Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:29 pm

Author Topic: Where to buy Windows 7 Software  (Read 8980 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Where to buy Windows 7 Software
« on: 17 September 2015, 02:10:10 pm »
Hiya fellas,

As per title, I've had enough of the shite Windows 8 and want to buy Windows 7. Had a scout round but can't seem to find anywhere that I can walk in and walk out with a set of software in my hands. I can only find online download sites like the link below. So am I ok to do it this way or are there any other options? Also, what's the difference between Windows 7 home and professional editions? Essentially, the only use that I specifically need is the ability for the version to be able to accept a USB to serial adapter.

http://www.coastalsoftware.co.uk/microsoft-windows/windows-7/professional-oem-32bit-download-delivery

All advice as always appreciated.  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy Windows 7 Software
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2015, 02:34:43 pm »
Hiya fellas,

As per title, I've had enough of the shite Windows 8 and want to buy Windows 7. Had a scout round but can't seem to find anywhere that I can walk in and walk out with a set of software in my hands. I can only find online download sites like the link below. So am I ok to do it this way or are there any other options? Also, what's the difference between Windows 7 home and professional editions? Essentially, the only use that I specifically need is the ability for the version to be able to accept a USB to serial adapter.

http://www.coastalsoftware.co.uk/microsoft-windows/windows-7/professional-oem-32bit-download-delivery

I'm not PC expert but looked into this, supposed to be quiet a complex procedure removing 8 so that 7 will work. I went out and purchased a second hand desktop cheaper than the cost of getting licensed windows 7 software

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjACahUKEwi_z6epl_7HAhUEvxQKHS6SCII&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmag.com%2Farticle2%2F0%2C2817%2C2417359%2C00.asp&usg=AFQjCNHsXMYKPnem4p0Rtf4TRFmG1e9PAA&sig2=867R8CsDFL-9-GTtJcy-iQ
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2015, 03:40:27 pm »
Microshaft don't sell Windows 7 anymore.

You can only officially buy Windows 10 (which isn't bad) but, depending on the licence you actually buy, you can install a lower version of Windows.

Instead of downgrading to 7 from Windows 8, do the upgrade to 10. Give it a go. You may like it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2015, 04:05:22 pm »
Microshaft don't sell Windows 7 anymore.

You can only officially buy Windows 10 (which isn't bad) but, depending on the licence you actually buy, you can install a lower version of Windows.

Instead of downgrading to 7 from Windows 8, do the upgrade to 10. Give it a go. You may like it.

Does the upgrade to Win 10 remove all the soppy windows 8 screens and leave it more like XP or Win 7 ?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2015, 04:41:30 pm »
yes.

If you have a genuine copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 installed, use the Windows Upgrade think in the Control Panel to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2015, 04:43:23 pm by BBROWN1664 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2015, 05:54:10 pm »

Does the upgrade to Win 10 remove all the soppy windows 8 screens and leave it more like XP or Win 7 ?

Im still running xp.

On the xp subject microsft have been trying to force it out of peoples hands by ending support, which in any case --- support being endless downloads with each one fixing two things and breaking one.
Life in xp is now peaceful 

So they have washed their hands upon it and you cannot get support so does that now mean that you can go ahead and install versions from the back of a lorry
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2015, 06:25:09 pm »
What exactly are the benefits of Windows 10?

I'm still on 7 but more than happy with it.
I set up my mates new laptop with Windows 8 and didn't like it at all.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2015, 06:34:20 pm »
   you can download the iso of the windows 7 sp1  home premium  / professional / ultimate from this web site

http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Burn your own copy of software then all you need then is either a COA ( license key )  or a patch  :rolleyes

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2015, 06:44:05 pm »

What exactly are the benefits of Windows 10?

I'm still on 7 but more than happy with it.
I set up my mates new laptop with Windows 8 and didn't like it at all.

I had Windows 7 on my last laptop and the had Windows 8.1 (and now Windows 10) on my current setup.

