Date: 21-06-24  Time: 21:08 pm

Author Topic: Filtering on Motorway  (Read 5913 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering on Motorway
« Reply #25 on: 27 June 2014, 07:09:35 pm »
When people are saying main beam are they meaning full beam as in a blue light on your clocks.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

AllyBally

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 June 2014, 07:47:09 pm »
Personally I wouldn't use hazards when filtering, I use lower gear and higher revs, with use of passing light and horn when needed.
Years ago I fitted a kit bought from internet to add hazards to an old bike I had,which also had option to make the indicators flap left/right/left/right rather than just all four flashing on/off, which I found quite useful.
The voices told me to do it !!

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #27 on: 27 June 2014, 08:00:08 pm »
I can see how using hazards could work. The human eye see's the yellow part of the spectrum fastest as it is an irritant colour (Google it).
Maybe New "Filtering" lights further into the yellow spectrum could be used. Some sort of Larson scanner for cross field movement made from bright yellow L.E.D's across the front of the bike would help. (Like Knightrider's Kitt)
 As a final thought, My Land Rover is bright yellow and no one has ever pulled out in front of me. Coincidence?

Unfortunately the regs are pretty tight in this regard. Steady white/yellow light to front, steady red to rear only. Few exceptions for emergency vehicles and stuff like taxies, buses, road maintenance trucks, yellow beacons on tractors, JCB's, wide loads etc, but ultimately not much deviation allowed.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 June 2014, 08:35:37 pm »
I just remembered that my "98" does not have hazards anyway

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 June 2014, 09:09:42 pm »
I just remembered that my "98" does not have hazards anyway

Phew!! Thought I was going mad and actually went and had a look AGAIN!  :lol

Low gear, high gear actually materialised recently. Was filtering up to red traffic lights, looking slightly left for pedestrians. Got alongside a van and stopped when I saw a lady. She smiled, waved me on, and said, "I heard you coming!"

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 June 2014, 09:50:54 pm »
Yep I sometimes pull the clutch in and blip the throttle in situations like that, seems les "touchy" than blasting the horn
You see if i do that no one minds but if I blast my horn then its "alright mate !! alright "
« Last Edit: 27 June 2014, 09:52:46 pm by fazersharp »

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 June 2014, 11:03:46 pm »
every now and then I tuck in behind a Harley rider filtering from the M18 to the M1 northbound going into Sheffield and as much as those out there may comment on horse power to noise etc, they're the best ones to get through the filtering debate. I just sit behind him, listen to the roar, he never takes the piss with the throttle, - the cars just 'part', brilliant to watch. I really need to get my exhaust swapped!
Porquoi moi?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 June 2014, 12:10:26 pm »
The big problem with trying to use the exhaust sound is that its not pointing at the driver you want to move, So no problem for me now as I have been out to my bike with me spanners----sorted.

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 June 2014, 02:56:02 pm »
The big problem with trying to use the exhaust sound is that its not pointing at the driver you want to move, So no problem for me now as I have been out to my bike with me spanners----sorted.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 June 2014, 03:11:06 pm »

PMSL .... Brilliant
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 June 2014, 04:20:16 pm »

PMSL .... Brilliant

+1....Quality job fella  :lol :lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 June 2014, 10:43:27 pm »
I use yellow lens covers. These are great especially in winter.  Its like Moses parting the Red Sea.  I take them off when playing though as they make you very identifiable.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 June 2014, 10:32:05 am »
Using hazards when filtering is common on the continent and I often see it.  Seems like a good idea to me.   

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #38 on: 30 June 2014, 11:33:24 am »
Using hazards when filtering is common on the continent and I often see it.  Seems like a good idea to me.   

Yes, but which oil additive you put in the engine when filtering?      :rollin
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #39 on: 30 June 2014, 01:42:45 pm »
got to say I've used my bike all this week between Portsmouth / Basingstoke via A3 & the traffic has been very kind @ moving aside for me making filtering easier and fun!
I'm off back down Cornwall later & was thinking of using main beam when I hit the M5 stretch but after reading this I'll give it a miss!

thanks for the advice again Foccers  :lol

good luck with that trip to kernow,the A303 is gridlocked from stonehenge to podimore roundabout (Glastonbury late comers) and the M5 is gridlocked from the M4 junction of the M5  to Taunton. and its pissing down with hailstones and having a massive series of thunderstorms coming through my part of somerset. hope you have a good ride home and you missed the worse of the weather/traffic

yeah thanks was good ride, yeah Solitce park to A360 wa grid locked but filtered well through that lot ( with a Pan European bout 5 car lengths behind me) managed to ride as far as Oakhampton before stopping to waterproofs & fill up. was a bit scary in the hailstones for bout 20 minutes then it stopped so all in all good 4 1/4 hrs ride!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 June 2014, 04:57:26 pm »
Filtering IS legal, EU law.  :rolleyes

I always use my hazards just to be noticed more.

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 June 2014, 09:31:31 pm »
It was me that started all this !!! having read comments, and have decided its illegal to use the hazards when filtering and also others have bunked my idea of using high beam when filtering , I would guess then the best idea is to leave a indicator on ......... but wait that means your changing lane and I wouldn't be oh hum.............oh hum ..... oh hum !!!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 June 2014, 10:16:53 pm »
I think the thing is that it is leagal but the things we try to do to make it safer are not a good idea (execpt the exhaust one ! ) or they are not allowed. So the answer is be vidulant ??? ( dam that tyskie larger ) and go slow and expect someone to swap lanes at the last second or chuck fag ends out of the window