Date: 16-06-24  Time: 09:43 am

Author Topic: Six bikers die in Hampshire !!  (Read 4670 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Six bikers die in Hampshire !!
« on: 16 July 2013, 06:53:30 am »
Two bikers died in separate collisions in the county on Friday night - bringing the total to six fatalities in one week.
A 24-year-old was killed when his Honda motorbike was in collision with a Skoda Fabia at Fair Oak, Hampshire.

On the same day, another 24-year-old rider was killed when his Honda motorbike was in collision with a Ford flat-bed truck near Stockbridge, Hants.

The other fatal collisions involving motorcycles over the past week took place in Southampton, Oakhanger, the New Forest and Alton.

Chief Inspector Andy Bottomley, who leads the Roads Policing Unit in Hampshire, said: 'Tragically, over the course of the last week, six motorcyclists have lost their life on our roads.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2363929/Scorched-earth-UK-Londons-landmarks-suffer-heatwave-temperatures-set-soar-90s--stay-July.html#ixzz2ZBWhYFuA

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I don't know whats going on but the sun is sure getting the bikes on the road, maybe the bikers who don't ride much or the ones who watched the MOTO GP. not good news at all,
Luckily i have not read of any in Wales which is where there are usually some fatalities.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2013, 06:58:04 am by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Six bikers die in Hampshire !!
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2013, 07:29:27 am »
Some nice roads round Hampshire so could be the riders who don't ride much or GP practicing & getting it wrong.

Could be that friday feeling of going home in the sun with your mind elsewhere, a few/majority could just be one of those things when the cager was not paying attention and also thinking about the weekend. Diesel spills come into it as does oil & mud from your friendly farmer.

One of the guys on the news looked about 50 and as if he'd been riding since he could walk. Literally could of been any of the above unfortunately.

Thoughts to their families.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2013, 07:36:08 am »
Some nice roads round Hampshire so could be the riders who don't ride much or GP practicing & getting it wrong.

Could be that friday feeling of going home in the sun with your mind elsewhere, a few/majority could just be one of those things when the cager was not paying attention and also thinking about the weekend. Diesel spills come into it as does oil & mud from your friendly farmer.

One of the guys on the news looked about 50 and as if he'd been riding since he could walk. Literally could of been any of the above unfortunately.

Thoughts to their families.

Tragic news, and you're right of course. Just goes to show there's so much that can easily take a biker out.
 :(
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
Being based in Hampshire (Portsmouth) obviously I've seen and heard more about these accidents, however there's no obvious common denominator, some involved the bike and no other vehicle, others were the bike and another vehicle, some were urban, others were rural etc.

It's hard to say, but this could just be one of those statistical anomalies that come up. Yes, more bikers are getting out because of the fine weather, however it's not an obvious correlation between the accidents and "fair weather bikers" since some were regular riders.

All I can say is that we all need to ride carefully and take care of our own safety :(

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
We are in Dorset and one of the things that happens at this time of year is tourists! they are preoccupied with their holidays, looking at the scenery, impatient hot kids in the back.
I am not saying that this is the situation in these really sad cases but we do have to be so much more vigilent  :rolleyes  Be safe out there peeps  :thumbup

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2013, 07:27:59 pm »
Thoughts go out to there families . I live in southampton and its not good news anywhere in country . Could of been 1 of a 100 reasons and as we all know tempting in the sun to give a fistfull , as well as cars etc to give it a bootfull .
Had bloody close one sunday when getting of M27 j8. Two girls in convertible last min came off motorway and side swiped me . MM from being off , too busy with roof down , music up and singing . One example of many as we know . Enjoy and take it easy out there  ;) [size=78%]  [/size]

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2013, 08:16:01 pm »
I only heard the news today. The New Forest one is only down the road from me. Tragic, I don't know why it happened, long straight road, no turnoffs, national speed limit. I was driving past it today and after thoughts of sadness for the rider I must admit my first thought was, I bet they knock the limit down to 40 and stick a speed camera in.
We shall see. It has already happened on two other roads near me, and it is getting to feel like whenever there is a fatality they lower the limit and bung a  speed camera in. What is wrong with this country, I feel like we are becoming more and more of a nanny state. I am sorry for the riders that lost their lives, 1 is too many, let alone 6 in one county in a week. I reckon its a combinatin of weather and statistical anomoly (at least I hope so) but at the end of the day riding is a risk we all take, and accidents are a part of living. I wish there would be no more, but alas there will be.  :(
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2013, 08:18:46 pm »
It sure is sad,

it sure is rather odd,,six!!!,,

Just keep your peepers open folks,,,,happy riding :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2013, 08:47:15 pm »
you should not jump to any conclusions....but in this weather , what is already a shite standard of alertness of yer typical car driver is challenged further by the heat. Add in impatience and facebook = recipe for disaster eh ?

my other comment would be that only 2 wks ago I was a bit shocked  to see dozens of bikes in mid wales on a sunday ...many many with pillions, almost all in a state of very poor protective clothing. This sort of weather does bring the bike " grockles" out on the road, many of whom are totally unprepared for what is happening. Not necessarily what has happened here of course, but 2 + 2 often does = 4.

feckin sad all the same.... :\

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2013, 12:02:48 pm »
It's not good to hear this, I live in Alton where there is a lot of "Biker roads" & meets in the area,both the Oakhanger & Alton crashes happened on the same night,i have been told what happened with the Oakhanger accident by 3 people who saw it happen! I can't comment about it because it's still being investigated from what i understand? The best roads around this area are the A339,A32 & A272 all of which have had speed restriction put on them in places.

Stay Safe

Ray

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2013, 08:52:48 pm »
The best roads around this area are the A339,A32 & A272 all of which have had speed restriction put on them in places.

Someone I know was talking to one of the Hampshire motorcycle coppers who told him that they weren't going to bother enforcing the 50 limit from West Meon up to Loomies :)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2013, 10:09:39 pm »
The best roads around this area are the A339,A32 & A272 all of which have had speed restriction put on them in places.

Someone I know was talking to one of the Hampshire motorcycle coppers who told him that they weren't going to bother enforcing the 50 limit from West Meon up to Loomies :)

They want your money then! I was on the 272 on the way to Loomies last Wednesday, there was a police camera van sitting just at the exit of one of the villages, nobbling people coming back from Loomies. Gone later in the evening, but still a sign they want to catch you.
The Deef's apprentice

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2013, 12:22:26 am »
They want your money then! I was on the 272 on the way to Loomies last Wednesday, there was a police camera van sitting just at the exit of one of the villages, nobbling people coming back from Loomies. Gone later in the evening, but still a sign they want to catch you.

Was that the one at Corhampton? See http://goo.gl/maps/LjMXI

It sits in the layby on the left just after the 30 limit sign (the dark green spot in the light green hedge) so if you're doing over 30 when you pass the sign they get you.

That's not the section I'm talking about, though. The one I'm referring to is the new 50 limit which runs right outside Loomies from the lights on the A32 and A272 junction, going southbound to to the 30 limit at West Meon.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2013, 07:46:12 am »
Seen all this before. They do it outside the Halfway House on the London-Southend road. You get all the wheelie merchants and silly buggers doing more and more extreme things, showing off outside a bike meet, then there are accidents and fatalities - it's only to be expected the police would want to calm things down. Also, saw it at (can't remember the name of the pub now) place on the Ongar road. Same thing, wheelies and showing off getting more extreme until someone was killed. That place got too much attention then, and is now closed down. And that meet had been going on for years, hosting an annual bike show/rally too.