34 (25%)
Bridgestone BT023
34 (25%)
Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3
34 (25%)
Any other option
34 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Yet another tyres thread  (Read 13841 times)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Yet another tyres thread
« on: 12 June 2013, 12:56:01 pm »
Right, sorry, here's yet another tyre thread (the forum lives off these, doesn't it)

Here's the situation: I do a lot of touring miles, but do like flinging it about too - they don't call me Merv the Swerve for nothing! I currently run Maxxis Supermaxx, and to be quite honest, I'm sick of them. The rear has only done about 6000 miles, and they're much too pedestrian for my taste. What I'm after is a set of tyres that won't cost the earth but will handle pretty well. Budget is a bit of an issue though, so will have to scour the internet.

In a nutshell, what I'm after is:

--> Decent durability
--> Sporty enough to scrape footrests without worrying I'm about to lose the back end

All I really know is I sure as hell don't want to go back to the Maxxis! Waay too boring for my taste. Oh, and for any couriers, paupers etc, I'll put up my current front tyre when I change sets. It's only about half worn (if that), no punctures, no nasty gouges, and quite well scrubbed.  ;)
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another tyres thread
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2013, 01:02:48 pm »
Did you like the feel of mine when you rode it? (Bar the ridiculously bad engine)

If so, I have BT023's at the moment - tempted on trying PR3 or S20 as my next set but I shall see how funds are at the time

(Nothing wrong with my BT023's but its the only tyre I've ever tried apart from some bad Maxxis ones)

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2013, 01:06:26 pm »
Did you like the feel of mine when you rode it? (Bar the ridiculously bad engine)

If so, I have BT023's at the moment - tempted on trying PR3 or S20 as my next set but I shall see how funds are at the time

(Nothing wrong with my BT023's but its the only tyre I've ever tried apart from some bad Maxxis ones)

I quite liked the ride, but I never really thrashed yours, no sharp conering or good angles. I'm curious how well they perform towards the edge of the envelope: town riding is fine on the Maxxis (bar the lousy longevity), but the minute you get to twistys, you're cursing how badly they handle.
The Deef's apprentice

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2013, 01:19:14 pm »
Not in your option list but I believe Metzeler Z6 sports-touring tyres are meant to be very good and come in FZS600 front tyre size. I intend to try them next

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2013, 01:49:46 pm »
Metezlers M5 are the best I have ever used especially in the grip to the edge of the tyre and handling. PR3 are a close second. What I really like about the metezlers is thir ability to hold the line even when brakeing

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2013, 01:57:01 pm »
Metezlers M5 are the best I have ever used especially in the grip to the edge of the tyre and handling. PR3 are a close second. What I really like about the metezlers is thir ability to hold the line even when brakeing
Probably get an M5 front next based on your opinion, just wearing out an old M1 now.
I'm still happy with the BT021 rear so i think i'll stick with that for as long as i can, it suits my riding just fine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2013, 02:32:29 pm »
I set my fastest trackday time with the M1 and the only tyre that I ever had the same feeling with was the M5. I have PR3 on at present but going back to the M5swhen they wear out.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2013, 03:00:32 pm »
I set my fastest trackday time with the M1 and the only tyre that I ever had the same feeling with was the M5. I have PR3 on at present but going back to the M5swhen they wear out.
I bought 2 x M1's from M&P in their clearance sale for £35 each, and i don't s'pose i'll find any more now, so the M5 makes sense.  :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2013, 03:57:28 pm »
I'm going to support the maxxis, as I've had a few sets of them, and been off the edge of each rear easily in the dry (i ride like a wuss in the wet). I do mostly commuting miles on the boxeye, but there definately ain't no chicken strips on them! My ride to work is 20 miles each way over a good set of twisties.
I'm no cornering god, but they feel no different to the bt021's that were on it before I got it, or the various other brands and styles I've used on fazers over the last ten years of ownership. I've chased bigger bikes on these tyres, my bro-in-law has ridden it, and he rides fairly hard. He said it felt fine to him.
I think a lot of the tyre choice is advert driven, and tbh most of us 'average' riders wouldn't know the difference between an expensive brand and a maxxis if side by side tests were done without knowing what they are.

