Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:07 pm

Author Topic: drift camera  (Read 34191 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
drift camera
« on: 19 September 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
anyone got one ?....thinking of treating myself to one....i like the idea of the remote strapped to the bars and starting the camera whilst iam riding.....thoughts please focers
One, is never going to be enough.....

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: drift camera
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2013, 09:44:56 pm »
I have one Red. They are awesome bits of kit. I have a front mount fitted under the top fairing on my FZS600 and another mount facing backwards clamped on the grabrail. The footage quality is superb in 1080HD mode. The standard battery will get you about 2-3hrs of footage if you get an SD card large enough to hold that much data. I have the drift stealth which is a few years old now. The latest version is smaller (shorter) and has a replaceable lens incase it gets cracked or damaged. This is a good option for onboard bike footage due to stones flying up etc. I think the new one can be had for about £150 on the bay of E.
I appreciate there are cheaper alternatives out there but I bet the footage quality isn't as good. Go for it. You won't be disappointed  ;)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2013, 06:52:18 am »
hi lez...thanks for that....yep thought i would spend a bit more and get better picture quality  :) i thouhgt the sleath model was a bit more than that.will have to look on evil bay....thanks for your input.....anyone else got an action cam ?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2013, 07:01:40 am »
Just bought a cheap action cam (3 I think) just to see how I get on with it. Haven't used it yet, If I start to use it a lot I might consider a better one. I do like the idea of the remote controller. Not bothered about sound quality cos it seems all you get on a bike is wind roar anyway.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2013, 08:36:28 am »
Just bought a cheap action cam (3 I think) just to see how I get on with it. Haven't used it yet, If I start to use it a lot I might consider a better one. I do like the idea of the remote controller. Not bothered about sound quality cos it seems all you get on a bike is wind roar anyway.

ah...think someone else on here has one of them......MAPLINS ?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2013, 09:12:44 am »
hi lez...thanks for that....yep thought i would spend a bit more and get better picture quality  :) i thouhgt the sleath model was a bit more than that.will have to look on evil bay....thanks for your input.....anyone else got an action cam ?
.....Mmmm,...got one in bedroom! ;) ...you quite welcome to come and use that one matey? :D ...mates rates of cause!! ;) ...has long has i can sit on ya shoulders and watch :b :b :b ......ps,got it set up for atb n baabs!!
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 09:17:16 am by CRH »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2013, 09:28:28 am »
.....Mmmm,...got one in bedroom! ;) ...you quite welcome to come and use that one matey? :D ...mates rates of cause!! ;) ...has long has i can sit on ya shoulders and watch :b :b :b ......ps,got it set up for atb n baabs!!

:lol :lol :lol birthdays and christmas all come at once for you this weekend........ade on the way  :lol :lol :lol

was hoping you would post as i know your a bit of a CCTV expert    :rolleyes :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2013, 09:35:50 am »

:lol :lol :lol birthdays and christmas all come at once for you this weekend........ade on the way  :lol :lol :lol

was hoping you would post as i know your a bit of a CCTV expert    :rolleyes :rolleyes
...hey!!..thers no need for that now is there? :rolleyes ..only trying to help!!..anyway dont want t talk bt me cctv cam :rolleyes ..sum fkr nicked it :'( ....anyway he did say on his way home afterwards"..he would call round hi,wycomb to pick up his wellies? 8) ......

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2013, 09:43:03 am »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol ...some foccer nicked your cam,bastid.....did you get it on film :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2013, 09:45:17 am »
back to topic or we will have another stuttering thread on our hands  :rolleyes .....not far from london so was thinking of zooming up to tottenham court road and see if i can get a bargain.....anyone shopped here before ?  :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2013, 09:50:20 am »
what do you think? :rolleyes ....wasnt switched on ..was it?.....think scrap man took it cus we had some old car wings go at same time?....it was a wireless one with a small arial on it!....my fault should have put it higher up :'( ....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2013, 10:10:57 am »
 :o thought that was a joke mate....sorry to hear that  :\ ........stiil ade and babs will cheer you up  :lol

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2013, 10:14:25 am »
Drift Ghost HD is supposed to be very good RoadcraftNottingham on YouTube was raving about it.

Personally I am very pleased with my Contour Roam2 (about the same price) but wish I'd spent more and gone for the GPS version.

Cheers DBo.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2013, 10:18:56 am »
chk out this cheapy on evilbay paul?....121153922330....looks good for its money?..or 321126694287............driftcam...261288283951
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 10:54:24 am by CRH »

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2013, 03:32:22 pm »
I recently picked up a refurbished (typically returned but tested OK) Drift X170 from Amazon for £35+shipping. They seem to be gone now but if you keep your eye out these things do show up cheap. Bit of a punt on a refurbished unit but 9/10 they're fine and you can always send them back.

This isn't a modern HD one. It's standard definition, but I thought it would be sufficient for my first action cam while I get the hand of the things.

