Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:55 pm

Author Topic: Starter clutch?  (Read 1412 times)

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Starter clutch?
« on: 27 August 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
Hi chaps, some of you will know me from the other FZS1000 forum, but it's a bit quiet over there these days so I thought I'd post here.

Got a bit of bother with the old faithful. (Gen 1, 2004, 31,000ish miles)
I rode down to Germany recently with absolutely no issues, parked the bike up in the garage and haven't ridden it for a couple of weeks. Went to start it the other day and all I got was the starter motor whirring away but nothing from the engine at all.

It sounds to my (untrained) ears as if the starter clutch might be sticking/knackered. I don't remember ever reading about anyone else having this though. Seems unusual but I'm a bit worried it's going to have me off the road for a bit as it sounds like it's probably an expensive thing to fix. Anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks for any constructive replies! Worried this might bankrupt me.

***EDIT***

I might be wrong about this. Just tried again and I got a big backfire, so I checked and it seems that vapours are coming out of the exhaust when I turn it over. But it seems to turn over quite easily with no spark. Might not be the starter clutch. Tried bump starting it. In 1st there's loads of compression, in 2nd it turns over well enough but still seems as if there's no spark. I've checked the little fuse box but they all seem ok. The plug caps are all properly seated and all the other electrics seem to work OK. Got a full tank of fuel. Carb is probably flooded now from me trying.

Any ideas what I need to try next?
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 04:02:49 pm by hotmetal »
__
There's no replacement for displacement

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Starter clutch?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2013, 05:12:06 pm »
We always used to put one spark plug against the engine with a lead on it in a dark place and turned it over on the key to see a visible spark. No spark then that narrows it down lots, how many coils? if more than one then its not them, maybe form ignition to coils

Good luck
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2013, 05:26:04 pm »
Thanks mate, I believe there are 2 coils, so I don't think it's them.
I've tried connecting and disconnecting various connectors and checked the fuses (including the main 30A one in the other box) and it doesn't seem to be that.

I'm not really very good with electrics so might have to call out a mobile mech.
__

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2013, 05:32:25 pm »
Put a drop of oil in each cylinder and try again.

Sounds like the bores are oil-free and so you have very little compression. 

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2013, 05:49:02 pm »
Cheers Mike, I'll give that a go. Could that be responsible for it not starting? I rode 1000 miles on it at the end of July with no problems.

Just tried to bump it again – still nothing, though there was enough compression to make it drag the rear wheel when in 1st. I then thumbed the starter again and it made the normal "attempting to start" sound (i.e. I think it fired but didn't catch). Tried again but it was back to the higher-sounding fast turnover. It's very strange, but at least I think we've established it's not the starter clutch, which I'm told is 3-4 hrs labour and £250 parts.
__

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2013, 07:32:15 pm »
A couple of friends have had similar issues with FJ1300s.  Long trips, longish lay-up immediately after results in the oil draining down and the bores getting dry.

You might want to try fresh plugs when you have another go.

Hope this is it ... good luck! :)

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2013, 08:14:00 pm »
Cheers Mike. Your input is always gratefully received. Interesting to hear about the other guys that had similar trouble. Your experience is invaluable.
__

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2013, 10:50:26 pm »
Well, you were right. My '3M' (mechanically-minded mate) came over for a pint and fish'n'chips and as soon as we turned it over he said it's lack of compression due to dry bores. He reckoned that the rings can get stuck in their compressed state as the pistons cool after a long run and the oil drains down, especially if there's a little bit of carbon making them tight in their grooves. That can be enough to lower the compression to the point of no starting.

The 'quick fix' that worked for us was just to hook it up to my car and jump it. Once I revved up the car to the point it was kicking out decent amperage the bike caught. Jeff reckoned this is quite common but a bike battery, even fully charged, can't do it. He said turning the engine over fast enough draws oil up from the sump and also can generate enough heat and vibration to help the sticky rings pop out again and restore full compression.

Anyway, whatever the intimate details, seems that solved it! Thank goodness it wasn't the starter clutch, I was fooled by the speed at which it was turning over. You live and learn. Gotta love forums and the guys who share their knowledge.
__

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2013, 05:06:51 am »
I recall my mate with the Feejers telling me got his going once by keeping the starter going for long (20 - 30 secs) bursts which must have circulated the oil in the way your 3M described.  Need to be careful not to overheat the starter motor, though.

Glad it's sorted, that's the main thing. :)