Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:34 pm

Author Topic: Help please!! Hate riding on motorways.......  (Read 15622 times)

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Help please!! Hate riding on motorways.......
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2013, 10:32:41 am »
I rode over the M62 last night in crappy weather and it seems the ride quality is very dependent on wind direction. I was motoring along pretty well heading East, once I turned on to the M1 and headed North-ish I was getting a proper battering, got on to the A64 East bound and things settled down again.

To be honest last nights ride was less about worrying about wind batter and more about why hasn't anyone invented wipers for helmets yet? I use Nikwax visor proof but its ability to shift water decreases quite rapidly, so at the beginning of a ride a light misting will slide off easily when you turn your head, 2 hours later you've got to wait for a serious build up of liquid before it'll shift off, and you're buggered if you give in and wipe your visor as that just stops it working at all then. There's got to be a better solution!

Cheers,
Rob

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2013, 10:43:40 am »
There's got to be a better solution!
Yep, Mr. Sheen. Been using it for about 10 years. The Silicone in it beads the water off instantly, its cheap and makes your helmet smell nice ???
Some here swear by the v wipe, I'm gonna find one of them and give it a go.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2013, 11:15:49 am »
There's got to be a better solution!
Yep, Mr. Sheen. Been using it for about 10 years. The Silicone in it beads the water off instantly, its cheap and makes your helmet smell nice ???
Some here swear by the v wipe, I'm gonna find one of them and give it a go.

I've got a V-wipe somewhere but my current gloves (Held) have a built in blade on the left index finger, I'll give Mr Sheen a try.

Cheers,
Rob

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 August 2013, 06:01:56 pm »
Tall screen + Good visor (e.g. Shoei, NOT Arai) + a little Mr Sheen/Pledge + the correct angle = water droplets being blasted off your visor instantly and a quiet ride.

Almost impossible. Used to happen when I had a Shoei lid, DB screen and a lowered seat that came with the bike, shame I had to change it for a slightly higher, slightly less pile-inducing one. Now have an Arai which rain just loves to stick to so need gloves with wipers.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2013, 12:42:11 pm »
I am 5"8 and had a standard screen and got a double bubble one went out for a run with normal and quickly put on the bubble for a test ----- no difference. The only way to get out of the wind is to lay on the tank which makes you look stupid. Some combo of screen and your height can just change constant wind to a bufeting turbulance which is worse. I never used to wear earplugs till a few years ago and have to say I never go anywhere without them now as they make you riding far more relaxed without the stress of wind noise. As for wind blast alter your stance dig in hold on and grow your neck muscles
« Last Edit: 14 August 2013, 12:46:07 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 August 2013, 04:20:56 pm »
Tall screen + Good visor (e.g. Shoei, NOT Arai) + a little Mr Sheen/Pledge + the correct angle = water droplets being blasted off your visor instantly and a quiet ride.

Almost impossible. Used to happen when I had a Shoei lid, DB screen and a lowered seat that came with the bike, shame I had to change it for a slightly higher, slightly less pile-inducing one. Now have an Arai which rain just loves to stick to so need gloves with wipers.

Only just seen this comment, i'm glad you mentioned the difference between Shoei visors compared to Arai as i thought it was just me being unlucky.
My previous lid was a Shoei and water would just fall off with a tilt of the head, but i've had about 4 Arai visors now and they simply do not repel water at all.
I've tried every potion going and nothing has made things any better whatsoever, and without my Vee Wipe i would be almost riding blind, as if someone has sprayed Mr Sheen on the visor but not wiped it off.
I love the crash helmet but the visors really let them down in bad weather.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 August 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
I find it hard to beleive that a rider would go onto a motorway without earplugs. :eek

A tank bag is good , then you can lie on it and get behind the screen.

My Shoei is very very noisey,, if i lift my shoulders and move my head back then it all goes quiet,,its the wind coming over the shoulders i guess, or the wind in the bottom of the helmet
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 August 2013, 06:01:57 pm »
Shoei do a "curtain" as a separate accessory for the bottom of their helmets to help seal the wind out. Don't know if there's one for all models tho.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 August 2013, 06:17:54 pm »
Shoei do a "curtain" as a separate accessory for the bottom of their helmets to help seal the wind out. Don't know if there's one for all models tho.

There's always these things, i've not tried it personally as i don't ride motorways regularly.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=200821716710

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 August 2013, 07:13:38 pm »
I'd be amazed if that made any noticeable difference. Anybody tried one?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 August 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
Those skirt things wont work as the noise is not under there, it is around your head. Im gonna give slimwillys idea a go (lift my shoulders and move my head back) --- see if I can do it without falling off

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 August 2013, 08:24:48 pm »
The most common cause of a noisy helmet is poor fit, although I accept that this is not always the case. The more and larger vents etc you have on the outside of the helmet, the more likely they are to generate noise. Altering the positional relationship between helmet and air flow, either by changing the airflow (screen shape/size) or changing your riding position by one method or another, will obviously have a major effect. Even if your helmet is a good fit, sometimes changing to a different helmet (but still a good fit of course) can make all the difference. It's just a combination of factors that each of us has to strive to get right, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for all.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 August 2013, 07:43:46 pm »
I've got a Shoei XR1000 and sometimes I have to look at the rev counter when I'm on the motorway to make sure I'm not revving the nuts off it in a low gear, it's that quiet.

