Date: 17-06-24  Time: 09:24 am

Author Topic: Wheel painting advice please  (Read 2374 times)

atp600

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Wheel painting advice please
« on: 27 May 2014, 10:49:32 pm »
Hi guys wondering if anyone out there can offer me any advice on the following. I've got a few paint chips on both my wheels so am thinking of getting them powder coated. I've found a number of places who do the powder coating but you have to take the wheels off yourself. I'm not confident taking my own wheels off in fact I'm sure I'd fuck it up somehow. So I want to know of any powder coaters (ideally in the north east) where you can ride in get your wheels removed,  painted and ride out.
Also I was wondering can you put the same tyres back on the rims after painting or does removing them damage the beading?
Thanks in advance for any help.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel painting advice please
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 11:00:51 pm »
You'll get plenty of people warning you about powder coating - the heat treatment can destroy alloy wheels.

Removing the wheels ain't too hard, and I'd have thought you could reuse your tyres without too much bother. If you have alternative transport, why not remove the wheels, sand them down, and spray them?
The Deef's apprentice

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 11:12:54 pm »
It's unlikely you will find a ride in ride out service TBH mate. You likely will have to remove them yourself (it's not hard).

I'm sure a local foccer would likely help keep you on track for removing them. And yes, you should be fine to 're-use the tyres after they have been off, so no worries there either :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2014, 06:07:32 am »
Removing the wheels and tyres is the (relatively) easy part.  You'd also have to remove and replace the wheel bearings because these can't handle the heat-curing process of powder coating. 

Being totally honest, if removing wheels worries you then changing bearings is going to give you a heart attack. :)

atp600

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2014, 10:17:20 pm »
Cheers guy's. Think I'm going to have a try at taking the wheels off and just paint them myself. Now what colour should I go for.......

witchfinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2014, 11:40:03 am »
Where abouts in the nth east are you ?Im down in Bridlington and have been building specials and restoring bikes for many moons now and am very familliar with powder coating and use a very godd coater local to me ,if we arent too far apart I would be happy to help you out with the whole process from start to finish  :)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2014, 03:20:30 pm »
Where abouts in the nth east are you ?Im down in Bridlington and have been building specials and restoring bikes for many moons now and am very familliar with powder coating and use a very godd coater local to me ,if we arent too far apart I would be happy to help you out with the whole process from start to finish  :)

Top Foccer

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2014, 06:23:42 pm »

Now thats interesting to know!!  :lol especially with you been only 10 miles away!! Who's good for powder coating around here dude?  :smokin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

witchfinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2014, 06:39:15 pm »
Eyup Charlie ,CPC on carnaby ind est Ive been using em years and will be this winter again ,Ill be having my wheels done ,if I can be of any help just give me a shout mate  :)

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2014, 09:26:51 pm »
Eyup Charlie ,CPC on carnaby ind est Ive been using em years and will be this winter again ,Ill be having my wheels done ,if I can be of any help just give me a shout mate  :)

Sweet!! Cheers for the offer!! I will be calling on your services!! Just booked my TT ferry ticket for next years race week so will need to get the Beast smart for her trip to the holy island!!  :smokin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

witchfinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2014, 10:19:32 pm »
ya lucky beggar ;)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1