Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:42 pm

Author Topic: Filtering on Motorway  (Read 5879 times)

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
Filtering on Motorway
« on: 26 June 2014, 09:30:20 pm »
I was returning home on the M25 which was almost at a standstill (as per usual on a Sunday evening !!) and I always ride with my beam on when filtering to try and make car drivers aware.......

then another biker came up behind me saw him instantly as he had his hazard flashers on, and I thought wow thats a great idea......he was spotted straight away some distance behind me.

Thought it was much safer so I stuck mine on too, and I'm sure more car drivers moved out of the way, as they could SEE me !!!

Now I feel that doing that isn't strictly legal as hazards are really only for emergency hard shoulder usage.

Your thoughts please.................................................

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering on Motorway
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2014, 09:49:20 pm »
If they see you, then why not?
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2014, 10:01:23 pm »
I see him the other day too. Or another biker doing same and yeah great idea

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2014, 10:42:48 pm »
I use hazard lights occasionally, normally if there's no other bikes in my vicinity.
When I gain on a bike filtering slower than me I switch them off as I don't want to pressure them into changing their riding!

You should notice if you're behind a bike they cause a bow wave of cars moving slightly out the way- it's normally too late for the lead bike to have any benefit but for anyone behind it creates a larger filter space.

Using main beam to make your presence known is the worst thing, it's counter productive as the only thing other road users see in their mirror is a glaring light which is impossible to determine the distance or speed of the oncoming Bike- see for yourself the next time you see a big BMW GS in your mirror with their extra lights on!
« Last Edit: 26 June 2014, 10:47:43 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2014, 10:57:26 pm »
The best filtering, or rather the fastest filtering I've ever done is following police bikes, they just give it a blast of music and lights as and when required to get dozy or reluctant car drivers oot o the way.

Traffic jams just don't exist when you got music and lights.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2014, 12:27:32 am »
I usualy have my right hand indicator on.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2014, 12:29:01 am »
Course that could be cos im a bit senile and forget to turn the bugger off.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2014, 07:04:16 am »
As I understand it, they do this in some parts of Europe, but it is technically illegal here in the UK, does seem like a good idea though, especially as the EU have brought in running lights for cars, we now need even more help to be seen.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2014, 07:09:01 am »
As I understand it, they do this in some parts of Europe, but it is technically illegal here in the UK, does seem like a good idea though, especially as the EU have brought in running lights for cars, we now need even more help to be seen.

Some countries went back - e.g. in Austria you no longer need day lights.

In some EU countries filtering is technically illegal and if someone knocks you off - it's your fault.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2014, 08:29:48 am »
In some EU countries filtering is technically illegal and if someone knocks you off - it's your fault.

Ive only recently discovered France is on this list. Doesn't affect me though as a traffic jam in france to me is two cars in front of you at a stop sign.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2014, 10:18:48 am »
I use hazard lights occasionally, normally if there's no other bikes in my vicinity.
When I gain on a bike filtering slower than me I switch them off as I don't want to pressure them into changing their riding!

You should notice if you're behind a bike they cause a bow wave of cars moving slightly out the way- it's normally too late for the lead bike to have any benefit but for anyone behind it creates a larger filter space.

Agree with Stiggy as above especially the bit about the lead bike. I have to admit that if this situation arises & another bike is behind me then I tend to let the other bike go first to "wake up" the drivers before I follow some 3 car lengths behind......feel a bit guilty with the sacrificial lamb thing buuuuuut it's my safety that comes first.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2014, 10:40:57 am »
Hazard lights should only be shown on a stationary vehicle ( is what I always thought the law said ) so if they see your hazards in their mirror they should think that you are NOT moving. And if everyone thinks its a good idea to have them on when moving then genuine non moving hazards are likely to get ploughed into as people would be thinking they are moving.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2014, 11:29:17 am »
Hazard lights should only be shown on a stationary vehicle ( is what I always thought the law said ) so if they see your hazards in their mirror they should think that you are NOT moving. And if everyone thinks its a good idea to have them on when moving then genuine non moving hazards are likely to get ploughed into as people would be thinking they are moving.

I agree with you re the law....however, the bottom line is it does make you more visible when filtering, it works and has done for years, and if that improves my survival rate then will carry on using them.

As a note, if you're driving your car and you see the hazards of a car 2 cars ahead of you come on when you're cracking on a bit then you know to back off and get ready to brake. We also use hazards to say thanks when someone lets us out when in the car.

My safety comes first and foremost!
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #13 on: 27 June 2014, 11:31:09 am »

Agree with PunkStig on high beam lights - not good IMO. 

