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 19 August 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
In reality it is. Masses are brainwashed. All the consumerism hype. Little solidarity, more and more estranged.

Yup exactly what I'm trying to say.  We get the government and society we deserve. 

Facebook, mobile phones with cameras and microphones

And the foc-u web site?

It's a bit like the young lads at work who'll say to me "What's the union ever done for us?"  I'll reply "what have you done for the union?"

I'll point out that the safe work environment, a decent rate of pay, welfare facilities, pensions etc etc that we enjoy (some of us, for now), are all becuase their forefathers organised and fought for their rights.

I'll finish by saying I entirely agree with all of the above post VNR (shock-Horror:lol

Ultimately I think we both want social justice but approach it from different angles. In this country the people are governed by consent, and as previously mention the alternative we have in law (being English) is to withdraw that consent. It's perfectly lawful under common law. Slaninar look up 'Lawful rebellion'.

If successive governments continue to insist on bleeding the people white and over regulating every area of life, then I believe that unrest and civil disobedience will follow. The EU is flawed by fiscal irresponsibility and the tendency to micro manage our lives which is why I lean toward greater independence and the re asserting of national sovereignty. 

Only achievable if the nation tears itself away from the X factor for a while to see what's actually being done to the.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #72 on: 19 August 2012, 01:07:01 pm »
They are intelligent, disciplined, self motivated and brave young individuals. It may not sound bright to you, but perhaps the yardstick you measure them by is one of different criterea.  By your reasoning the smart ones will be those hanging around your local street corner supping Cider I take it?

Individual? No, last time I checked, in the army one is just a number. Paid to do as told, kill or be killed, without thinking.
Intelligent? Doubtful, considering the profession of choice.
Disciplined, self motivated, brave... could be.

goldfazer

• FOC-U Riding with Piles Expert
  • GP Hero
  • Expert Porn Star
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • AvBrief
« Reply #73 on: 19 August 2012, 03:55:21 pm »
Nazi's the lot of 'em.

Well, that's got that out of the way, and not before time ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 19 August 2012, 06:45:09 pm »

Scotland is part of the UK whether you like it or not, therefore a UK wide referendum can be held.

But you wanted an English one?  Good to see you have finally accepted that that is simply not possible.

Devolved governments are still subservient to Westminster.

No they are not.  Wrong again.   Powers that are devolved cannot be overruled by Westminster.  That Tony Blair basically did that to Jack McConnel got Labour wiped out when it came to the ballot box.  Labour's historic long term rule in Scotland is in tatters.
Westminster also told Wee Eck - you will not be holding a referendum on Scottish Independence as you have no legal right to do so, such matters are not devolved to The Scottish Parliament.  Wee Eck's response was, oh well, we'll just hold a consultative referendum and sort the legal stuff out later.  Westminster quickly did a U-turn. 

Certainly, where would you like me to begin? Anything from directives on fuel to the type of light bulbs available. Green energy quotas that push up the cost of energy and blight the landscape, Islamic terrorists we can't deport, murderers that have a right to a family life - the list goes on. Now, in return can you tell me how you feel the EU benefits me?

So pretty minor stuff.  Perhaps just you've been reading the Daily Mail or something.  So for the sake of getting out of the excellent Human Rights Charter, a few lightbulbs, and some green energy targets that ain't enforceable (non of which we objected to or were enforced on us) you are going to turn the UK's back on open access to the world's biggest single market, and watch half our industry pack up and move across the channel.  Nice one.
But I wouldn't worry, I'm happy to stick a very large bet on the UK staying in the EU forever and a day.  Sure there's danger at the moment, self interested wealthy loonies trying to get us out and they are finding influence, but the reality is, for the UK pulling out of the EU, it'll make the Euro crises look like a storm in the tea cup from our perspective.

Well I did say that Scotland took proportionally less immigrants than any other part of the union, and if you have  to ask such a question then you're obviously unqualified to discuss it objectively.

Really!  How nice of you to let me know so.   Under the dispersal programme Scotland has taken quite a large slice of the UK's Asylum Seekers over the last 10 years or so.   I've been involved with campaigning on refugee rights and around integration projects for quite some time.  One thing I've learned is that community cohesion  and integration doesn't happen by itself, you have to make it happen. 
But anyway you didn't answer my question.  Why am I bothering?
I wonder if Scotland will be attending?
Well we are hosting them.