Date: 17-05-24  Time: 22:29 pm

Author Topic: Acceleration stutter after service  (Read 18098 times)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Acceleration stutter after service
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2013, 11:33:57 pm »
Unbalanced carbs makes it jittery at lower speeds, it's worth doing anyway if it hasn't been done for a while, but i doubt it'll be the issue with plenty of throttle?

Yep, carbs need doing but I am stumped at this one darrsi. Thing is it accelerates and rides better but its just this 10k and hard throttle stutter. It does not install confidence for overtaking  :(

Daz

I had a similar thing when i bought my bike but had a full carb strip down and clean done, and Dyno'd, and it sorted it out.
If you wanna try a quick and easy possible solution, then i would also suggest to you to try the "STP Complete Fuel System Treatment".
Use a half bottle each time over 2 full tanks of fuel and let it do its thing, i personally felt a big difference after a couple of days riding.
It costs about £15 a pop at Halfords.
It's another one of those things that will do more good than harm so i'd certainly give it a go and see if it helps?

I am going to try this but after I have tested the coils with a meter tomorrow as logic and symptoms are leading to a power leak somewhere in the ignition.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 September 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
The multimeter was out and this is how it went.

Both primary coils showed exactly the same reading 2.4
Both secondary coils were different one been 15.90 and other 15.66

day of the multimetre 12 Sep 13
day of the multimetre 12 Sep 13

So would the secondary coil cause the stutter? No idea  :'(

So my next step is to allow this stutter/fault develop as my knowledge of electricals consist of sticking my fingers into the wall sockets for a  :eek experience. I will try and find a source to fault find problems specific to FZS600.

Also had the breaks off to make sure they are not steadfast on operation and all is well there. SO I decided to set the load on my front and rear suspension as I is sick and tired of doing zebedee impressions in pot hole central. This one thing has transformed the bike yet again and is a more positive feel of all round comfort.

Not pissed off just getting pissed on the pop

Daz

PS if anyone knows about coils and whether they are buggard let me know as I have no clue what so ever

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 September 2013, 01:11:31 am »
So tired having to leave notes hear Reds stuttering fzs 600 page 5 to continue reading http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,2066.100.html

Its war and peace all over again  :(

Daz

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 September 2013, 08:40:56 pm »
So after testing the coil out put I decided to take it out for a run in the Peak. The stutter has now progressed to wider band of any where between 8 - 10k rpm in second gear and above.

My fuel consumption has dropped to 42mpg from 53mpg as an average. So fuel air mix?

With reading reds posts/thread there is a lot to take on and I do not have a garage, tools or space to strip the bike down. Nor do I have the equipment to do the compression tests. Therefore, I need to eliminate those jobs i can do so I can be precise in what I need my friendly mechanic to undertake to keep costs down.

Next I will be going for darrsi suggestion

Daz  :\ 

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2013, 08:51:34 pm »
Before you did the service Daz, how long was it previously that you had run the bike & it was ok???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2013, 09:03:10 pm »
Just re-read this thread - did you actually try putting the old plugs back in, as it reads as if you found the plug cap problem, replaced those, but didn't actually change the plugs again? Have seen several instances of new plugs being duff. And did you check/trim HT leads?

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 September 2013, 09:08:07 pm »
Before you did the service Daz, how long was it previously that you had run the bike & it was ok???

Bought the bike private seller in March from one 88 year old previous owner from new. Last 3 service interval as in book are 2007 at 12305m, 2009 at 16063m and 2012 at 19732m. I assume the services were done correctly.

I bought it with just under 20k on the clock which suggests its been stood more than rode. I have put 4K on the clock since getting it. Minimum outing for me is 80miles a day that is clocked up over weekends.

It fires up every time, apart from service only 2 other major incidents have happened. Bike fell on top of me as the side stand gave way due to me and after service fella helping forgot to turn the petrol tap back on and I came to a stand still.

Stuttering happens with standard and new can it has backfire twice with both cans.

Daz

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 September 2013, 09:21:23 pm »
ye but i mean if the stutter happened after the service then either something you touched or changed did it.....or the service is coincedence....if you rode the bike say 2 days prior to the service & it was all tickety boo then for example it would negate the problem being anything to do with the fuel or the carbs, or lessen the likelyhood anyhow.
but if it was stood for a couple of weeks prior then maybe the service was just coincidence & the real culprit sprung whilst being layed up...
Also the fall is a major event...but was it all fine with no stutter after the fall????....what made you service it, was it after the fall that it was dodgy???

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 September 2013, 09:22:55 pm »
Just re-read this thread - did you actually try putting the old plugs back in, as it reads as if you found the plug cap problem, replaced those, but didn't actually change the plugs again? Have seen several instances of new plugs being duff. And did you check/trim HT leads?

Found sat under the Idel speed adjuster screw
Found sat under the Idel speed adjuster screw

Yes on all accounts but I am thinking of putting all old plugs and air filter back in. Then testing I did find a piece of rubber sat on the engine that I have been trying to find out where it came from after the service.

Daz

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 September 2013, 09:30:00 pm »
Noggy it was fine after the fall no problems what so ever. It just happened I planned the service before the fall and was awaiting parts and a can became available. Bike was sluggish in comparison to its performance now although everyone who has rode it prior to service said it was a nice ride. Never felt it stuttering but I have only started been snap happy with the throttle.

