Date: 23-06-24  Time: 20:51 pm

Author Topic: Givi kits  (Read 3550 times)

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Givi kits
« on: 09 July 2013, 07:51:03 am »
This has probably already been covered but searching hasn't revealed anything...

I have a givi monolock rack fitted to my fzs600, the question is could a wingrack be adjusted to use the fitting kit for the top box case?

Or is there an alternative such as a pannier only kit? I've got soft luggage already but wanted to look at the hard luggage option for extra security etc when we go touring at the end of this year

Also, what's the practicality of a wingrack fully loaded with a pillion? I've heard mixed thoughts. It would need to be relatively comfy to take the mrs 2000 miles (I've already told her we can't get an intercom.......!!!)

garyb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Givi kits
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2013, 10:53:57 am »
Both the Givi plates (M3 or M5) will bolt on to either a wingrack or a monorack.

Wingrack - I had the wingrack 2 (i.e. the one that takes the side panniers also) on my blackbird with the Givi E360N Monokey top box and M3 plate fitted, I later got a Givi450 Simply top box with the M5 plate and it just bolted on to the top of the wingrack in the same holes as the M3 plate was fitted.

Mono rack - My fazer came with a monorack fitted with an M5 plate, so I removed this and fitted my M3 plate - 2 bolts and it was done, see photo of M3 fitted below.  :)

Hope this is of some help - Gar

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2013, 09:13:03 pm »
Brill, I think so.

Did the wingrack fit onto the fazer mounting rack as well? Like you, I currently have the givi450, but also wondered if the mounting arms that mount the plate can also mount the wingrack, or whether the arms that hold the wingrack on are completely different.

Givi basically have a license to print money with their gear!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
Beware you don't overload the boxes with just the standard arms, they will crack and split, mine did with just an a4 printer paper box in, my racks since have all been custom made round a mates workshop and i swear the bike could be lifted by the rack- several weight bearing points instead of just the 2!
Some say...

garyb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2013, 09:28:20 pm »
The wing rack itself is compatible with most bikes but you will need to get the bike specific mounting kit for the fazer or the universal mounting kit givi sell, may also be suitable.

To my knowledge the mounts for the mono rack and the wing rack are not comparable or interchangeable with each other.

Also just to note that all Kappa items are the same fitment, Kappa are owned by Givi but are a lot cheaper to buy.

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2013, 08:50:58 pm »
Does anyone have a picture of the wingrack fitting kit which shows the attachment points?

A wingrack just went on eBay for over £100 for the fzs600, if I could adapt my existing one it could save some money.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2013, 11:36:25 am »
The 3rd picture down on my R6 shock installation thread shows most of the wingrack2 & the fitting kit in position.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8167.0.html

It forms part of & replaces the pillion grab rail, the side plates attach under the pillion footrest hangers & there's a bar under the numberplate (just visible) to strengthen the setup

I'm not sure if Givi sell the FZS600 wingrack fitting kit anymore, & a monorack's arms won't be anywhere near strong enough to support two side boxes

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2013, 06:09:24 pm »
Ahh brill thanks for that.

It doesn't seem as though Givi or Kappa make the fitting kits anymore, and it seems they are few and far between on theifbay, hence trying to adapt what i've got!

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2013, 06:36:54 pm »
I had massive difficulty sourcing a wingrack fitting kit for my fzs600 - that was nearly 4 years ago too. In end bought whole rack + kit second hand from another FoCCer

I didn't have any problems overloading it quite a bit with 21 litre panniers and 44 litre topbox for those 3 years I had it

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2013, 06:11:42 pm »
Brill, i'll just have to keep my eyes peeled then.

Such a shame GIVI have stopped support for them, particularly as it's such a popular bike!