Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:13 pm

Author Topic: next stage from scooter  (Read 6222 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
next stage from scooter
« on: 19 June 2013, 07:23:36 am »
I haven't looked into it yet but my partner has been riding on a cbt license for a few years now she's over 30  :eek I want her to go from the twist and go to manual gears what does she need now to go forward
Cheers

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: next stage from scooter
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2013, 07:48:51 am »
Does she intend to carry on riding 0n "L" plates renewing her CBT every 2 years or go for her full licence?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2013, 08:33:00 am »
Dunno if its changed but when I did my cbt if you did it on a scooter then you're restricted to twist and go's whereas if you did it on a geared bike then you can ride both, surely the first thing would be to do the cbt on a geared bike and see how she gets on!?
I've convinced a few friends who have only ever driven a car to do their cbt by telling them to think of it as a fun day out, a bit like going to Thorpe park or doing a bungee jump kinda thing, something fun to do for £100, admittedly non have gone on to do their full license (yet) but its a good way of convincing people to give bikes a go!
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2013, 08:35:54 am »
Yep, if you DoD the CBT on a ped, then that's all you can ride. It also needs renewing every 2 years.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2013, 09:02:55 am »
Phoned cbt tester up and he says shouldn't be a problem just go. In for a couple of hours and get use to a geared bike  :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2013, 02:05:50 pm »
mmmmmmmm...."next stage from scooter".......how about a pair of roller skates  :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2013, 03:41:16 pm »
What does she need to go forward?
1st gear and a few revs is always a good start.

God I hate that phrase... 'going foward'... how many times do I hear those words dribbling from my managers mouth every day?

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2013, 02:16:11 pm »
Yep, if you DoD the CBT on a ped, then that's all you can ride. It also needs renewing every 2 years.

I thought once you've done a cbt it covers you for any learner category for 2 years i.e. do it on a moped at 16 and you don't have to do another to ride a geared 125 at 17?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2013, 08:17:52 pm »

I thought once you've done a cbt it covers you for any learner category for 2 years i.e. do it on a moped at 16 and you don't have to do another to ride a geared 125 at 17?
Not as far as I know. It's like doing an auto only car test, all you can drive is an auto.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2013, 11:30:28 pm »

Yes and no. I did my CBT at 16 on a 1979 Honda CB50. As it was a geared bike, I could step up to a larger 125cc at 17 without redoing it. If you do it on a 50cc scooter you can step up to a 125cc scooter without doing it, but if you want a geared bike, you will need to take it again. As said, its like passing your test on an auto, you can't then ride a manual :)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2013, 08:19:39 am »
CBT is CBT regardless of what you take it on. It is about basic road sense, nothing more really.

As others have said, a geared 125 would be my preference as the next step but have a think about a DAS course and step up to something like an ER5 or CB500.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2013, 12:10:45 am »
Just thought I'd give ya a new update as we've got a new bike now not scooter a little Suzuki en125 so got the bike today and took are lass up to a local private carpark to learn her to use gears and low and behold police turn up showed them my licence as I was riding the bike at the time which they saw an bugger me they were asking my partner for het licence ,insurance not me ,they gave us a producer so I've got to go out of my way and waste time to go into police station ,im fully comp on my bike so will be 3rd party on hers so everything will be fine I hope when I print off my policy ,oh they still haven't paid the insurance for the last bike  :'(

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2013, 12:52:13 am »
There is a big difference in a private car park and private land, a private car park is often still a public place. You dont need a license, insurance, mot etc to ride/drive on private land (with permission). Im assuming as it was you on the bike and you showed them your license that you have to produce your insurance?  If the car park was a public place, asking you to produce your insurance is fair enough as you could hit another vehicle / person etc.

Also wondering, if you were there teaching your `lass` how to use the gears, Im guessing she hasnt done her CBT, therefore, are you sure the bike has insurance??
« Last Edit: 31 July 2013, 01:03:29 am by Doddsie »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2013, 01:09:00 am »
he said in the start of the thread. she did the CBT on a scooter, and so will not be familiar wiht a geared bike - although she does possess a CBT :)

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2013, 01:17:23 am »
he said in the start of the thread. she did the CBT on a scooter, and so will not be familiar wiht a geared bike - although she does possess a CBT :)

I know, but you said yourself, `if you pass on a scooter and want to move onto a geared bike you have to retake your CBT`????

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2013, 01:24:13 am »
that was my understanding yes, but the reply directly after mines states otherwise, so maybe I was wrong?

and apparently I was:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110606083552AAe70MU

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 July 2013, 01:51:12 am »
Thats fair enough then. All seems to be in order so producing the documents shouldnt be a problem.  :)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2013, 10:08:54 am »
So definitely insured even thou 3rd party  :D

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2013, 08:59:26 pm »
nope definatly not insured 3rd party unless the owner has it insured too :eek

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2013, 09:10:09 pm »
Not so sure on that, my 1000 policy states any other bike with consent and owner has it insured.

But my 600 insurance states any other bike with consent of owner. No where in policy book dose it say the bike needs to be insured.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2013, 09:22:12 pm »
Fully comp will only cover you 3rd party on another vehicle as long as that vehicle is insured!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2013, 10:15:52 pm »
To be on the road legally the vehicle needs its own registered insurance, yes, ok, you're insurance lets you ride other bikes 3rd party cover but it still needs its own cover!
Some say...

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2013, 10:37:46 pm »

Thats not the case bud, Once you have done your CBT you can ride auto or geared upto a 125, which like you say needs to be renewed every two years..

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2013, 07:00:51 pm »
this is what my comprehensive insurance says for my tiger 1050
[/size]Mr David Wildman - The insured, who may also drive for Third Party cover a motorcycle not belonging to him and not hired to him

[/size]under a hire purchase agreement in respect of which no Insurance is afforded to him under any other Insurance applying to such motorcycle [/font]so does this mean im insured if theres no insurance on the other bike??

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2013, 07:28:08 pm »

Thats not the case bud, Once you have done your CBT you can ride auto or geared upto a 125, which like you say needs to be renewed every two years..
Yeah I got it mixed up, its the full test where auto gearboxes apply. It was the case when I first started riding, it must have changed since then ::)