I like that it takes regular AA batteries because then when the run out mid-ride I can just put new ones in. I've got some super-duper AA rechargeables on the way from Germany (much better than normal ones).

It didn't come with any memory but I picked up a 16GB Micro SD pretty cheap. It actually takes a standard (larger) SD card but I thought best to buy the more modern Micro SD type and use it with a £1 converter because the Micro SD will fit other modern devices or future cameras I might buy.

I don't like that it doesn't have a connector for an external microphone, to be honest didn't realise that was the case when I bought it. But it's sufficient for my initial purposes of convering myself against dodgy insurance claims etc, and If I decide to do the who vlogging thing then I imagine I could open it up and solder an external mic in place of the internal one.

My bother's drift HD certainly has a much better picture quality, but for the time being that sort of thing is out of my budget. I think for what I paid I'm happy-ish, and glad I have the build quality of the drift compared to cheaper stuff. Will experiment further when batteries arrive.

Andy

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2013, 03:51:11 pm »
People seem to love the drift or hate it.  After recent events and from an insurance point of view if you can record your rides it would be advisable.

The cheapo action cameras are always passable but vastly inferior to the professional units.   My advice is mount a cheapy camera facing backward and put a decent on on your helmet.

If you look on YouTube you'll see loads of example footage.

IMO the gopro units are better but you pay through the nose for them, they're also very desirable (read nickable) making the drift units very attractive. The turnable lense, waterproof without case and built in review panel as well as the remote control makes it a brilliant package.

I'll be buying one soon.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2013, 03:52:41 pm »
I'd love to hear the results of TCR too. I've never found they come close to ebay/amazon/online shopping especially when you take in to account road craft Nottinghams online discount code too.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2013, 04:35:29 pm »

People seem to love the drift or hate it.  After recent events and from an insurance point of view if you can record your rides it would be advisable.

?
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2013, 04:44:45 pm »

?

Self explanatory? No better witness/accident report than a video.  Saying that you did something doesn't have the same gravitas as incontrovertible video evidence.

It's also highly amusing for everyone to see if you have an off in snow like that poor critter in the other post. I wonder how mullered his bike was.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 04:55:53 pm by simonm »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2013, 06:12:11 pm »

Yep, Bill (slimwilly) got one (Actioncam 3), I thought the quality of the vids he posted was good enough to be starting with, £60 Maplins job, + microSD card (16Gb). I also thought I might not end up using it much, hence going for a cheaper option. I may have been right, cos it's still in the box!  :lol

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2013, 06:24:55 pm »

Yep, Bill (slimwilly) got one (Actioncam 3), I thought the quality of the vids he posted was good enough to be starting with, £60 Maplins job, + microSD card (16Gb). I also thought I might not end up using it much, hence going for a cheaper option. I may have been right, cos it's still in the box!  :lol

It is very good value for money but it has a LOT of problems.  The mic is worse than rubbish, the frame rate seems slow.  IIRC it splits the files in to 2gb pieces and it misses out a few seconds at the beginning and end of each file.  The buttons are a faff to use and difficult to remember which sequence of flashing lights means what.  The editing is difficult as IIRC the codecs, although okay, are not the normal mobile ones.

I think Alex Fitu got it right, whack a 32GB card in each, set it to loop, run from the ignition, overwrite when full and mount one at the front and one at the back permanently.  Good for accident evidence.

I'd get something decent for a helmet camera though.

All of this is just my own unsubstantiated opinion.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2013, 07:04:48 pm »
Think you've missed my point there Simon. I'm not looking to make a Hollywood movie, nor do I know whether I'll get into using a cam at all. Hence cheap to start. I'm aware that there are much better ones out there, but I don't want to spend until I'm sure I can justify it. I'm not planning on using it to film accident evidence or any other stuff like that. I'm not likely to be a regular poster on YouTube, if at all.  It's just something I thought I'd try, and see how I get on.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
Think you've missed my point there Simon. I'm not looking to make a Hollywood movie, nor do I know whether I'll get into using a cam at all. Hence cheap to start. I'm aware that there are much better ones out there, but I don't want to spend until I'm sure I can justify it. I'm not planning on using it to film accident evidence or any other stuff like that. I'm not likely to be a regular poster on YouTube, if at all.  It's just something I thought I'd try, and see how I get on.
It doesn't always work out like that for me.   I see your point but for me it's like saying I'm in to cars, do I buy a ford ka or a focus st.

One will cheese you off, the other will give you a smile. I find the cheap Web cam irritates me from its lack of finesse and polish but it's okay for routine use. If it makes you happy that's all that matters tho :-)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2013, 08:23:49 pm »
understand what your saying NICK....thats a good starter camera at a good price...looking at slimwillys video`s  the pictures pretty good too.......iam split between the 2 now....working this weekend so no shopping for me......yet  ;) 

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
I have a drift hd love it remote is bit hit and miss with gloves so got a on light rigged up
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)