Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:20 pm

Author Topic: Motorbike boots widths / sizes  (Read 6824 times)

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Motorbike boots widths / sizes
« on: 24 November 2011, 01:58:11 pm »
Hi does anyone know if Alpinestars' boots generally come up wider than TCX or if they come up wide in general. If not anyone know any boots at all that I can get in a size 49 or 50 (EUR) that come up quite wide? Preferably sports tourer / sports style.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting anything that will fit me at the moment. Decided to go down the mail order route since no shops seem to have my sizes. First I got some Spada's in a 47 which were too small both in terms of length and width. Now I've just got some TCX S-Zero's and they feel a bit too tight width ways on one foot (just keeping them on for 30 minutes). Considering the amount of money I've paid for them I've prefer to send them back and pay a similar amount for some that are completely comfortable!

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Motorbike boots widths / sizes
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2011, 05:03:50 pm »
Bikes boots IMO are a nightmare to buy.

I've got no idea about sizes and widths etc but they take a lot of trying on before you get a pair that are comfortable in all departments. Takes longer than buying a helmet.

Last time a renewed a pair I was in the shop for about two hours driving the staff mad.

I bought some of these in the end.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berik-GPX-Sport-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Boots-1196-Blk-42-/200369801822

Fitted like a glove the moment I put them on. The colour wasn't really my choice but my feet don't mind. I think it's harder now than what it used to be, with all the pivots and plastic they add to make the boot stronger. It sort of restricts movement and is worse if the boot is new.

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2011, 07:48:20 pm »
Bikes boots IMO are a nightmare to buy.

Yeah it definitely seems like it, seeing as a 49 was slightly too narrow for me and not overly massive length wise I'm thinking I probably need a 50 which really do restrict me. As far as I can tell only Sidi and Alpinestars actually manufacture this size and seeing as Sidi's boots are notorious for being particularly narrow I'm going to order a pair of these:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/63591

Probably bankrupt me but I don't think I've got any other options to be honest!

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2011, 08:09:52 pm »
I have quite wide feet and have trouble with both boots and shoes. I have been wearing the SMX4 boots for 3 years but needed to go up a size due to the width. Using a 45 at the moment and they are snug for width but too long in length.
 I have tried the Goretex ones and I found, because of the goretex lining they were a bit narrow to be honest.
If you are looking for width the Daytona Roadstars seem quite wide to me and they can be made specially if you require. You do however pay the price for this. If you are looking to spend £250 then another £100 will get you the Daytonas made to fit

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2011, 08:54:00 pm »
I don't think the Alpinestars are very wide. I have narrow feet and the SMX4 goretex are fairly snug.

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2011, 09:05:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't looking to spend as much as £250 although I'm not entirely disappointed as I'm obviously going to getter a much better product. I was completely stretching it trying to find a spare £250 though, £350ish is definitely out at the moment unfortunately. I might order the S-MX R Gore-Tex ones anyway in hope that I'll fit into them inspite of the gore-tex lining based on the fact that their a size bigger than the TCX ones, not that hopeful based on what's been said but it may just save me £100.

If that fails then I'll probably try and keep the £250 refund aside until I've got enough together for the Daytona's. Thanks very much for the tip off about those flesh, I've been trying to find a wide-foot motorbike boot everywhere and couldn't even though I've seen the Daytona's before, didn't see they had this option.

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2011, 11:42:42 pm »
google Altberg's Hogg AW. all their boots are made to measure actually.

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2011, 12:37:48 pm »
google Altberg's Hogg AW. all their boots are made to measure actually.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2011, 12:13:04 pm »
My feet are unusually wide and each one has a titanium reinforced joint in it that doesn't move any more - so I have to have nearly all my boots and shoes made to fit.

I agree with Flesh - Daytona Roadstars are wider and slightly longer than the normal 'standard' size boots made by Sidi, Alpinestars etc. I can't get my extra wide plates into any Italian made boots, but the Daytona's have plenty of room, which is handy for thick winter socks.

