Date: 14-06-24  Time: 14:53 pm

Author Topic: air box mods ?  (Read 2930 times)

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
air box mods ?
« on: 16 July 2013, 02:48:22 pm »
have replaced the standard filter with a K&N and this got me thinking......
are there any mods to the airbox that anyone has done to improve / increase airflow?
had a play with my cage airbox and it now works (breathes) much easier.
just wondering if it was possible to do anything with the fazer ?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: air box mods ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2013, 02:55:46 pm »
Bearing in mind that before you go hacking away at the airbox, the manufacturer has spent considerable time and effort to get the airflow right for the standard bike, so anything you do needs to be a proven improvement. What about the traditional route of pod filters (K&N, S&B) with a Dynojet kit?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2013, 02:59:32 pm »
I haven't known anyone to do anything to the FZS600 airbox - it's a pretty stable design and modifying won't give you many benefits.

You'd be better off looking in to what nick crisp has said and remove the airbox all together and fit pod / cone filters to each air carb inlet - I think someone on here threw up a picture of their setup but I have no idea who or what thread, sorry :(

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2013, 03:18:55 pm »
wasn't planning to start butchering the air box.
just had a thought pop into my head so i thought i'd ask  :)
like the idea of a filter for each carb though  :D

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2013, 03:33:54 pm »
Cone type filters will require rejetting the carbs to match the increased airflow. On some bikes you can get away with just going up several sizes on the main jets, fine tuning might require raising the needles a notch or two etc. Dynojet kits come with all the necessary bits and instructions and there are shops out there that can do it for you, but choose someone with experience of doing this if you want to get your set-up right.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2013, 03:41:08 pm »
I think its been mentioned on here before about the individual carb foam filters, and a couple have done it. I think they look and sound ace! Loads of throaty intake roar!
The Fazer airbox is apparently a good design from what I've heard. Its mostly bikes sub 10 years old where they've had to design in sound dampening characteristics, thus restrictions to flow and sapping a couple of horses.
My Tiger 1050 had a pretty large airbox restriction, and my fz1 airbox was crap until I modded them both. The intake roar went pretty loud on both!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2013, 10:31:34 pm »
I cut down the inside of the airbox 'cap' the part that holds down the airfilter in place. With a Pipercross filter in place I've notice no adverse effects, just more response (most likely due to the filter but hopefully its helped the engine breath also!).