Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:55 am

Author Topic: Oil Seal behind front sprocket?  (Read 961 times)

martin8180

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Oil Seal behind front sprocket?
« on: 26 July 2013, 01:38:42 am »
Any one know if there is an oil seal behind the front sprocket on a 1998 FZS 600?
The reason for asking is. I have been getting some noise from this area. (Checked the lock washer and nut, no movement.)
It sounds nothing like the tappet noise.
So I investigated and could not find any thing wrong under the sprocket engine casing.
However I did find what looked like 1/2 and oil seal about the same size as a crank shaft seal,
Along with loads of small stones and thick grease from the chain.
I have no idea where the oil seal bit came from.
I have checked the manual and the "AS Sutton" web site which gives you the diagrams and part to the FZS 600.
The noise is still there.
The only way I can explain the noise is like a metronome noise it happens mainly when I am cornering left or right.
But has also made a noise when moving through the gears at low revs, as I'm increasing the load to the engine.
The noise stays at the same tempo though no matter what speed the engine is going at.
I would have suspected the big ends but for the fact that the tempo never changes.
And its still there when I corner without any load to the engine.
The engine has just done 26k

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Seal behind front sprocket?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2013, 09:16:42 am »
The noise may just be the chain, have you checked it thoroughly for sticking links?
As for the oil seal, yes there is one... you can spot it in the manual on the "Transmission" pages. I'd expect the bike to need topping up occasionally if that had disintegrated, what's the oil consumption like?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2013, 10:06:07 am »
Metronome?
You need the Yamaha music division  :lol

Look at the lower part of your chain and slowly rotate your wheel on centre stand, all the links should look horizontal.
If you see any at an angle starting from bottom left aiming up to top right then you have sticky links, which you can feel with a pair of pliers, it won't move freely like the others.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

martin8180

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2013, 10:57:55 am »
Forgot to say.
Its not using any oil although it is due an oil change now.