I think its all in yer head, just like people who use posh sports tyres for the road, it doesn't make you any better/faster, just costs you more money!

Ill put the soap box away now and take my beating. ::)
« Last Edit: 12 June 2013, 04:04:43 pm by stevierst »
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2013, 04:26:56 pm »
The main priority for me is that they have to be good in the wet, if they are then there shouldn't really be any issues in dry weather.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2013, 05:03:20 pm »

I think a lot of the tyre choice is advert driven, and tbh most of us 'average' riders wouldn't know the difference between an expensive brand and a maxxis if side by side tests were done without knowing what they are.

I think its all in yer head, just like people who use posh sports tyres for the road, it doesn't make you any better/faster, just costs you more money!

Ill put the soap box away now and take my beating. : :)

I don't think many Gen 1 riders would go back to the standard fit MEZ3s or 4s or whatever they were. Those things wouldn't grip in the dry! I'm not the world's fastest rider, but I absolutely, definitely notice the difference between different sets of tyres. I'm on PR2s at the moment because they give me confidence in the wet, as well as being OK in the dry.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
I need new tyres soon and am going to go for Metzeler z8 interacts. Have the best reviews that I found and cost the same as all the other bridgestone, michelin etc. Current tyre is dunlop sportmax qualifier, not too bad in the dry but rear is done at 5000 and not great in the wet. My dad has avon storm 2 on his sv650 and really likes them, they are wearing very well after 6k miles too.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2013, 07:27:32 pm »
I'm going to support the maxxis, as I've had a few sets of them, and been off the edge of each rear easily in the dry (i ride like a wuss in the wet). I do mostly commuting miles on the boxeye, but there definately ain't no chicken strips on them! My ride to work is 20 miles each way over a good set of twisties.
I'm no cornering god, but they feel no different to the bt021's that were on it before I got it, or the various other brands and styles I've used on fazers over the last ten years of ownership. I've chased bigger bikes on these tyres, my bro-in-law has ridden it, and he rides fairly hard. He said it felt fine to him.

My problem - I ride it hard round corners, and as you say, I run out of tyre on the rear! I'd like something that gives me the ability to go a bit further.
The Deef's apprentice

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2013, 09:29:47 pm »
If you ride the coners hard and come on the throttle early on the way out of the corner the PR3s will wear out the sides first you will end up changing the rear with plenty thread on the centre and nothing on the sides. Speaking from experience. Not a trait I particularly like in a road tyre.
The M5 wore all round better, but wore the centre out first with the sides close behind, had sharper handling and were less inclined to sit the bike up when braking hard turning into the corners and trailing the front through the corner.  It was great fun outbraking a Gsxr 1000 and R1 into corners on a bike run with 2 up a few years ago with the confidence the M5s gave. :lol They were destroying me on the straights :'(
Would love to know how some foccers get more than 5000 miles out of any brand of rear tyre.  :eek  I have worn out Metezler M1 rears in 2000 miles . My best ever was 6000 miles on a PR3, but that included a trip to  France and Spain which helped equalise the wear on the left and right sides. My tuppence worth

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2013, 09:42:09 pm »
If you ride the coners hard and come on the throttle early on the way out of the corner the PR3s will wear out the sides first you will end up changing the rear with plenty thread on the centre and nothing on the sides. Speaking from experience. Not a trait I particularly like in a road tyre.
The M5 wore all round better, but wore the centre out first with the sides close behind, had sharper handling and were less inclined to sit the bike up when braking hard turning into the corners and trailing the front through the corner.  It was great fun outbraking a Gsxr 1000 and R1 into corners on a bike run with 2 up a few years ago with the confidence the M5s gave. :lol They were destroying me on the straights :'(
Would love to know how some foccers get more than 5000 miles out of any brand of rear tyre.  :eek  I have worn out Metezler M1 rears in 2000 miles . My best ever was 6000 miles on a PR3, but that included a trip to  France and Spain which helped equalise the wear on the left and right sides. My tuppence worth

M5s or PR3s? Spoilt for choice now!  :lol

As for side wear, I do many motorway miles too, so not too worried about the sides wearing much faster than the centre. I'd just like a tyre that's easier to tip in to a corner than the Maxxis. They're not responsive enough for me.