Honestly, Windows 10 is not light years in front of 7, it is pretty similar, maybe slightly better (in my opinion) as I like the new start menu etc, although the new cortana thing is not much use to me.

Windows 8 was just total shite. Windows 10 is more of a halfway house between Windows 8 and Windows 7, but it works fairly well as it takes some of the good bits from both, and ditches that tile rubbish for the most part.

If you can get the free upgrade its worth a go :)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2015, 07:00:00 pm »
Be aware that because XP doesn't have an up to date SSL implementation (the part of the system that makes the padlock icon in your browser work on secure pages) it'll increasingly struggle to connect to many websites.

More and more sites are using SSL, and where they handle payments they're required by the banks to only support current secure implementations, while the older protocols supported in XP have known weakness and can't be supported.

I loved XP too and still use it selectively on a standalone, non-internet media centre PC, but over coming months your mileage for internet use will drop off fast, it just won't be able to connect to half the servers out there.

Win7 is good, agreed. Win 8 kind of sucks, haven't tried 10 yet, but good to see it's free to win 7 and 8 users.

Andy

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2015, 07:55:08 pm »
more and more sites are using SSL, and where they handle payments they're required by the banks to only support current secure implementations, while the older protocols supported in XP have known weakness and can't be supported.

I loved XP too and still use it selectively on a standalone, non-internet media centre PC, but over coming months your mileage for internet use will drop off fast, it just won't be able to connect to half the servers out there.

No issues as of yet, if I have to change then I will. I thought that the SSl stuff was to do with the browser that you use for which I can keep up to date

« Last Edit: 17 September 2015, 08:09:49 pm by fazersharp »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2015, 08:22:18 pm »
Windows 10 is not the worst operating system and  not to different from Windows 7. Definitely much better than any version of windows 8/8.1 Try the free upgrade to 10 first and if you still want to go back to Windows 7 then send me a PM, I think I have a few windows 7 pro codes from a few old scrapped PCs around.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2015, 09:50:51 pm »
On the xp subject microsft have been trying to force it out of peoples hands by ending support, which in any case --- support being endless downloads with each one fixing two things and breaking one.
Life in xp is now peaceful 

I'm still running VISTA 64, which is probably now the least used windows OS.  Windows still support it, but software companies often don't.  For example I can't upgrade my copy of LIGHTROOM 4 cos Adobe don't support VISTA.  I can't order prints online from Loxley colour cos Loxley don't support VISTA and so on.

So soon I'm gonna have to make the jump to 10. 

As for my VISTA64 it's set up to look just like windows98.

I'm dreading a move to 10.

But yup 7 users should get a free upgrade to 10.

And 10 is supposed to be the final windows issue - microsoft says it will just be upgraded from here on in - no more complete new OS issues.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2015, 09:52:00 pm »
Hiya fellas,

Frosties you do not need to upgrade from win 8 to win 10 in order to have good old win 7 start menu.

You just need this free program: http://lee-soft.com/vistart/

To get back the windows 7 look and feel.

I have windows 8 upgraded to windows 10 and now downgraded back to win 8.

Win 10 is miniscule faster and you loose the most important feature for me - OneDrive smart offline files.

Not to mention how hard is to downgrade. I am IT guy from 20 years and have to say win 10 is piece of crap. Avoid.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2015, 09:57:57 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2015, 09:55:05 pm »
Millennium edition is probably the least used. So underused in fact that Microsoft removed it from the catalogue so even us technet  subscribers couldn't download it even though I could still get Windows 3.1 and DOS.

That was only 3 months ago too.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2015, 09:57:47 pm »
Guys you do not need to upgrade from win 8 to win 10 in order to have good old win 7 start menu.

You need this free program: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I have windows 8 upgraded to windows 10 and now downgraded back to win 8.

Win 10 is miniscule faster and you loose the most important feature for me - OneDrive smart offline files.

Not to mention how hard is to downgrade. I am IT guy from 20 years and have to say win 10 is piece of crap. Avoid.

