Date: 01-06-24  Time: 07:23 am

Author Topic: First dumb questions  (Read 1366 times)

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
First dumb questions
« on: 25 July 2013, 10:31:07 am »

Hi all,

Well I'm approaching 300 miles on the bike since picking it up on Monday to I'm getting more of a feel for what I've let myself in for :lol  Just got some new biker dumb questions to ask, so here goes.
  • [/size]How far should the throttle grip turn? Mine is a bit less that 90 degrees which doesn't seem very much.
  • [/size]What gear are you usually in in town, say 25-30mph?
  • [/size]Do you set idle speed from cold (off choke though) or on a warm engine?
  • [/size]Tyre pressures, I'm probably very close to 90kg all clobbered up, the manual says to go from 2.5bar up to 2.9bar from 90kg to max weight. That seems like a bit of a large step given I'd be right on the threshold, so what pressures do the more 'burly' riders run?
[/size]Basically I think the carbs need syncing as I'm finding it hard to trundle along at low speed, sub 3k, particularly in first whilst feathering the clutch and dragging the rear brake the engine seems very put out by my arrogance at wanting to go slowly! This is being compounded by the potentially short turn of the grip, so I was wondering if a previous owner had bodged in a quick turn kit, but thought I'd ask before getting the tools out.

[/size]More noobieness to come I'm sure!

[/size]Cheers,
[/size]Rob
« Last Edit: 25 July 2013, 11:11:10 am by Robbus »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: First dumb questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2013, 10:51:12 am »
Hello Robbus, and welcome to the forum mate.

I'm not near my bike but i'd say 90 degrees sounds about normal for the throttle, unless someone corrects me. Quick action throttles barely need squeezing and you're off so i doubt it's one of them.

Gearing around town at 25-30mph, i've not even thought about before, it's more about the sound of the engine but at a guess 3rd or 4th gear?
Basically if you are revving the nuts off the bike you are in too low a gear, and if you are kangarooing then you are in too high a gear.
Works for me anyway.

Idle should be set at warm engine running temperature.

I'm about 100kg ( :rolleyes ) but also have a large topbox with framework on the bike so i stick with the 36psi front and 42psi rear in the tyres and it seems to handle well.

If it is a bit jittery around the 3k mark that does indicate to me that a carb balance might help.
After a carb balance you will find the throttle will be much easier to use in any gear and at any speed.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2013, 11:14:01 am »
Thanks, puts my mind at rest, will get the carbs looked at asap.

Cheers,
Rob

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2013, 12:34:28 pm »
Throttle sounds standard to me.  I had similar 'problems' with it when I first got mine, it seemed very sensitive.  Give it a few months and you'll be used to it and it won't trouble you.

0-30 I'll usually be in 1,2 or 3, depending on the traffic conditions, but most often 2nd.   Lots of traffic, stop/start I stay in 1. Not much traffic and 'cruising' 3.  My bike can handle 4-5 at those low speeds too, but is a bit more sluggish when I want to accelerate.   When I first started riding again, I found myself riding between 2-4K rpm most of the time, now it's 4-7K and it's a much better riding experience.

I set my pressures to 33-36, but I've not weighed myself, so don't know if that's right or not.  Guess I ought to check and get it right!

Mine is OK down to about 2K, so a carb balance should give you an improvement.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2013, 12:59:06 pm »
90 deg seems about right.

Tyre pressure - 2.25 front 2.5 rear is good enough (and im fairly we, erm, "solidly built")

1st gear usually through town

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2013, 09:12:11 pm »
Don't know about throttle movement, but 90 sounds feasible, although as mentioned by someone else, getting used to it plays a part - esp if you've come off a 125 or similar (which needs wringing), the throttle on a 600 is far more sensitive.

I'm a skinny git running tyres at 33F/36R.

Gears in town will vary depending on traffic and other factors; 1st / 2nd for heavy traffic or filtering, 3rd / 4th if it's clearer. I run late nights / early mornings (shifts) and I do sometimes use 5th / 6th even at 30 / 40mph (no traffic to block me, and higher gears keeps revs {noise} down a bit). It's finding a balance between the bike being able to pull, and having sufficient engine braking.

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2013, 09:26:20 am »
Thanks all! I think I'm getting the hang of things a bit more now at slower speeds, I've been using too low revs and not feathering the clutch enough in first which has been upsetting the bike, had a little play last night running around 3-3.5k in first with barely any clutch engagement and things were much more stable. As has been said, it's a case of adjusting my sensitivity to the big bike after my time on the 125. I'm getting there though, I might even make it past 8k soon  :lol

Cheers,
Rob

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2013, 10:18:19 pm »
Can't understand why people try and ride it under 3k, it's not a diesel