Date: 17-06-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: Moment of madness???  (Read 3031 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Moment of madness???
« on: 13 August 2013, 05:10:46 pm »
I'm stupidly thinking of chopping in the fz1 for a KTM. Either a superduke, or a 950sm.
I know they're bonkers, but has anyone on here owned/ridden one of them and compared it to the fz?

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
Re: Moment of madness???
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2013, 05:34:05 pm »
Do it!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2013, 06:06:26 pm »
I have been looking for another bike last few years, I will be keeping my Gen 1.

last few weeks I have tested the the following:

KTM 1190 Adventure, Aprilia Caponord, Triumph Tiger Explorer and BMW 1200 GS Clitoris.

If you have been riding a 4 cylinder bike for awhile you will notice how rough feeling less cylinders are, especially the twins. I find the Gen 1 like a giant twist and go on these bikes I had to use the gearbox more and keep it in a lower gear at town speeds. The Aprilia and BMW were horrible in town in traffic. I was surprised at how easy the KTM was to ride and the throttle response and smoothness were miles better than the other twins and all the controls were really light, It handled well too.

So KTM yes, Triumph maybe, Aprilia no and BMW no way (I know loads of people love these bikes but I wouldn't give it house room)

I really liked the KTM but at over £13,000 it is a bit expensive and it didn't seem to be worth £10,000 more than my bike.

I forgot my phone when I tested the Triumph and BMW but got some pics of the other two.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2013, 06:12:27 pm »
That's the new KTM with the different power modes isn't it? Did you get a chance to play with those at all, and what do you reckon - useful feature or gimmick? I think at the moment that is one bike I could live with. Not gonna happen tho', that's way to many sheckles for me! 

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2013, 07:01:44 pm »
The superduke is an amazing machine, one of my friends up here has one. Sounds lovely with akrapovic pipes and the other up side is you'll never need to buy new front tyres because for some reason they never get worn out... weird eh...  :lol

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2013, 08:03:13 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9297.msg93081.html#msg93081

All you will ever need.

And its not bad at all in town. Agree need to feather clutch a bit but with the smaller sprocket makes it so much more controllable.
This bike is awesome, not for the faint hearted.
This is a focused bike and very comfortable.
R

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2013, 08:22:48 pm »
Yeah, I like em Rayburn, but it's only one bike I can have, so I'll stick with the Fazer. Ironically, it may be the very lack of focus that makes the gen 1 thou such a good choice! But a Tuono will definitely be on the list for when I win the lottery!  :rolleyes 

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
I've an 07 SD and its the last bike I'd sell if I were forced to part will all my bikes. It's wildly different from my FZS, you need to get used to running out of revs much quicker, with all the 120 odd bhp being delivered very quickly. It ticks all the usual cliche boxes of 'involving', 'bonding' etc. but it's a lively bugger with a very steep steering angle - make sure you test ride ride one pretty extensively before buying one. You might also wait for the new one out early next year I think.

And no, Exup, you still can't have a go on mine...
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2013, 10:20:02 pm »
I've owned an Aprilia before, and tbh it was a love/hate relationship. I regularly get to ride my bro-in-laws mille streetfighter, and yep, its an ace bike, especially as he's tuned it up too!
I just fancy the ktm, as its different, with some really good reviews.

I only need my fz1 for playing out on, my fazer 600 will always be my work donkey, so my play bike doesn't really need to be 'that' practical really. I was looking at either another R1, or a gsxr 1000, as I was after fightering it as with my last one. I think the ktm is already done to some extent!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2013, 10:20:58 pm »
Have you considered the Husqvarna Nuda 900 R? They sound great!

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2013, 05:37:30 am »
If I had the money Chris, i'd certainly have a go on it. Unfortunately I'm looking at older bikes.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2013, 08:34:14 am »

Dont want a go anymore. Lawrence let me ride his mates honda blackbird on saturday. FAR SUPERIOR BIKE. KTM....Kant Ton-up on Motorway.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2013, 12:23:23 pm »

Dont want a go anymore. Lawrence let me ride his mates honda blackbird on saturday. FAR SUPERIOR BIKE. KTM....Kant Ton-up on Motorway.
I used to own a blackbird, and I would love to own another one but my wrists are knackered

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2013, 01:26:03 pm »

Dont want a go anymore.

yes you do  :D

just one thing stevierst - they're not cheap to run, you'll be lucky to get high 30mpg and if you rag it (and believe me you will) it's low 30's - orange light comes on usually around 120miles. The big service every 9000k is at least £400, often more (you can do the mid service, essentially oil and filter, yourself for around £90). And then there's the catalogue of *bling* orange aftermarket parts tugging at your wallet...

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2013, 03:58:10 pm »
Yeah, I've just been looking into that, some of the reviews said as few as 80 miles to the fuel light if you ride like a tw@! (but they'd be very fun miles)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2013, 08:12:13 pm »
Yeah, I've just been looking into that, some of the reviews said as few as 80 miles to the fuel light if you ride like a tw@! (but they'd be very fun miles)

That'll be the pre 07 model - after 07 they had a bigger tank.

Steven Wright

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2013, 08:44:57 pm »
Changing the tank size won't alter the fuel consumption - unless it makes it worse because it's carrying more weight! But I guess if I could afford a KTM I wouldn't be too worried about the cost of fuel. Can I have Exup's go now he doesn't want to try it? :lol

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2013, 09:13:33 pm »
Changing the tank size won't alter the fuel consumption - unless it makes it worse because it's carrying more weight! But I guess if I could afford a KTM I wouldn't be too worried about the cost of fuel. Can I have Exup's go now he doesn't want to try it? :lol

No!   :lol

Steven Wright

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 August 2013, 09:20:30 pm »

No!   :lol

................ :'(