Date: 23-05-24  Time: 23:33 pm

Author Topic: Oil recommendation?  (Read 24231 times)

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Oil recommendation?
« on: 02 July 2014, 09:42:17 am »

What oil do you recommend for a 35k+ miles machine ?
Last time, they put in this oil:  CASTROL Power 1GPS 4T 15W-50
It's part synthetic. I thought these machines need fully synthetic oil ?
Did they screw me over ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oil recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2014, 09:47:04 am »

What oil do you recommend for a 35k+ miles machine ?
Last time, they put in this oil:  CASTROL Power 1GPS 4T 15W-50
It's part synthetic. I thought these machines need fully synthetic oil ?
Did they screw me over ?

Should be 10w/40 semi synthetic, motorcycle oil.

This seems to be popular at a reasonable price on here:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-5000-4T-Semi-Synthetic-4-Stroke-Motorcycle-Bike-Engine-Oil-10w-40-/141250866261?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20e3352c55#ht_1470wt_1190
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2015, 12:40:02 pm »
These oils are available locally, which one should I choose ?
I know that differences are small and any of these will work, but still I wanted to check with you:

Bear in mind that we have mild/warm temperatures here, during summer they often hit 40 degrees Celsius in shade.
Some advise I go with 15-50, since it's more suitable for warmer climates, some say 10-40 will do just fine.
Also, replacement oil filter is £7 and original Yamaha is £15, should I spend more and go for Yamaha's ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
STILL 10w/40 semi-synthetic

Not sure why you are still contemplating it?

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2015, 02:35:18 pm »
Just wanted to make sure, thanks :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2015, 02:43:14 pm »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2015, 02:45:18 pm »
8 months after you first asked?  :lol

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2015, 02:55:57 pm »
Yeah, we take it slowly here :D
Nice graph  :thumbup

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2015, 07:05:03 pm »
I'm a bit embarrassed to say that today I changed my Fazer's oil for the first time.
Until now, only the mechanics did that for me, but since there's not much you can screw up, I decided to take further responsibility of changing oil.

It all went OK, except that removing of oil filter was a pain in the arse, because there wasn't much space to move the wrench.

About 2.7L went inside when settled.

And for good people on this forum a little bonus from me...
Yesterday when I went to buy the oil filter, they just received a brand new 2015 R1.
They allowed me to sit on it, fire it up and rev it.
It's definitely a technological and mechanical gem of a motorcycle, but I'm not really a fan of the sound (crossplane engine).
Also, it's not as comfortable as Fazer.
The riding position is a spine killer, especially for taller people, but I guess that's the compromise you agree with when purchasing bikes like this:

https://youtu.be/y89oOl3zUdk

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2015, 06:52:40 am »
Well done, it's a piece of piss once you've first done it yourself, and kind of satisfying in the process too.

I was always a fan of using the K&N oil filter with the handy nut on the end for "easy" removal, but last time i tried to remove one i found that the coating on the nut made it an unusual ill fitting socket size and also seemed to be a very soft material, so it was actually quite useless.
So i sat there swearing at it a lot then dug out my trusty chain wrench which sorted it straight away.

Make a note of your oil change date for future reference, and also you'll find it much cheaper to buy oil in 4 litre containers rather than 4 x 1 litre.
You only need to change the oil filter every 2 oil changes, and there's really no need to wrench it up too tightly, just smear oil on the rubber gasket and nip it up as much as you can by hand and that will be enough, if it ever does leak then simply nip it up some more but it shouldn't do.  :thumbup

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2015, 08:27:39 am »
Personally, I've never understood why the filter change is every other oil change, as there's roughly 200ml of old oil left in the filter. As Hi-Flo filters are fairly cheap I usually change mine along with the oil.
Increased expense, yes, but surely it makes sense to get rid of as much oil as possible? Roughly 700ml of old oil left inside even with an oil & filter drain.
I suppose you could even take off the oil filter, drain most of the old oil out of it & reattach.... best of both worlds?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2015, 08:44:58 am »
Personally, I've never understood why the filter change is every other oil change, as there's roughly 200ml of old oil left in the filter. As Hi-Flo filters are fairly cheap I usually change mine along with the oil.
Increased expense, yes, but surely it makes sense to get rid of as much oil as possible? Roughly 700ml of old oil left inside even with an oil & filter drain.
I suppose you could even take off the oil filter, drain most of the old oil out of it & reattach.... best of both worlds?

