Date: 17-06-24  Time: 16:22 pm

Author Topic: What Else Would You Have?  (Read 17728 times)

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
Re: What Else Would You Have?
« Reply #50 on: 16 July 2013, 06:12:52 pm »
Recently found myself in this situation. My fazer is an ongoing project so I fancied a bike on the road for this weather. My commute is 8 miles of backroads, I am surrounded by fields and potholed roads and there are some nice sandy byways not far from me.... so I went out and bought a new crf250l!

It ticked all the boxes... light, fun, 90mpg, and 8k service intervals.not as highly strung as a mx based road bike, more of a dual sport. Probably the best bike I have owned overall, sure, no good for motorways (although it will do 90), but perfect for my needs and always gives me a big grin.

Me being me though, in its 700 miles of life it has been treated to a full yoshi system, 13/43 sprockets, airbox mods, braided hoses and an electronic jet kit!

What im saying is, there is probably no 'perfect' off the shelf bike. You have to take the best bike for your needs and make it your own.... now, big bore kit anyone? Lol

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 16 July 2013, 06:15:59 pm »
a full yoshi system
Finally, Super Mario enters conversation  :lol
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 July 2013, 06:27:35 pm »
Diaval or ZX1000SX If i win the lottery  :lol but then again if i do win i can have both  ;)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 July 2013, 06:39:17 pm »
Always wanted  Ducati Monster. Diavel looks very nice but if I was spending my money it would probably be a Multistrada..

That being said the rumours of a naked BMW S1000RR would be worth a look. All that BHP in a nicer riding position for the more ample gentlemen  :lol
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 July 2013, 06:42:15 pm »
BMW F800GT or a Versys

everyday usable bikes.  arrghh I want to shopping now..
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

peterjca

« Reply #55 on: 16 July 2013, 06:44:23 pm »
I'm lucky to have built up a pot of money, enough to clear off the mortgage (only got 2 years to run, so not much saving by early payoff). I have a strong urge to splash out on something bikey next Spring.

Current FZ1 could do with some TLC, suspension revamp, and possibly a bit of bling. All my bike gear needs renewing.

Thinking of another bike such as a Speed Triple (too similar to FZ1 I suspect) or Street Triple or perhaps something different such as a Tiger or KTM. Don't particularly want a sportsbike again other than as a "toy". Never ridden an adventure-type bike or supermoto. Tempted by something fun, usable, powerful and different for everyday use. Any suggestions?

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16 July 2013, 08:31:19 pm »
Supermoto every time! Had 'adventure' bikes and they aint that adventurous really, unless you want to keep dropping them in the sand and gravel. Too top heavy to pick up again. Go for a dual sport or supermoto for fun factor!

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 July 2013, 09:54:34 pm »
Blackbird - if I could find a mint example.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 16 July 2013, 10:03:32 pm »
If there was a bike that was better than all others...................there would be only one bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 16 July 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
And that would be an FZS1000 gen 1.  :D

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 16 July 2013, 10:27:27 pm »
I would go for the motoguzzi v7 café racer , as most of the time I use the bike for sunday bimbles .

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 16 July 2013, 11:50:05 pm »
Hmmmmmm..... I already have a 1200RT as well as my FZS1000.  The RT replaced my VFR800 as I will now be touring two-up instead of solo.  (Off to Spain next week - wohoooo!)
If the Fazer had to go I would probably get a naked Triumph.  The Speed Triple would be an obvious choice but I do have a soft spot for the Bonneville.  The problem with the Bonnie, lovely though it is, is that it might not hit the spot in the performance stakes.  Right then, Speed Triple it would be :-)       

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 17 July 2013, 06:43:38 am »
If the Fazer had to go I would probably get a naked Triumph.  The Speed Triple would be an obvious choice but I do have a soft spot for the Bonneville.  The problem with the Bonnie, lovely though it is, is that it might not hit the spot in the performance stakes.  Right then, Speed Triple it would be :-)     

Word for word what I was thinking, but replace Bonneville with Thunderbird. It's mainly cruisers that got me into biking in the first place. That is, until my direct access course showed me how well Bandits can handle.  :D

I absolutely love the new Yamaha XV950, but 52bhp, WTF? Why is it that cruisers are so underpowered for their size?

Anyway, I was originally looking at Speed Fours until I saw my Fazer at a dealers (best decision ever!), so if I couldn't have a Fazer and money wasn't a problem, then I'd go for a new Speed Triple R.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 17 July 2013, 07:14:20 am »
I'd love the XTZ660 Tenere.