Caught myself a couple of times riding down the A2 in 4th,,,

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 August 2013, 08:44:14 pm »
Just had a little experiment, took my DB screen off and had a 20 mile blat around the lanes reaching inappropriate speeds where appropriate!

Has to be said it was noticeably better regarding wind noise and head bobble was less evident, although obviously my chest was getting more of a hit. The usual wind roar (with ear plugs rammed in) was replaced by a whoosh/whistle. My helmet is cack though (don't buy a Nolan N90 flip!!) so will be replaced at some stage with another piece of pure guess work which will hopefully be better ;)

Just grabbed a standard screen off fleabay so hopefully my motorway slogs will improve in the near future.

Cheers,
Rob

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 August 2013, 08:56:26 pm »
Just grabbed a standard screen off fleabay so hopefully my motorway slogs will improve in the near future.

(from my post above) I am 5"8 and had a standard screen and got a double bubble one went out for a run with normal and quickly put on the bubble for a test ----- no difference.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 August 2013, 07:11:31 am »
I was riding on the motorway a while back and the noise did my head on so much I decided to get off and risk being late. On the return journey I had my waterproofs on and when I took them off mid journey I noticed the wind noise come back. Turns out the collar on my jacket was stopping the wind rushing around the bottom of my helmet which was causing the worst of the noise.

Others have cited different reasons so I think it's horses for courses here mate, try different ear plugs, have a play around with your positioning, helmet angle and vents. You could try rolling up a neck tube so it fills the gap under your helmet.
thou shalt not kick

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 August 2013, 11:28:39 am »
Had same problem at first riding up m3 everyday ( so fucking boring) wind drove me mad , im 6 2" and have a standard screen .

Found after a while you do get used to it and some tunes on a low helps to relax and def keep away from vans / trucks as this just makes the noise worse.

Missed out on a second hand MRA touring screen on Ebay the other day , not sure if it will cure the wind,  but do like the option and look to be honest.

Having a sore back and arse is worse for me on long distance , need a cushion me thinks  :b [size=78%] [/size]

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 August 2013, 12:11:57 pm »
earplugs are the way to go.  I get mine from Lucy Dell Ear plugs online.  they do a selection pack for a tenner so you can work out which ones are best before you buy in bulk.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 August 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
I've just done the best part of 1000 miles in 2 days on the motorway - very very exhausting, and will not be doing again.

Tank bag was handy as it allowed my chest to rest on it hiding most of me behind the screen. It also helped my bum as I found it much more comfortable lent forward and low (like a foetal position) than sitting up straight like a GS rider. I did have ear plugs, but I always forget to put them in. I get on the motorway and remember, tell myself I need fuel soon anyway, so will survive until next services. Get to services, fill up, have a drink, get on the road...... damn, ear plugs! Rinse and repeat until I get to destination. When i do actually remember to put them in, they help a great deal.

I was finding 100 mile sittings on the Fazer were my limit, any more than that I needed a break for 10 minutes. Would love a comfier seat or seat addon, but my normal commute is 3 miles so don't want to spend a fortune on something I only need once in a blue moon.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 August 2013, 02:21:51 pm »
Have you tried something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-COMFORT-SEAT-PAD-NOT-GEL-TRIED-AND-TESTED-WORLD-WIDE/350856799661?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=022&category=35566&cmd=ViewItem

I've heard good things but haven't tried it myself. Its relatively cheap, especially compared to a new seat, so might be worth a shot

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28 August 2013, 06:53:01 pm »
I have not long passed my test and was petrified  when i took my bike on the M6.  I have clocked probably 400,000+ miles on the motorways in various cars but the sensation on 2 wheels is intense!

I take all the points on ear plugs and i'll try and adjust my body position next time i'm on.  I'm a 6ft 4 17st lump!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 August 2013, 07:57:27 pm »
Have you tried something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-COMFORT-SEAT-PAD-NOT-GEL-TRIED-AND-TESTED-WORLD-WIDE/350856799661?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=022&category=35566&cmd=ViewItem

I've heard good things but haven't tried it myself. Its relatively cheap, especially compared to a new seat, so might be worth a shot

I've got one but only use it for long distances, yes it helps with comfort, feels funny the first time you use it plus it raises the seat height a good inch or so which when you put your foot down in town and forget it can give you a little moment!
Some say...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 28 August 2013, 09:35:53 pm »
I'm a 6ft 4 17st lump
Wont that break the fazer !!
I am looking into the mold your own earplugs (pro guard) can anyone offer any kind of reviews for them, the blurb says 24db -- dosent seem enough, what are peoples experiance. I have stupid narrow cannels and not good for wax so dont want stuff rammed in me ear ole 

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28 August 2013, 09:54:31 pm »
Bah, the Fazer carried my fat 20st ass around for a while :P

Glad to be down to 14st 10lb but my aim is around the 12st mark - Fazers are remarkably versatile with weight load

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 28 August 2013, 10:43:31 pm »
Bah, the Fazer carried my fat 20st ass around for a while :P

Glad to be down to 14st 10lb but my aim is around the 12st mark - Fazers are remarkably versatile with weight load

Amen to that! It's pulling a trailer and all my crap - AND my fat arse too!  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice