Date: 01-06-24  Time: 03:11 am

Author Topic: thicker sprocket nut worth a check  (Read 11255 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: thicker sprocket nut worth a check
« Reply #50 on: 31 January 2017, 07:10:34 pm »
If you fitting new nut and sprocket just dremel the old one off making sure you don't touch the threads on the end of the shaft.

LOL! How long you been a mind reader Jules? I am just sorting out the stuff to remove the 12 mm nut if it proves to be a bugger like the 9 mm one was.
The mouth wash, tomato kethup and bananas play no part in the operation.
Who the Foc keeps mouth wash in their kitchen --------- or tomato sauce in their bathroom !
« Last Edit: 31 January 2017, 07:11:07 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 February 2017, 10:24:54 pm »
If you fitting new nut and sprocket just dremel the old one off making sure you don't touch the threads on the end of the shaft.

LOL! How long you been a mind reader Jules? I am just sorting out the stuff to remove the 12 mm nut if it proves to be a bugger like the 9 mm one was.
Who the Foc keeps mouth wash in their kitchen --------- or tomato sauce in their bathroom !

Who keeps mouthwash in the kitchen? You have obviously not had any of my Mrs cooking,  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 February 2017, 11:19:51 pm »

Prisoners?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 08 February 2017, 11:47:09 pm »
Actually at £10 its not that expensive (wonder how long it keeps after opening) I cant see myself using it for anything else.

Your cardboard tab picture is a good guide that explains the difference between a full fold up.Just a little thing you have your cardboard tabs opposite each other but the tabs are pre creased washer are adjacent to each other.
More info on the subject here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9920.0.html
 http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,11851.msg130389.html#msg130389

Agrees with you on that one Sharpie about the washer being pre-folded.
Looking directly down on the washer it is impossible to use both of the pre-folded areas as the folds are a quarter of the circumference away from each other, making four sided pattern and the sprocket nut like all others has six sides so no mater how you position the washer only one of the pre-folds will line up.
I think it was designed to have just one fold up and having the washer pre-folds this way gives you a very good chance that one of the folds will line up.
I just did an opposite one for good measure.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2017, 11:50:07 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 09 February 2017, 12:09:35 am »
The Loctite 620 is quite expensive and as commented and only ever likely to use it on the 'Front Sprocket Nut'
So if anyone needs some for sprocket nut message me and i will post my bottle to you on the understanding you post it back when your done with it, that way a number of us can use it saving a purchase or two and all it will cost is perhaps 50 or 60p postage.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 09 February 2017, 10:46:11 am »
The Loctite 620 is quite expensive and as commented and only ever likely to use it on the 'Front Sprocket Nut'
So if anyone needs some for sprocket nut message me and i will post my bottle to you on the understanding you post it back when your done with it, that way a number of us can use it saving a purchase or two and all it will cost is perhaps 50 or 60p postage.
Good man.
I actually thought about the same thing, that I would buy one and pass it on to other members so long as they then pass it on to another member who needs it, starting a post and keeping it all there, sort of a community library.
I have a whole pot of red rubber grease that I will never use which I could break up and post out. 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 09 February 2017, 04:55:21 pm »
Hey Sharpie!
Same as that matey peeps, mahoosive great tin of Red Rubber grease 500gms/1.1lbs weight and £17 to buy, brilliant stuff for calipers and any place that is adjacent to rubber as it does not perish rubber like mineral grease does, plus its impervious to water.

I bought it for lubing the slider pins on the caliper brakes of my hairdressers car (MR2 Mk3), does not rot the gaiters.
I used it lubing up the lower rear suspension linkages and needle roller bearings when i did my suspension upgrade a month or two back, as its not affected by water the ideal lube in this very wet and vulnerable environment.

I have often thought about things like carb balancing gauges, quite expensive to buy and its something you only use once in a while maybe once every year or two.
That reminds me I still have not done mine bought the gauges 4 months ago and still in the box in my shed

A FOC-U Lending Library of stuff that everyone does not need to buy, but could be borrowed on the understanding its looked after and returned promptly when finished with. The cost to the borrower would be postage both ways, not sure how it could work or how one would set that up.

The problem I have found in the past with loaning stuff out is people either forget to return it or they lend it to someone else and it is now longer traceable.

But it is a thought.
The only thing I would not lend is my torque wrench after seeing a YouTube clip a few years ago of a guy knocking a clevis pin in on car handbrake linkage with his torque wrench :eek :'(

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 12 March 2017, 12:04:11 pm »
 Hi folks, Just took tommyardins advice and checked my front sprocket nut with my verniers and it's 9mm so I'm off to ebay to buy the 12mm version. Mine's the 2003 version and I expected that it would have had the thicker nut on from the factory. oh well, one lives and one learns. Thanks again for the heads up :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 12 March 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
Still worth doing but from a certain age they sorted the issue with what I believe to be a thicker output shaft (or rather the correct size one ) which was the causes of the issue in the first place - some say

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 12 March 2017, 12:29:40 pm »

