Date: 03-06-24  Time: 15:33 pm

Author Topic: MRA touring screen  (Read 1789 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
MRA touring screen
« on: 13 September 2013, 05:20:46 pm »
Hi

For a long time now i've had the yamaha touring screen on my Thou (it came with the bike). im a tiny bit under 6' 4" and find the screen ok...ish

Im looking at switching to the MRA touring screen (£100!). im running Renthal 758's but with small risers (around 20mm)

Im hoping the bars wont foul the screen on full lock. I'm just trying to weigh up if its worth spending £100 on a screen!?!?!.....what do you reckon?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: MRA touring screen
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2013, 06:40:33 pm »
You have to try it to get the results.

You do really need two screens, a small one for fun days and a flip up touring screen for the wet and long rides
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2013, 07:17:50 pm »
Phil, I think you will find the Yamaha and MRA touring screens are one and the same thing on the Gen 1. If you are getting an MRA Vario, the one with the additional blade then it won't interfere with the bars.

If you want a big touring screen then get one of these from MadStad [size=78%]http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/info_Madstad_Bracket_Windshield_System_Yamaha_FZS1000_Fazer_2001-2005.html[/size]

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2013, 10:54:09 am »
With screens it's a case of suck it and see. I used to have an MRA vario and was never quite sure if it worked or not, I had the blade thing up and down and at all angles, I even put it on upside down once but it never really did anything for me. But, for some people it works a treat.
 By the way, if anyone has a standard Gen 1 screen for sale cheapish, I would be interested. PM me.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2013, 05:37:14 pm »
You have to try it to get the results.

Very true...its just a bastard when you have to spend £100 on a screen, then it turns out to be no better than what you already have :)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2013, 01:00:03 pm »
I've tried pretty much every screen available, from GIVI (terrible) to the USA genuine touring screen. I'm 6'4'' and I find they all generate turbulence, generally the bigger the screen the worse it gets. I'm currently using a MRA with the movable blade, I don't find it all that much better than the original screen.
I have two spare screens, one is a Yamaha touring and the other I don't know what make it is (see pics). You are welcome to either of them to try if you don't mind paying the post, if they don't suit just pass them on for someone else to try.
Jim.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2013, 01:02:16 pm »
Here's the other one.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2013, 03:11:43 pm »
I have a Puig D/B with an X-creen fitted at the moment.

With the blade fully up and angled back there is no buffeting but it is noisy. With the blade down and less steeply angled it is much quieter the D/B on it own and less buffeting but only up to about 90mph.

The basic problem is the fairing is too small and too far away from the rider and no screens have worked perfectly for me (and I have tried most)

Some Pics of current set up