Agreed on the mileage though. My front can probably do another 4000 miles, no probs, but my rear sure as hell can't!
The Deef's apprentice

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2013, 10:24:47 pm »
Really? I thought 5000 miles was quite poor, like a bit less than average? Maybe I have too high expectations then, I've heard claims of the pr2/3, bt023 z8 etc all getting great mileage as well as having great performance wet and dry, people claiming around 8-10k miles. I've only had these dunlops on mine so don't actually know what other tyres wear and grip like yet.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2013, 10:29:14 pm »
got this mail through about "special offers" on Maxxis tyres - not sure if the prices are good though :

http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&searchStr=maxxis&x=-1072&y=-58
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2013, 10:45:19 pm »
got this mail through about "special offers" on Maxxis tyres - not sure if the prices are good though :

http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&searchStr=maxxis&x=-1072&y=-58

I paid about that last time. Regretted it soon after.

What do people say about the Pirellis? I had to Pirellis to my 125, and loved them! I'd be quite happy having them again, but curious as to what people think before I shell out.
The Deef's apprentice

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2013, 10:48:29 pm »
What do people say about the Pirellis? I had to Pirellis to my 125, and loved them! I'd be quite happy having them again, but curious as to what people think before I shell out.

Very good tyres. Riding Diablos on boxeye - nice.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2013, 09:05:28 am »
Remember that some of the latest tyres don't have a 110/70-17 front tyre option, or charge extra  £££ if they do.

Seems to be a move towards 120/60 or 120/70 fronts by the manufacturers, I suppose they are the most popular front tyre sizes
« Last Edit: 13 June 2013, 10:31:44 am by kebab19 »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2013, 11:07:20 am »

I will defend the Maxxis slightly as well as my opinion is based on the set I had. The problem with that is the crazy ass previous owner stuck a 120/70 on the front and a 180/55 on the rear which he failed to tell me had a nail through it so would slowly deflate itself. Maybe the proper sizes would have felt better, unfortunately I'm not willing to spend the money to find out :P

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2013, 12:20:59 pm »
Tried the Bridgestones and the Road 3s.
Personally I prefer the Pilots, they tip a bit faster into a corner which I like, and feel a bit more stable in the corner, and also seem to have a bit more wet grip. However if you're doing a lot of motorways, you may prefer the more "planted" feeling of the bridgestones when they're upright, and just live with the slightly slower feeling turn in speed.

Personally though, next time I come round for tyres I'll be checking out the new angels. Supposed to be extremely capable tyres, and you can ride them almost as though they're proper sports tyres apparently, as compared to the others where you can't take the piss outright.

That said, on standard footrests I imagine any of them will be enough to comfortably ground the pegs out!

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 June 2013, 01:53:54 pm »
I do like the look of the Pirellis, just not sure what they're like in terms of longevity...  :rolleyes

Does this look like a decent price for them?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110-70-17-160-60-17-HR-Pirelli-Diablo-ROSSO-2-II-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Tyres-/300691554731?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item46029d01ab
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 June 2013, 01:59:04 pm »
You know those are H speed rated right? Should be enough but just so you are aware this means they are rated up to 130mph - just something to bear in mind

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

Edit: Price seems about right - Black Circles has them for about £155 a set
« Last Edit: 13 June 2013, 02:00:27 pm by Dead Eye »

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 June 2013, 03:04:09 pm »
On 33hp, I max out at 110 anyway. But true, something to bear in mind.

Any more info on the Metzelers?
The Deef's apprentice