Thanks Fazersharp, mines only done 9000 miles and the original sprocket still looks like new. I don't think the cover had even been off before. Do you think it would be ok to leave this nut on until I need to change the sprocket? All appears to be fine at the moment

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 12 March 2017, 12:56:14 pm »
I would just keep a eye on it & change with sprocket when required. :)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 12 March 2017, 12:57:30 pm »
cool, ta

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 12 March 2017, 05:34:53 pm »
cool, ta
Some say that the age of the bike does not matter, others say that the output shaft was done to the wrong spec - too small but then that fault only started after 98 (my theory ) but some time later torwards the last ones the shaft issue was noted and changed with the correct size and every one else has to make do with the wider nut, which will not harm to use when the set is changed and in the meantime keep a close eye on it.
If it is nice and clean in there then you can see it if you lay down with a tourch, if you cant be arse to take the cover off, maybe best to take the cover off to see properly.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 12 March 2017, 08:59:52 pm »
 Thanks again Fazersharp. Given all that information, I think for the sake of a few quid versus the damage it causes, should shit happen, I'll just buy the thicker nut and washer and get my friendly neighbourhood bike mechanic to swap them over. He'll have an air wrench and a socket big enough to fit. Does the new nut guarantee against future failure?

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 12 March 2017, 09:19:35 pm »
they are not  tight :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12 March 2017, 09:51:47 pm »
they are not  tight :eek
They started off tight at the factory but due to an undersize shaft they can work loose, have a search on here and you will find loads of stuff about it.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 12 March 2017, 11:43:10 pm »
Mines a 2003 and the nut started to loosen so I changed it for the upgraded one.
By the way Yamaha dealer is cheaper than eBay for it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 13 March 2017, 12:04:35 am »
Doh... Just bought one from Ebay. Just out of interest and to piss me off. How much cheaper? But do I really want to know? Yeah go on then, how much cheaper?

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 13 March 2017, 08:44:29 am »
Bought mine last year and it was £2.92 for the kit which was nut and washer.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 13 March 2017, 09:43:03 am »
 Bugger :'(

daviee

« Reply #70 on: 13 March 2017, 05:55:02 pm »
lol dont worry i paid ebay price aswell still cheaper than a wrecked engine

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 18 March 2017, 10:41:56 am »
I put the thicker sprocket nut on mine not long after I bought it in 2015, having read through all the woes on here. The old 9mm nut was still on foccing tight when I took it off, no sign of any issues.

Came to change my chain and sprockets yesterday and when I bent back the lockwasher the nut was loose!  I don't think it would drop off mine due to being the older model with the thicker sprocket cover, but it's annoying to find it like that after replacing the nut.  Can't see any damage to threads, so I'm really not sure what's happened - I read through a few posts on here when I fitted it and torqued down to 80nm dry, so will try 90 with threadlocker this time and keep a better eye on it this time.

Bonus picture of old vs new sprocket just to shame myself - as you can see the old one is an advanced model with special bent teeth for chain retention  ;) [size=78%].  Surprisingly, chain was still within spec when I measured it properly, and didn't seem to pull off the back sprockets excessively.[/size]
[/size]
20170317 233943
20170317 233943

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 18 March 2017, 11:18:36 am »
Kind of also backs up my theory and the reason that every time a 98 says they had the issue I always have to ask. Had it been replaced previously or is is an original factory fit one.

I think the proper way to get the correct tourque is that all settings are done with engine oil and not dry. But if you do that then you cant use locking compound, so I gues locking compound talso takes the place of engin oil to get the correct tourque   
How many miles did it take to get your teeth like that

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 18 March 2017, 11:34:01 am »
I honestly don't know if it's original - I can't find the advert from when I bought the bike now, but would assume it had been changed before I bought it.   Did the original ones have any distinguishing features? It's at 30k miles now and I should have changed it 6 months ago when I did the clutch cable as I could see it was going downhill.

My experience is from pushbikes, and before reading the threads on here I would have said that loctite was classed as a lubricant when you're doing something up (just like oil or grease), but I'm no expert.  Will be going belt and braces on it tonight when I put it back together (taking the opportunity to regrease swingarm and shock bearings/bushings), so hopefully I won't see any issues with it after.

Reading some of the earlier comments now, I don't think I'd got the lockwasher spread right accross the nut flats last time, so it may well have vibrated loose from that - it makes sense that I did something wrong as it didn't have any issues before..

Edit: not sure why the font size keeps going down to 1pt!
« Last Edit: 18 March 2017, 11:35:06 am by Adam2201 »

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 18 March 2017, 01:23:44 pm »
The mechanic that does the work on my bikes said to me about the sprocket nut issue on my 600, Yamaha may have brought out a bigger sprocket nut but not everybody knows how to fit sprockets nuts properly.
I have a 2002 600 and it has the thinner  nut still on it, I have faith in my mechanics ability to fit the nut correctly after He fitted a new chain and sprockets and I'm quite sure he wouldn't allow me to ride the bike knowing the he was the last person to refit it.
I guess it's yamahas way of saying hey guys we've addressed the issue with a bigger nut but if you can't fit it then that's your problem.