Yellowwolf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CBR 954RR
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 17 July 2013, 10:16:51 am »
Valentino's M1
:))

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 17 July 2013, 10:19:30 am »

"Word for word what I was thinking, but replace Bonneville with Thunderbird. It's mainly cruisers that got me into biking in the first place. That is, until my direct access course showed me how well Bandits can handle.  :D  "

That's an interesting point. I wonder how many of us would change our minds if we all got to try lots of different bikes? I had a big off on an FZR1000 EXUP in 1991, and since have not been able to ride anything with clip-on style bars, so I've missed all the R1s, R6s, most of the GSXRs, ZXRs etc so I know my path through motorcycling may have been quite different if the accident hadn't happened. I've been offered test rides of a couple of new Triumphs recently (even tho' I made it quite clear I wasn't in a position to buy anything, nice of the fella) and I wonder if it'll change any perspective on what I like or don't like?

« Last Edit: 17 July 2013, 10:23:14 am by nick crisp »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: 17 July 2013, 12:33:51 pm »
A younger wife and a trail type bike.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 17 July 2013, 01:11:25 pm »
The FZS600 suits me so well that I'd only want to replace it with something that is a good match for it's performance, range, comfort etc. The odd thing is Yamaha now have a bit of a hole in their line-up. The Diversion is probably the closest offering, but with only 77 bhp it'll seem tame by comparison. The R6 on the other hand, is a bit extreme for everyday use and the riding position would probably kill my back.
Kawasaki's offerings have a similar gap between the ER6/Versys and the ZX6R, plus I'm quite prejudiced against the marque since I've experienced a lot of reliability issues with them.
Suzuki have the SV650 which admittedly is down on power compared with the Fazer but is so damn pretty I could live with it. The BMW F800 is another on the shortlist, but Honda's CBR600F is probably the closest match to the Fazer and I guess is the one I'd have to go for.
I don't think I'd love it as much though.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #68 on: 17 July 2013, 02:25:14 pm »
The closest to the FZS600 that Honda do currently is the CBF1000. Just like the FZS to ride but with more torque.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 17 July 2013, 02:59:56 pm »
The FZS600 suits me so well that I'd only want to replace it with something that is a good match for it's performance, range, comfort etc. The odd thing is Yamaha now have a bit of a hole in their line-up. The Diversion is probably the closest offering, but with only 77 bhp it'll seem tame by comparison. The R6 on the other hand, is a bit extreme for everyday use and the riding position would probably kill my back.
Kawasaki's offerings have a similar gap between the ER6/Versys and the ZX6R, plus I'm quite prejudiced against the marque since I've experienced a lot of reliability issues with them.
Suzuki have the SV650 which admittedly is down on power compared with the Fazer but is so damn pretty I could live with it. The BMW F800 is another on the shortlist, but Honda's CBR600F is probably the closest match to the Fazer and I guess is the one I'd have to go for.

FZ8?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 17 July 2013, 03:44:47 pm »

FZ8?
Actually, yes. You're right, it is probably the closest thing to an FZS600 in the current lineup.
I'd sort of discounted it because it's a bit heavier and the first impression was that it's hideous, though the half faired version isn't an eyesore, at least from the front (I still don't like the tail stalk that seems to be the new fashion). It's also in a higher tax and insurance bands, overpriced to begin with... and, for the purposes of this thread, disqualified because it bears the Fazer name.  :lol

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 17 July 2013, 04:07:26 pm »
As a practical, everyday bike discounting the Fazers, it'd probably be Suzuki GSX650F in bronze / black, an older Hornet 600 (2002-ish) or a Kwak Z750 (always wanted one for some strange reason).

Was originally toying with buying the GSX650F when I chanced upon an '03 plate Fazer, and (in the same dealer) my current '58 reg FZ6 S2.

Liroka

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 17 July 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
I know you said only one but I really can't decide between the Z1000 & Versys.  :D
Google Cranium: The Browser For Your Brain.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 17 July 2013, 05:07:42 pm »
KTM - 1190 Adventure
Suzuki GSX 1400 or Yamaha XJR1300
KLX 650r, XR 650r or MZ Baghira
A Buell XB12 lightning, although unlikely I would fit on it if I find the Fazer uncomfortable.

If I HAD to pick one of those, probably the KTM as it's the best mix of my choices. Although theres also the 990 SM...... :evil

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 17 July 2013, 07:12:28 pm »
  would you go sports/sports-tourer, adventure style, all-rounder?

Yes, I'd go for a bike with all of those. If money was no object in terms of purchase price/servicing/fuel, I'd go for a Ducati MST1200.
Sports from the engine and suspension, sport-tourer as it feels comfy enough once he suspension has been backed of a bit, adventure style - I quick like the upright position and relaxed seat/peg positioning for knees, and its a good all rounder. Its light as well. I'd buy one tomorrow if I wasn't bothered about the cost.