Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:16 pm

Author Topic: lucky or what?  (Read 2547 times)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
lucky or what?
« on: 30 August 2013, 08:33:47 pm »
 110mph wheelie biker is spared jail  6:13pm Friday 30th August 2013 in News
 ROAD safety leaders have condemned the actions of a motorcyclist who performed a wheelie at 110mph as irresponsible and extremely dangerous after he was today spared jail.
 Michael John Chester, 42, overtook a car on his Suzuki GSXR while doing a wheelie, and then as he struggled to bring the bike back under control as he returned to two wheels on the A63 in North Yorkshire.
 At a sentencing hearing at Northallerton Magistrates’ Court, chairman of the bench Jo Senior told Mr Chester he had come very close to going to prison – but instead he was issued a 12 week prison sentence suspended for two years and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.
    He was also banned from driving for 20 months and issued a £165 fine.
 The latest figures show that 11 motorcyclists have been killed already this year – more than double the number during the whole of last year when five people died.
 Road safety leader at North Yorkshire County Council Honor Byford said Mr Chester did not represent the majority of responsible motorcyclists in the region’s roads but condemned his behaviour as “extremely dangerous stunt riding.”
 She said: “This kind of showing off and speed riding is not acceptable on public roads – if people want to do that they should book a track day.”

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: lucky or what?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2013, 08:38:28 pm »
I've never done a track day but would you be allowed to ride like that? unless you're at wheelie school?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2013, 08:42:13 pm »
I wonder if Mr. Chester thought he was "struggling to bring the bike back under control"....D'ya think that was his defence - "I was just overtaking a car and all of a sudden the front wheel just came up - Gee, it's never done that before"  :lol

Prosecution: "Then perhaps you can explain, Mr. Chester, the 180 degree stoppie turn it did after that, followed by the 100 mph burnout in the other direction?"
Mr. Chester: "Ahem, well,............."
« Last Edit: 30 August 2013, 08:57:11 pm by nick crisp »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2013, 10:38:38 pm »
I wonder if Mr. Chester thought he was "struggling to bring the bike back under control"....D'ya think that was his defence - "I was just overtaking a car and all of a sudden the front wheel just came up - Gee, it's never done that before"  :lol

Prosecution: "Then perhaps you can explain, Mr. Chester, the 180 degree stoppie turn it did after that, followed by the 100 mph burnout in the other direction?"
Mr. Chester: "Ahem, well,............."

"You see, the clutch slipped..."  :evil

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2013, 11:16:38 pm »
110mph wheelie biker is spared jail 

Given that drivers who have killed bikers have got away with a slap on the wrist and maybe a fine and a bit of community service, jailing this guy simply for being an idiot and mostly only putting himself at risk would have been the icing on the cake...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2013, 12:47:48 am »
Would be interesting to see the Magistrates decision on a reliant robin driver caught overtaking while doing a 110 mph wheelie. Is this a car or is it a bike
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

LucasMoore

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Appache
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2013, 06:57:06 am »
 :eek  It is too much dangerous. Why not I am as you  :'( ?  I like bike riding but like this. I will try too.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2013, 09:17:30 am by Farjo »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2013, 10:30:21 am »
I've never done a track day but would you be allowed to ride like that? unless you're at wheelie school?

Not allowed to do wheelies on trackdays!
Some say...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2013, 12:38:22 pm »

Not allowed to do wheelies on trackdays!

Is there anywhere we can do them?!? Aparts from a school to learn how to do them?!?
The Deef's apprentice

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2013, 12:51:53 pm »
I agree that riding like this on public roads is not acceptable but did anyone get hurt as a result ? No
My point is, I don't understand why there can be the threat of prison for pulling a 110mph wheelie when loads of criminals remain out of prison after committing crimes against other people where there is an actual victim. Pulling a wheelie is not a criminal offence. Neither is speeding. It is a breach of a road traffic law and not criminality.
Like I said above, I don't agree with or condone this type of riding but there are worse things happening out there. If somebody had been hurt or killed as a result of this riders actions then that would be a different matter entirely but they weren't.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2013, 01:30:58 pm »
I make ya right
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)