Never caused any issues ever before.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2015, 09:23:21 am »
Well done, it's a piece of piss once you've first done it yourself, and kind of satisfying in the process too.

I was always a fan of using the K&N oil filter with the handy nut on the end for "easy" removal, but last time i tried to remove one i found that the coating on the nut made it an unusual ill fitting socket size and also seemed to be a very soft material, so it was actually quite useless.
So i sat there swearing at it a lot then dug out my trusty chain wrench which sorted it straight away.

Make a note of your oil change date for future reference, and also you'll find it much cheaper to buy oil in 4 litre containers rather than 4 x 1 litre.
You only need to change the oil filter every 2 oil changes, and there's really no need to wrench it up too tightly, just smear oil on the rubber gasket and nip it up as much as you can by hand and that will be enough, if it ever does leak then simply nip it up some more but it shouldn't do.  :thumbup

Thanks.
Yeah, they didn't have 4L package, so I had to buy 4x1.

How often do you recommend to change oil?
Every 10.000km ? (~6000 miles)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2015, 10:33:38 am »
I've always done it around 4-5000 miles, the recommendation is 6000 miles.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2015, 12:32:55 pm »
I do mine every other year = 2-3k miles depending on the weather ! filter each time to.
I think my oil must be good enough to sell on
Castrol act evo for me --- nice red colour, like giving the bike a blood transfusion 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2015, 01:21:08 pm »
I do mine every other year = 2-3k miles depending on the weather ! filter each time to.
I think my oil must be good enough to sell on
Castrol act evo for me --- nice red colour, like giving the bike a blood transfusion

Money to burn!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
The thing is I dont do football, golf ------ anything, my bike is all I have in that respect, I dont spend any money on the bike other than fuel, do all the work myself, so £15 a year isnt much, I would say that £130 on a fuel cap is money to burn. swapping an exhaust for a different sound is money to burn, swapping leavers for stubby ones is money to burn having more than one bike is money to burn, smoking is money to burn. So there you go, blah blah blah.
Who wants to buy my old oil - only done 3000 miles. From a smoke free pet free home will send well packed in a jiffy bag.   
« Last Edit: 27 March 2015, 02:19:49 pm by fazersharp »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2015, 04:17:24 pm »
The thing is I dont do football, golf ------ anything, my bike is all I have in that respect, I dont spend any money on the bike other than fuel, do all the work myself, so £15 a year isnt much, I would say that £130 on a fuel cap is money to burn. swapping an exhaust for a different sound is money to burn, swapping leavers for stubby ones is money to burn having more than one bike is money to burn, smoking is money to burn. So there you go, blah blah blah.
Who wants to buy my old oil - only done 3000 miles. From a smoke free pet free home will send well packed in a jiffy bag.

Changing too often is more bad than good. But if that's your annual mileage, than OK.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2015, 04:23:05 pm »

Changing too often is more bad than good. But if that's your annual mileage, than OK.
How so ---bad and why if low mileage good

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2015, 04:43:08 pm »
Oil takes some time for additives to work. Brand new oil is not perfect. So changing more often than reasonable is not better. At best it is a waste of money and oil.

I use fully synthetic oil in all my motorcycles and change at factory intervals. Around 8 k kilometers, or once a year on Fazer.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2015, 05:09:05 pm »
So at 3000 miles - not klm and every two years im not far off am I

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2015, 06:27:22 pm »
Yup. My bad - didn't get much sleep today. Somehow I understood you change in 2-3k mile interval. So I guessed if that's annual mileage than OK, but no need to change so often if riding 4-5 k miles per year.  Your policy is quite reasonable.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2015, 10:57:29 am »
Just to clear up, my average is 1000 to 1500 miles per year and I have been changing oil and filter every two years. 

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 March 2015, 11:04:31 am »
Time interval isn't important, mileage is?

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 March 2015, 11:29:51 am »
Absolutely fantastic post :-D :-D :-D
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)