Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:37 pm

Author Topic: Filtering  (Read 7274 times)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Filtering
« on: 23 July 2013, 01:03:03 am »
Do you and how long did it take you to filter with confidence and what are your do's & don'ts

I like to get up front and put the bike and myself in front of any other vehicle to show my intention as I have been in a position when cage drivers will try and race me with little success but try and force me over. They do not like a bike progressing.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2013, 02:00:44 am »
Yeah  I filter. Took a few weeks from passing my test before I was confident, but it's actually pretty good fun and very useful during rush hour.

I do it slowly, with a great amount of caution and deliberately intense observation both forward and rear.

I try and stick to a "20 delta 15" rule I heard somewhere, which is maximum 20 miles an hour, and at most 15 miles an hour difference in speed to other traffic. That's fast enough for me.

There's a couple of junctions round my way that get proper jammed up every day at rush hour, I see others who presumably do them every day on way home from work filtering past stationery traffic at 50pmh upwards, a bit fast I think.

Important to watch the mirrors because when filtering you'll be changing position within the lane a lot, and you could easily fail to notice one of these guys had positioned themselves to the side of you.

Also watch out for gaps, as people will change lanes in to gaps without looking carefully for bikers filtering.

I tend not to filter past the police at the moment, I guess it should be fine but am never entirely sure.

Finally I try to filter considerately, I'm  happy to make progress when I can but try not to take the piss and so don't tend to position myself at the head of queues at junctions, but rather slip in somewhere a little back.

And I take care to thank them when they make room.

Andy

PS) Just to add that my main issue had been picking up punctures from the central reservation areas, the city centre roads round me are in a state, literally piles of screws and other metal junk.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2013, 02:02:50 am by andybesy »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2013, 02:22:23 am »
I've only really started filtering on the fazer ( only had it a couple of weeks). Much as above, I don't rip the hole out it, and when passing stationary traffic only do 15-20 MPH. Ill maybe go up to 30-35 if its just passing stationary traffic in one lane though (I.e. overtaking).

Still get the odd cagers kidding on they can't see you then closing up gaps on you on purpose. Twats.

Anyone moving over to give me a bit of room gets a nod or a wave too, only fair :)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2013, 03:38:35 am »
Andy only problems I have ever had is when I have not made it to the front as living in a city everyone is in a big rush. On the occasion I is talking about I was on a underpass and did not see a cyclist until I got round the apex. So I dropped back 3 car lengths to give the chap space and give other road users ability to see what was developing whilst the cyclist was at red lights. While stuck on the centre line on a duel carriageway cagers took it as a sign to push the limits and took it as a race although I only filter slowly and observe what is developing.
Reason I go up front is to show my expectation especially on multi lanes but this was on occasion I wished I had waited half mile back for all concerned. As a motorcycle I did think it better to hang back for the cyclist as this was on a quick round-a-bout onto the M1, A and B roads.

I is with you and mickvp on this one but with all the best intentions anticipating what was developing does not always seem to be obvious/predictable. For me as an old man slowly does it to expect the unexpected.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2013, 06:49:45 am »
Another one to watch is when passing large vehicles in stationary traffic. I always come to almost a standstill as I get to the front of them, and peer around to make sure there's no pedestrians about to step out. Give the traffic as much room as you can. If there's anywhere a car could suddenly head for (side turnings, parking spaces, gaps,) well look for those kinds of possibilities and slow accordingly.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2013, 07:18:23 am »
Travelling the M25 and you have to filter,did about 20 ,30 miles when leaving Brands races,get up to 70 ish inbetween cars as the speed of the cars goes from 30mph to 50 mph,up and down, when the cars get up to a reasonable speed slot into a lane.When they slow go back inbetween.Made easier by the fact that there are hundreds of bikes doing it so the car drivers are aware.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2013, 09:42:17 am »
Know exactly what is behind you and make sure all of it is accounted for. Mopeds in the city love to tuck in between your shoulder blades before doing a kamikaze style overtake on you. Also when you pass things you can't see past its best to assume something is about to shoot out of the gap.

Aside from that what the rest say. Personally I don't filter if I don't have to. Working in London means I do have to but if the traffic is going along at 25 in a 30 zone I just ride at 25.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2013, 09:49:02 am »
Might as well be driving a car if we didn't filter!
Some say...

