Date: 01-06-24  Time: 22:41 pm

Author Topic: hashtag bloody cyclist  (Read 7383 times)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: hashtag bloody cyclist
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2013, 01:32:09 pm »
I've seen coppers pulling over motorbikes who have been avaialing themselves to the bicycle lanes, just recently on London Wall so be warned,,,

On the other hand, if you're riding through London that time of the morning or home time it's bloody difficult to get into the cycle boxes as they're usually full of taxis or other prats who couldn't squeeze through the lights when they turned. Don't get me started about the bloody pedestrians...

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2013, 01:42:57 pm »
Cyclists...

Ciclista que se cae por un puente

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2013, 01:44:04 pm »
I've seen coppers pulling over motorbikes who have been avaialing themselves to the bicycle lanes, just recently on London Wall so be warned

i've seen them do it too - mainly Westminster i think.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2013, 04:43:30 pm »
Another point of discussion then. Say you are at some traffic lights, with a red light camera and an ambulance needs to be through. And for the purposes of our discussion you have 2 options only - move through to let the ambulance through and get flashed, or wait for the lights to turn green. What do you do?

You wait.

You should only proceed across a red light if instructed to by a Police Officer in uniform (or in a car!). Other emergency services vehicles should turn off their sirens and wait until the lights change.

If you cross the red light (or enter a bus lane or cycle lane during its hours of operation) you can be fined.

http://bluelightaware.org.uk/

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
nothing wrong with pedantry - priority, i stand corrected.

:)

I wonder if he (the cyclist) didn't think motorcycles were allowed in to the cycle box and thought i was just being bloody minded?

Erm, do you mean "did think motorcycles were allowed in the cycle box"?

i agree with Daz that few cyclists appear to know what the law is in relation to road use and that, perhaps, some sort of training ought to be mandatory?

Whilst I can see the point, the fact is that requiring cyclists to get training (let alone testing, licenses, registration or insurance) would put people off using bicycles.

And, of course, if cyclists do stupid things, in the vast majority of cases it's only themselves they're putting at risk.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 04:49:12 pm by Grahamm »

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2013, 05:08:10 pm »
Another point of discussion then. Say you are at some traffic lights, with a red light camera and an ambulance needs to be through. And for the purposes of our discussion you have 2 options only - move through to let the ambulance through and get flashed, or wait for the lights to turn green. What do you do?

You wait.

You should only proceed across a red light if instructed to by a Police Officer in uniform (or in a car!). Other emergency services vehicles should turn off their sirens and wait until the lights change.

If you cross the red light (or enter a bus lane or cycle lane during its hours of operation) you can be fined.

http://bluelightaware.org.uk/

That was my thoughts, and that's what I told my wife last night. But when discussing it at work I was met with "you'd let someone die?" - my answer was "I didn't make the rules of the road, so, why should I pick up a fine and points because of that?"

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2013, 07:40:02 pm »
Yes, they should turn their siren off, and normally do, personally I always pull forward and to one side providing space, regardless of what the law says I'll do my upmost best to help blue lights through- red light camera sensors don't detect bikes (in my numerous experiences anyway!) and if it was caught on CCTV and they sent me a letter through the post I would happily go to court even knowing that 'legally' I was wrong, do you really think you'd get charged for helping emergency services?
In the past I've even shot up the road when I've seen a choke point to stop a dump truck, giving an ambulance a clear run, but that's just my support riding coming through!
Some say...

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2013, 08:20:16 pm »
do you really think you'd get charged for helping emergency services?

Yes
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2013, 08:27:36 pm »
the only thing the OP did wrong was not putting his sidestand down, get off the bike and plant the cyclist.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2013, 09:05:18 pm »
Good wee link there grahamm
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2013, 09:07:48 pm »
i had the same situation with a fire engine, i was in bath city centre at a set of traffic lights on red, with a fire engine behind me, lights and siren going if i had moved flash of camera bang points and fine, i felt a right knob, as for your cycle you cant move m8t,  :o
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2013, 09:52:30 pm »
do you really think you'd get charged for helping emergency services?

Unfortunately, according to the letter of the law, yes, you would.

Having done some searching on this, sometimes fines are waived, other times they aren't. Also I've found this from TFL's website:

When can I enter a bus lane?

During non operational times. The times of operation are indicated on the sign
    If you want to turn left within 20 metres of the junction - an arrow or a dotted white line will indicate if this is allowed
    If avoiding road works or emergency vehicles

So, at the moment, the law is, frankly, a complete mess...!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2013, 05:17:37 pm »
yes I would have got done, have spoken to a copper about it, :'(

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2013, 06:47:32 pm »
i had the same situation with a fire engine, i was in bath city centre at a set of traffic lights on red, with a fire engine behind me, lights and siren going if i had moved flash of camera bang points and fine, i felt a right knob, as for your cycle you cant move m8t,  :o

ooo are you a fazer owner living in Bath?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2013, 09:04:20 pm »
no skippernick me in south wales, but used to do a run through the west country 3 times a week for ten year,s if my memory is right there is a fore street in trow,b, used to be a baxters butchers, nice place.