It has to be something I have or have not done

Daz

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 September 2013, 09:39:18 pm »
I think it must be Daz
re trace your steps & do the service again basically, re fit the old air filter if you still have it & double check the fuel pipe is all good under the tank.I'm a total spoon at mechanics & i did my service & put a k&n in, the bike was totally fine afterwards so i cant say it's something you've done as such but something you've replaced definately.
i cant see how it would make a difference but how much oil did you put in?, worth double checking you havent overfilled.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 September 2013, 09:42:54 pm »
I think it must be Daz
re trace your steps & do the service again basically, re fit the old air filter if you still have it & double check the fuel pipe is all good under the tank.I'm a total spoon at mechanics & i did my service & put a k&n in, the bike was totally fine afterwards so i cant say it's something you've done as such but something you've replaced definately.
i cant see how it would make a difference but how much oil did you put in?, worth double checking you havent overfilled.

Good call, silly question time but I am questioning everything i have done.

Air filter hole up or down in the box/

Daz

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 September 2013, 09:51:43 pm »
I think it must be Daz

Daz

Up.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 September 2013, 09:52:15 pm »
I think it must be Daz

Daz
Oh foc, now that is a question - i think it was Hole Down with the plastic cover showing.but im not sure :rolleyes
but yeah these are the type of things to look at, or is there a bit of packaging still on the filter, or a leaf or bit of rag in the air intake.
with my basic knowledge i defo think it's something to do with this air filter.

edit - shows how much i know, just as well uncle Darrsi's about! :)
« Last Edit: 14 September 2013, 09:53:19 pm by noggythenog »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 September 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
Just gonna indulge in a little thinking aloud here...

Ok, so stutters at 10k rpm in 3rd (for definite, maybe at those revs in other gears but not so noticeable), and also when opening throttle hard at low revs in third. So, electrics are under load in both instances. I can't say anything regarding your multimeter measurements as I don't know what they should be, but, they won't show what is happening when under load. I can't help but thinking that stutters at high revs points to electrical breakdown. Older bikes do tend to have such breakdowns more than newer bikes - just materials degrading over time - mileage not necessarily the most important factor.
Still, easiest and cheapest things first, and if that means air/fuel systems, so be it.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 September 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
Not had time to look at the bike today. But hopefully Tuesday I will be able to eliminate the air filter and plugs as I am going to put the old uns back in.

Reading red98's STUTTERING FZS 600 a year on and got to post 555 and was gutted for the man even 12 months after the original post.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,2066.550.html

I'm still not happy with the coils so I may purchase one and play around with em to see if performance chances. The secondary coil has to be a factor or they would be the closer readings as with the primary coil.

I is going back to REDs stuttering fzs as its turning out to be one of the best dramas I have read for a long time. Plenty of smut in it un all  :D

Daz

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 September 2013, 05:33:08 pm »
You are a brave man to be tackling that Bible of a thread :P

It makes for good reading and banter though ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 September 2013, 06:10:42 pm »
oh no....my headaches have returned  :o .......iam going to re-read your thread from the start and try and understand  ;) ...i dont think its anything you have done at service time but worth putting the old plugs and filter back in so you can cross it off the list...as nick has said new plugs have been known to be faulty....ive had my fair share of duff plugs  :\ 
One, is never going to be enough.....

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 September 2013, 07:38:45 pm »
oh no....my headaches have returned  :o .......iam going to re-read your thread from the start and try and understand  ;) ...i dont think its anything you have done at service time but worth putting the old plugs and filter back in so you can cross it off the list...as nick has said new plugs have been known to be faulty....ive had my fair share of duff plugs  :\

:rollin :rollin :rollin sorry RED but I is with ya on this one  :groan . Mechanics say its coils and my experience says same along with electrical mainly bad earth some where. I have just had the knock back on some garage space so have to do one job at a time and rebuild because bike is in public  :(

I am trying to  :book up so I can start to tick off jobs, so I am revisiting everything I have done.

Daz  :crazy
« Last Edit: 15 September 2013, 07:40:07 pm by dBfazer600 »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16 September 2013, 06:52:55 am »
not ice doing jobs you have already done....i made a check list in the end ,stuck it on the wall....iam getting on a bit and my memorys not too good.....the list helped a great deal...the regulator which i had`nt thought about stood out a mile  :rolleyes ....keep us posted buddy  ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 16 September 2013, 07:08:30 am »
not ice doing jobs you have already done....i made a check list in the end ,stuck it on the wall....iam getting on a bit and my memorys not too good.....the list helped a great deal...the regulator which i had`nt thought about stood out a mile  :rolleyes ....keep us posted buddy  ;)

I made a check list like that once - but I forgot where I put it...

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 16 September 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
Just got home and I have a parcel awaiting pick up from local post office. My day off tomorrow so pick coils up, fit it and lets play

:woot :woot :woot :woot :woot

Daz

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 September 2013, 08:03:52 pm »
Picked up the parcel, got it home and like a 3 year old in a past the parcel game I went for it.

In order of unpacking:

Plastic cover off
Ignored the invoice
Cut the tape around box top
Box top off
Packing paper thrown across the room

:stop ed in my tracks

As I peered into a large box I was some what confused of its content. My name was on the package along with the correct address. But I was well and truly stumped to find a pair of stilettos.

I is getting a divorce and changing my bank account details.

No part today

Daz  :(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 September 2013, 08:14:28 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17 September 2013, 08:37:30 pm »
you sure there not yours    :lol :lol :lol .....little things like that really piss me off  :\ ...fingers crossed postie brings the coils tomorrow  ;)