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2013, 10:44:33 am »
Personally I don't filter if I don't have to. Working in London means I do have to but if the traffic is going along at 25 in a 30 zone I just ride at 25.

I am as well, some peiple are really intent on getting to the front of the queue and trying to force cars to part. If there isnt enough space to filter then I sit, simple. It make maybe a minute of difference at the other end.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2013, 10:57:26 am »
I filtered during my lessons, and once during my test. My instructor told me that if you don't filter, there's no advantage in riding a bike, so I was taught it pretty much straight away.

A few of the rules though:
Only filter through stationary or crawling traffic.
Headlight on and 1st gear only, to make as much noise as possible and attract attention.
No filtering over solid white lines.
No filtering over zig zag lines (i.e. approaching crossings etc.)
Don't go to the front of the queue, stay 1 car back at least.

Some of these are law and some good practice, but I can't remember which are which.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2013, 05:00:27 pm by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2013, 11:18:37 am »
If the traffic is at (or near) the speed limit, I wont filter but if its going considerably slower I will. As with others, nomore than 10-15 mph faster than the cars I am passing and I do try to divide cars rather than pass them in an empty lane. The thinking here is that they know the other car is there and unlikely to change lane whereas if there is an empty lane next to them they could easily pull over.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2013, 11:52:43 am »
Just do it.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2013, 11:53:24 am by Ben Diesel »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2013, 12:14:52 pm »
It's in Roadcraft!

4 - FILTERING SKILLS. 
MotorCycle RoadCraft, page 126, 139 and 140.

Used when applicable, to make progress, usually between, stationary/slow moving lanes of vehicles.

Speed to be about no more than 10 mph higher than other vehicles though not at speeds above 30 mph. 

If traffic is held up by, say, temporary traffic lights and a large safety margin (space) is possible then, perhaps, by judicious use of the offside of the road, for example, then higher speeds may be both possible and desirable,

(space + view = speed). 

But this is really overtaking stationary traffic rather than filtering. 

When filtering past large vehicles extra caution is required due to the greatly restricted view.

Increased potential danger arises when vehicles are stationary or very slow moving – cycles, pedestrians, animals or vehicles crossing are a distinct possibility.

When traffic is stopped, at traffic lights for example, look for traffic flow from the road crossing yours. 

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2013, 12:17:51 pm »
Side streets are deadly, keep a good eye out when filtering as you won't see the car cutting through the junction until you are on the bonnet

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2013, 12:44:04 pm »
I always filter , but with caution . Use M3 a lot and can que from winchester down at times . So have to filter or whats the point . Eyes everywhere :eek  tho as some try to have you off by cutting gap as soon as they see you . Always keep a steady pace and keep on moving .

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2013, 12:50:03 pm »
Filtering like a bastard every day up and down the A2 into central London in rush hour, good way to start the day

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2013, 01:31:13 pm »
Started doing it when I was on my 125, do it all the time if it avoids slowing down.  Can easily be 5+ miles if there's an accident or something up the A12 although doing it constantly gets tiring.  I tend to go through traffic that's doing up to about 60, much past that I don't bother.  Relative speed tends to be 10-20mph faster depending on conditions - fairly common up the A12 to get gaps big enough to drive a car through.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2013, 01:32:40 pm by Lawrence »

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2013, 02:13:31 pm »
Might as well be driving a car if we didn't filter!
Said I don't if I don't have to. On an average day I do 36 miles of solid filtering each way.
Another tip - try to stay between the two outer lanes on a motorway and try to avoid left of the leftmost lane in town. People just don't expect bikes on their inside when they are in the left lane.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
After riding into London everyday for last year, filtering is pretty much all I ever do. Whether it's 3 lanes of stationary traffic on A13 or weaving in and out around town fitting where ever I can. The fold back mirrors on the Fazer are great for squeezing through them really tight spots of grid lock.

Did knock out a couple of articles for my blog on filtering. One focused on slow moving motorways/dual carriageways and other for more round town type filtering. Have a gander, feedback much appreciated:-

Filtering on motorway and dual carriageways
Filtering in the city

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2013, 04:23:29 pm »
Do you and how long did it take you to filter with confidence and what are your do's & don'ts

Yes, I do it, I always have done, but that's because whilst I've only been riding a motorbike for about 6 years, I've been cycling for most of my life :-)

I like to get up front and put the bike and myself in front of any other vehicle to show my intention as I have been in a position when cage drivers will try and race me with little success but try and force me over. They do not like a bike progressing.

