Date: 02-06-24  Time: 04:09 am

Author Topic: New exhaust  (Read 2455 times)

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
New exhaust
« on: 14 August 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
So i,m finally about to order my complete system (only waited about 4 months lol) but to partially fund it i will be selling the original down pipes,my question is what price do you think i should sell these for.I have seen them on E Bay going for £135 but do you guys think this is a realistic price or should i go a lot lower than this.
Regards Ady

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: New exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2013, 04:55:08 pm »
Id say lower adrian because you can pick up brand new stainless ones sometimes for £150 & the originals are crap quality, anyone wanting 2nd hand originals will be looking much lower.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2013, 05:38:31 pm »
Would anyone really want to be fitting originals back on?
I would have thought that the only reason to want to but an original set, would be because their's were that damaged (dented, holes, etc) and they couldn't afford a stainless set, so i would think they would only want to pay sub-£100 for a set of originals, seeing as the stainless ones aren't that much dearer than you are thinking of asking for your originals.
I'm about to buy a set of stainless front pipes, as for the original ones i'll be removing?...i might just clean them up, spray them and stick them on ebay for around £75.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2013, 06:31:46 pm »
Yea thats what i was thinking,i would say they are as good as new so don,t even need to paint them,getting them delivered to someone could be a pain in the arse though so may have to be a collection only but that does limit the sale.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2013, 06:39:47 pm »
Have a look in the for sale section you'll get a price there. The originals do need maintenance but I think they are generally considered the best for the bike.

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2013, 07:11:30 pm »
Oops, I left my originals on the street for the scrappie

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2013, 07:41:33 pm »
LOL think i,m going mad,2 days deciding which rear box to get and changed my mind again.So Motad downpipes and looks like it may be a Simmi rear section have heard nothing but praise all over the net about this small company,gonna ring tomorrow to find out a price and hopefully that will be that.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2013, 08:05:47 am »
Yea thats what i was thinking,i would say they are as good as new so don,t even need to paint them,getting them delivered to someone could be a pain in the arse though so may have to be a collection only but that does limit the sale.

Save the box your blinging new pipes come in to post the old ones in!
Some say...

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2013, 12:42:25 pm »

Yea thought of that when i was in the shower last night, a moment of inspiration   :lol :lol

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2013, 01:22:03 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the originals other than the quality of the steel of system. The actual workmanship is good (Yamaha made them).
Remember what ever downpipes you get make sure they have the balance pipes on them.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2013, 01:39:22 pm »
Yea just ordered the Simmi silencer going to order the down pipes from Motad tomorrow,i believe they have the balance pipes,am i right?

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2013, 03:22:54 pm »
Got mine from Motad recently, yep they have the balance tubes, don't know how much effect they have.

Also wonder what effect having larger orafices on the entry of the pipes has as the gasses leave the cylinder head, thinking this in terms of gass velocity, inertia and the resulting scavenging of the burnt gasses from the cylinder.

But hey-ho at least I don't have holes all over the place now

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2013, 04:32:52 pm »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Simmi!

Good bit of kit, sounds great without the baffle. It was a bit tight going on, required a bit of persuasion. No probs so far. Also I now need to save for stainless downpipes.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2013, 05:04:28 pm »
If you change your exhaust headers make sure the restrictor point of the new set is similar in overall opening size to the original set.
The original outlet is: 35mm – 43.5mm external (its not actually round) at its most restricted point.
I’m not sure what the wall thickness is but I reckon it must be somewhere between 1.0mm and 2.00mm, my original pipes are still in good condition and I was loathe to saw them up to find out.
In any event the Motad replacement header system outlet pipe is has a clear open area of 1364sqm.  Whereas the original outlet is restricted to somewhere between 962sqm and 1075sqm.
When I fitted the Motad headers the power band almost evaporated and a gas analyser showed it be running far too weak, this being supported by the plug colour, which was snow white.
A further test was done by a lazer temp gauge on the exhaust clamp bracket of both original and new pipes and this showed the exhaust gas temp had risen.
To solve the issue the Motad pipe was sleeved down first to 1075sqm which improved things no end, and finally down to 975sqm, which seems to be better.
Plugs were checked and exhaust gas analysed and the results were as good as I could get them.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2013, 05:12:47 pm »

Yea thought of that when i was in the shower last night, a moment of inspiration   :lol :lol

You was thinking of me in the shower, what?  :eek

Some say...

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2013, 05:55:39 pm »

Well you got me figured out dude :lol :lol :lol :lol

You was thinking of me in the shower, what?  :eek

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2013, 07:59:38 pm »
You got me sussed Punk :lol :lol :lol