Ahhh crap  :lol :lol   Just when I'd decided to go for the upgrade to Win 10. Cheers Val  :rollin

So where does all this leave me with the option below of buying Win 10

I have 1 laptop on XP (too old for work software - BMS, Trend, Staefa etc) and the other new laptop on Win 10 which the work software hasn't caught up with yet. All I need is Win 7  :'(

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
If mobility is not of great importance swap your laptop for a desktop, monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I just sorted my brother out with this setup (refurbed desktop with 7 installed) for less than £90, he uses his tv as monitor.

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2015, 10:38:18 pm »
Anybody here heard of Virtual Machine.

You can use Windows version or Vmware who have a free desktop version

I run XP pro and Windows 7 as VMs in the windows 10 pro, to test old software for people who have had to buy new machines which are not down gradable.

Solves the backward compatibility issues of old software. You can even run old dos based programs this way.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2015, 12:07:58 am »
Just downloaded Windows 10, from Windows 7.

First impressions are not brilliant to be honest, i didn't really know what was gonna happen and thought i'd have to reinstall loads of programmes and shortcuts but they were all left untouched, the main screen stayed the same.
I use Windows Live email and that was also totally left untouched as well which was a complete relief, i won't even bother setting up the Windows 10 email accounts, there's no need for me.

I was a button away from converting back to Windows 7 a minute ago though, because there seems to be a lot of crap on the new system that i simply won't use or need, but i've decided not to be too hasty so i'll play with it for a while and see what it's all about.
You get a month after installing to convert back if necessary. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2015, 07:32:38 am »
Been having a play again this morning, removed or moved about a few things, but i'm warming to Windows 10 now.
Rather than totally changing everything they've just added a few things instead, without treading on any toes.
Once you customize things to suit you it's there's no inconvenience at all and has not been intrusive, which is a nice result.
It's not a faster system at all that i can see, but it certainly gets a thumbs up from me for now. :thumbup

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2015, 08:24:51 am »
With Windows 8 there is a feature that is not installed by default called Hyper-V. This is a virtual machine manager. Run this and you can install as many "PC's within your PC" as you have disk space for.
VMware do a product called VMPlayer which is free and works on earlier Windows versions to do the same thing.

With either of these, you can have the OS you don't particularly like but need just running on another virtual PC and keep the one you want for other things. No new laptop needed (just disk space and RAM)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2015, 11:05:52 am »
I do a lot of work with photos and my main reason for not upgrading to 7 was because of a problem with sorting images.
If I have 50 photos and want to rearrange the order by drag and dropping - win 7 wont let me. Say I want to move photo 5 to position one in win 7 I have to first rename photo 5 to photo 1 --- but wait I cant because there is already a photo 1, so I have to first rename photo 1 to photo 1a.
In xp i just drag and drop move around to the order I want - select all - rename the 1st number to 1 and the whole lot will be renamed sequentially       

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2015, 03:47:28 pm »
With Windows 8 there is a feature that is not installed by default called Hyper-V. This is a virtual machine manager. Run this and you can install as many "PC's within your PC" as you have disk space for.
VMware do a product called VMPlayer which is free and works on earlier Windows versions to do the same thing.

With either of these, you can have the OS you don't particularly like but need just running on another virtual PC and keep the one you want for other things. No new laptop needed (just disk space and RAM)

Errrrr, yeah  :lol   Does this mean i can run Win 7 on a Win 8 machine then ? Totally over my head  :rollin

Val - does this link you posted http://lee-soft.com/vistart/  mean that my Win 8 will look like Win 7...as in looking like XP but a bit prettier.

Darrsi seems happy with Win 10 - so is it just the appearance change that Win 10 offers?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2015, 03:56:08 pm »
Yes, you can run Win7 on a Win8 machine. You will still need to get a copy of the Win7 software and a key for it to work though.

Windows 10 is a lot more like Win7 than Win8.