Date: 17-06-24  Time: 13:27 pm

Author Topic: Is the s2 a quick bike?  (Read 4938 times)

gtfire

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
    • View Profile
Is the s2 a quick bike?
« on: 16 August 2013, 08:06:30 pm »
I have had my s2 for a few weeks now and around 700 miles and I thought it would hold its own but am very surprised at is performance. I'm no road racer but I have been out with a few friends and up to 70 mph....hmmm it's just about as quick as any bike. Above 3 figures it begins to trail off but to be honest that's not a problem for me.
Gt

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Is the s2 a quick bike?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2013, 08:22:09 pm »
The purists (and the poor!  :lol ) prefer the original FZS.

Grahamm's fitted a power commander to his bike, and was raving about the results. Ask him, he might be able to provide more infoes!
The Deef's apprentice

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2013, 09:40:17 pm »
also known as merv the swerve? that's a big claim lol. :rollin
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2013, 09:50:26 pm »
also known as merv the swerve? that's a big claim lol. :rollin

It's because of my cornering style. Ask Kosmic Kartman or Exupnut, they coined it!!  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
Me & the old man blasted the highlands recently, me on my fzs600, him on his early fz6, we had an absolute hoot & i felt that in a straight line my bike had a slight gain over him but he definitely had the advantage on the corners & although he is very experienced i think it was still down to the superior handling of the fz6 & slightly wider tyre.

Not trying to suggest you arent using it as you should but just checking, are you thrashing its tits in because thats what it likes, get the revs up & keep it singing & don't worry about the red line.& you should be busy with the gears on the fazer & ready to pounce.

Ive thrashed my bike alongside R6's,FZ1's,GSXR 600's,CBR's & never felt that i was struggling under normal road conditions & keeping up with more racey bikes is all part of the fun. 8)
« Last Edit: 16 August 2013, 10:03:15 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2013, 05:11:40 am »
Is the S2 a quick bike? It depends what you're comparing it to, and a riders experience level.
Bearing in mind that whilst it uses the R6 motor (albeit detuned), it was never really intended as an out-and out sportsbike like the R6 was.
As silly a question as it may seem, yours hasn't been 33bhp-restricted has it (and possibly sold on with the restriction still in place)?

gtfire

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2013, 04:19:16 pm »
I think my topic has been misunderstood. What I am saying is for a 600 non sports bike it's very very quick. If let's say I was on my local runway it would hold its own with much more powerful competition all the way to 120mph. 
And yes I ride with enthusiasm to the red line when the time and road suits :)

Gt

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2013, 10:48:27 pm »
Haha - you've just found out that all the bad press about the FZ6 and particularly the S2 is bollocks  :rollin upto 7k it's a perfectly well mannered easy to ride day to day commuter, but keep the throttle pinned and it becomes a nutter all the way up to as fast as your comfortable and probably a bit beyond.

Remember chasing a Ferrari up the M55 one afternoon and having to keep going when he pulled over, loved it .....

In fact, at the moment I think it might have been easier to ride quick than the FZ1S I've just traded up to ......

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2013, 01:16:05 pm »
I think my topic has been misunderstood. What I am saying is for a 600 non sports bike it's very very quick. If let's say I was on my local runway it would hold its own with much more powerful competition all the way to 120mph. 
And yes I ride with enthusiasm to the red line when the time and road suits :)

Yes it is pretty quick, but in fairness most of the other 600cc non sports bikes put out a fair bit less power! Banit, sv etc. Only one that would be able to keep up would be a hornet 6 (and probably the Z750, but that's also a bigger engine!)
I can tell you though that it wouldn't keep up with a rider on a bigger bike that wasn't actually afraid of opening the throttle fully! Back when I had my Ninja 9 (which in itself was an older bike, but still 145hp/190ish kilos) a mate of mine back home bought an S2 (it was the RWU forks, but bluespot calipers, think that's an S2?) and was raving about it, he could pull off a little easier from the line than I could as it'd wheelie, but after that I'd literally destroy him! No matter what people say, if they are willing to ope the throttl fully on a liter bike then in a straight line there's no replacement for displacement!

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2013, 06:36:58 pm »
I,ve had my FZ6s2 from new its a 07 model when it went in for servicing they lent me a Honda 600cbf couldnt wait to get my FZ6 it beat the Honda hands down in every way it was plain boring, a mate has a Honda cbf  1000 which he bought new two years ago and although it beats my FZ6 in cubic capacity that is all it does beat it in , my bike out accelerates it , better on fuel on a run or he has a smaller tank .