I wouldn't recommend that, it's aggressive and can lead to problems (as you've noticed). I prefer to filter up to the gap behind the first car stopped at traffic lights etc and then wait for the lights to change. If they've seen you and wait, then go ahead and give them a nice "thank you" wave, otherwise look for an opportunity to pass them a bit later.

Remember that, if it's on zig-zag lines, it's illegal to overtake ie have your front wheel cross the line of their front wheels, so don't do that.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

Yes, I do it, I always have done, but that's because whilst I've only been riding a motorbike for about 6 years, I've been cycling for most of my life :-)

I wouldn't recommend that, it's aggressive and can lead to problems (as you've noticed). I prefer to filter up to the gap behind the first car stopped at traffic lights etc and then wait for the lights to change. If they've seen you and wait, then go ahead and give them a nice "thank you" wave, otherwise look for an opportunity to pass them a bit later.

Remember that, if it's on zig-zag lines, it's illegal to overtake ie have your front wheel cross the line of their front wheels, so don't do that.

I regularly move to the first place at traffic lights. The logic is that motorcycle is a lot faster at start, so I won't slow people down - as if I wasn't there at all. If I stay behind the first car, I'm making a queue (AND skipping it :)   ).  So it is fairer to get there first, fly off (checking left and right for idiots going for "almost green still").

Of course, I do so when it is safe. Not always.

One question: how has this worked out for London so far?

"The advanced stop line (ASL) into the area designated for cyclists. London boroughs have recently started enforcing this!"

Is it a smart idea, or is it a pain in the neck. Asking because I would never stop in front of cars at a traffic light while on a bicycle. Would slow them down. Stay at the side, behind the first car, but never in front.  Does it make traffic move better, safer, or is it a bother?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 July 2013, 05:58:45 pm »
I'm a little more nervous about filtering since being taken out that way. It hasn't stopped me, but I'm real careful. If your job is riding in the city like yours, Stig, it's much more understandable as you'd never get the work done if you didn't. M25 is where I'm most nervous filtering! Still do it tho, just with care.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2013, 09:56:38 pm »
One question: how has this worked out for London so far?

"The advanced stop line (ASL) into the area designated for cyclists. London boroughs have recently started enforcing this!"

Is it a smart idea, or is it a pain in the neck. Asking because I would never stop in front of cars at a traffic light while on a bicycle. Would slow them down. Stay at the side, behind the first car, but never in front.  Does it make traffic move better, safer, or is it a bother?

TBH, all I've heard and seen thus far is PCO's handing out leaflets informing offenders (bikers and car drivers) they will in the future be fined for crossing the ASL. I don't necessarily agree with it, and it does make things very awkward. As mentioned above, the best option is to probably not aim for the front of the queue, but for one car back. If you can't get in front of the lead car, safely and without going to far forward, it's going to lead to some sticky situations being sat beside a lead vehicle when the lights go green.

Personally, I think they should cut the ASL cycle box in half, cyclists left half, motorcycles right half. I am glad their fining cars/vans etc, these should definitely not cross the ASL.

As it happens, about 50% of cyclists I see ignore the cycle box anyway and either balance as far forward as possible waiting to dive between to the opposing traffic, with no regard to the red light.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2013, 10:03:00 pm »
If they're going to fine motorists/motorcyclists for breaking the rules, then they need a major clampdown on cyclists who do. I know it's a generalisation, but cyclists seem to think they can do any bloody thing. Course it's always somebody else's fault if they get knocked off :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #24 on: 23 July 2013, 11:43:31 pm »
I regularly move to the first place at traffic lights. The logic is that motorcycle is a lot faster at start, so I won't slow people down - as if I wasn't there at all. If I stay behind the first car, I'm making a queue (AND skipping it :)   ).  So it is fairer to get there first, fly off (checking left and right for idiots going for "almost green still").

Of course, I do so when it is safe. Not always.

Fair enough. My post was based on IAM guidelines and avoids the idiots who think that Amber means "go" or problems such as you accidentally bogging down when you pull away and having someone run into you from behind.

I will, depending on circumstances "assertively position" myself in front of cars (eg if I'm turning right) or if there's traffic parked on the left just after the lights meaning that I'll have to try and merge into a moving stream of vehicles which are going faster because they've had time to accelerate from the lights.