They're expensive; but worth the investment if you can stretch to it. I've had mine for four years and about 70,000 miles so far and they fit as well as the day I bought them. Years of wear left in them, too.

Altberg - I've not had bike boots from them, but I've had a pair of walking boots and a pair of walking shoes made by them to fit me. Can't fault them for service and quality and the prices are not too bad, considering the product.

I would buy Daytona and Altberg again at the drop of a hat.   

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2011, 02:54:10 am »
I have quite wide feet and have trouble with both boots and shoes. I have been wearing the SMX4 boots for 3 years but needed to go up a size due to the width. Using a 45 at the moment and they are snug for width but too long in length.
 I have tried the Goretex ones and I found, because of the goretex lining they were a bit narrow to be honest.
If you are looking for width the Daytona Roadstars seem quite wide to me and they can be made specially if you require. You do however pay the price for this. If you are looking to spend £250 then another £100 will get you the Daytonas made to fit

I got a pair of daytonas.  Cost a packet, but feel as comfy as carpet slippers once on.  I got size 46.   All other boots I tried felt very hard on the foot.
Head Focced

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2011, 09:33:33 am »
Alpinestars tend to be wider that said some of their designs are much wider than others.

I have very wide right foot and always struggle with any kind of shoe/boot golden rule always try on as many different makes as possible, I've even found the same make and type of shoe/boot can vary wildly between pairs.  If there tight when you try them chances are they will not loosen much after wear this is due to non natural materials being used now days.   

I recently bought Alpinestars SMX-Plus boots I bought half size bigger and just wear a thicker sock they fit perfectly best fit I've ever had.  :)

Later

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2011, 02:52:46 pm »
My feet are unusually wide and each one has a titanium reinforced joint in it that doesn't move any more - so I have to have nearly all my boots and shoes made to fit.

I agree with Flesh - Daytona Roadstars are wider and slightly longer than the normal 'standard' size boots made by Sidi, Alpinestars etc. I can't get my extra wide plates into any Italian made boots, but the Daytona's have plenty of room, which is handy for thick winter socks.

They're expensive; but worth the investment if you can stretch to it. I've had mine for four years and about 70,000 miles so far and they fit as well as the day I bought them. Years of wear left in them, too.

Altberg - I've not had bike boots from them, but I've had a pair of walking boots and a pair of walking shoes made by them to fit me. Can't fault them for service and quality and the prices are not too bad, considering the product.

I would buy Daytona and Altberg again at the drop of a hat.

Crikey, what happened to your feet with the titanium bits?
Forgot to add my daytona's were 199 and the guy said that you can send them off to have a new sole fitted when the time comes.  he said that he has riders who have had the boots for donkey's years, and are on their third sole.
Not sure I'd want to keep them too long as the safety will probably improve with design and time.
Head Focced

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2011, 10:06:53 pm »
I've looked at the Daytonas, but the cheapest I can see them is about £240 and at the moment I still have a pair of Puma boots in good nick (apart from being a bit niffy!  :lol )

Maybe when they need replacing I'll go for the Daytonas, but that won't be soon.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2011, 04:19:20 pm »
I struggle due to a high instep, makes my foot feel wide but actually it isn't, have all my trouble around the toe box area of boots/trainees etc
try Bullson by Heine Gerricke, its their own brand and I got a pr and they fit great. can't comment on comfy for walking coz I ride to and from work so only ever on the bike
good luck
fire never sleeps

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2011, 08:39:15 pm »
I have wide feet and calves, none of the main brands fitted, the only boots I could get into were these which are ultra adjustable for the heel and calf fastners;
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/boots-shoes/hein-gericke-rallye-iii-gore-texr-stiefel.html
HG also do a budget range of Daytona boots but not the extra wide ones, might be worth visiting if you have a branch nearby.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2011, 04:38:12 pm »
Daytona make a version of the roadstar specifically for Hein Gericke. I think they are called the Shair.The Shair is the same spec as the Roadstar but price is about £270.