On hazard lights: in my country they are obligatory when standing in your lane, when moving backwards in your lane and when there is dense fog.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2014, 11:38:49 am »
got to say I've used my bike all this week between Portsmouth / Basingstoke via A3 & the traffic has been very kind @ moving aside for me making filtering easier and fun!
I'm off back down Cornwall later & was thinking of using main beam when I hit the M5 stretch but after reading this I'll give it a miss!

thanks for the advice again Foccers  :lol 
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2014, 11:50:18 am »
Stationery vehicle for hazard lights. So how come Renault got away with making my hazards come on automatically when I slam the anchors on (really got to slam them on) in my Scenic? I don't buy that you should only use them stationary, and yes, I think it's a good idea to use when filtering past stationary traffic. Not so good for filtering past anything going faster than a crawl though (I class undertaking slow outside lane hogs on a motorway as filtering too, I wouldn't use hazards here).

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2014, 12:03:46 pm »
Stationery vehicle for hazard lights. So how come Renault got away with making my hazards come on automatically when I slam the anchors on (really got to slam them on) in my Scenic? I don't buy that you should only use them stationary, and yes, I think it's a good idea to use when filtering past stationary traffic. Not so good for filtering past anything going faster than a crawl though (I class undertaking slow outside lane hogs on a motorway as filtering too, I wouldn't use hazards here).

They come on when slaming the brakes and only when really slaming? You need explanation on that?

The law in my country says only when stationary, moving backwards and when there is dense fog. Oh, and I thing, when towing a vehicle, but not 100% sure. 
« Last Edit: 27 June 2014, 12:05:41 pm by Slaninar »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2014, 12:05:29 pm »
I don't buy that you should only use them stationary,

You dont have to take my word for it

116 Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
Law RVLR reg 27

From here  https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116
« Last Edit: 27 June 2014, 12:06:30 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 June 2014, 12:36:32 pm »
Exactly, it's legit to use them on the motorway or dual carridgeway (when moving) to warn of slowing traffic ahead etc. And a bloody good idea to do so, it's one of those very sketchy situations I look out for, then filter in to the safety of the bunched traffic soon as I can.

Perhaps not so much of an issue at filtering speeds on motorway, but watch out for people seeing only the left/right hazard and reading it as a turn signal.

Andy

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 27 June 2014, 12:38:03 pm »
I don't use hazards when filtering, seen a few use them. Bigger issue is getting people to actually look in their mirrors, le alone see your lights...

Come across all kinds of tricks here in London: day light running lights, BMW fog lamps, mock police 'Polite' getup, head to toe hi-viz, insanely loud cans, riding around whilst bouncing off rev limiter and so on.

Recently I found out a lot of new vehicles have the indicator permanently on as a solid orange light, then the start flashing when you do indicate. Apparently, this is a common thing that's come from US and it's supposed to be easier fro someone to judge distance and speed bike based on how the solid orange indicators move closer together as you approach. Not sure about this one myself, as in a quick glance it can appear they're indicating and about to change lanes/turn etc.

Personally, I opt for the low gear/high revs stance. In a low gear, you make a racket so people hopefully hear you before they see you, plus you've got more engine braking, from the moment you're off the throttle and grabbing brakes. Then supplement this with the odd pip of the horn if I suspect someone is about to move over and hasn't seen me. Which reminds me, I still need to install that Stebel Nautilus 140dB horn to the bike....

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: 27 June 2014, 02:53:35 pm »
Renoooo and others have a feature that basically says to itself, you are doing an emergency stop so there must be a hazard so I must warn others.

I, like others, use my hazards in the cage on the motorway if traffic slows down suddenly. Gives the muppets behind a bit of a heads up that something other than a normal slowing down is happening. Never used them on the bike when moving though.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 June 2014, 03:33:31 pm »
Do not ride with your headlights on Main beam,,it pisses me off with bikes coming the other way and stabbing bright lights in your eyes,daytime that is,,when in the car,,flick the "V"s at them,b--stards :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 June 2014, 06:02:33 pm »
got to say I've used my bike all this week between Portsmouth / Basingstoke via A3 & the traffic has been very kind @ moving aside for me making filtering easier and fun!
I'm off back down Cornwall later & was thinking of using main beam when I hit the M5 stretch but after reading this I'll give it a miss!

thanks for the advice again Foccers  :lol

good luck with that trip to kernow,the A303 is gridlocked from stonehenge to podimore roundabout (Glastonbury late comers) and the M5 is gridlocked from the M4 junction of the M5  to Taunton. and its pissing down with hailstones and having a massive series of thunderstorms coming through my part of somerset. hope you have a good ride home and you missed the worse of the weather/traffic

TonyW

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 June 2014, 06:13:13 pm »
I can see how using hazards could work. The human eye see's the yellow part of the spectrum fastest as it is an irritant colour (Google it).
Maybe New "Filtering" lights further into the yellow spectrum could be used. Some sort of Larson scanner for cross field movement made from bright yellow L.E.D's across the front of the bike would help. (Like Knightrider's Kitt)
 As a final thought, My Land Rover is bright yellow and no one has ever pulled out in front of me. Coincidence?

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 June 2014, 06:33:49 pm »
I think that technically when filtering your overtaking so one indicator is legal and makes it easier to see you as we tend to notice movement like a flashing light.