Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:30 pm

Author Topic: SV650S First Impressions  (Read 2502 times)

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
SV650S First Impressions
« on: 19 May 2013, 06:22:36 pm »
Yes yes, wrong forum I know but i'll throw in some comparisons against the FZS600 it replaced OK!?!  :rolleyes

So, if you've read my other thread, i've just bought a Suzuki SV650S to replace my ageing FZS600. Suzuki is a '56 plate, 12k miles and the FZS is a '99 plate with 73k miles.

First impressions of the Suzuki are that it's not as pokey as I expected for a twin and certainly nowhere near as quick as the FZS. The suspension is quite soft and the riding position is sportier which made my wrists ache by the time my 200 mile ride home was over.

However, there is something really nice about the thrum of a twin with a Scorpion can and it's so useable around town as you don't really need to change gear very often, it'll happily pull away at low revs in whatever gear you want really - that's a useful thing for the commute.

Is my Suzuki a better bike that my FZS....Yes (On account that it's much newer and better looking)
Is the SV650 a better bike than the FZS....No
Am I pleased that i've swapped....Yes
Am I going to miss the old FZS when she's gone....Yes!  :(

A plus for the Suzuki is the weight though, it's a feather-weight at 169kgs and you really feel the difference when tipping it into the corners. The chicken strips from the previous owner are well and truly gone now!

If it was my only bike I would definitely want a bit more power but as I have a FZ1 to satisfy that on the weekends, I think this SV is going to be a really good bike for the morning commute. The fact I got it for an absolute BARGAIN is even better!

So, watch out for a 'well used' but well loved FZS600 soon. Just need to strip off my Scottoiler and heated grips and it'll be up for sale....missus wont let me have 3 bikes...jeez!!  :rolleyes

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: SV650S First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2013, 06:26:54 pm »
Much the same as my thoughts when I rode it, I personally preferred the rev happy fzs engine over the sv - didn't like the power delivery of the twin.

I can imagine its a good commuter bike though

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2013, 06:33:26 pm »
Much the same as my thoughts when I rode it, I personally preferred the rev happy fzs engine over the sv - didn't like the power delivery of the twin.

I can imagine its a good commuter bike though

Me too, one of the reasons I held onto the FZS for so long is because that engine just loves to rev and I have such a hoot on it every day. Unfortunately the rest of the bike is getting too old now, if only I could take the engine with me! It fires up every morning on 1 crank from the button, push and BANG...off we go. It still pulls as strong as ever, I know it would happily go on for 10's of thousands of miles more....such a shame and waste really  :(

I'm with you though, there's no surge of power with the SV, it pulls OK but never with any kind of anger, then it runs out of revs. I guess it's not that type of bike which is fine for a commute but would become boring if it was for the weekend too.

It does mean I can abuse it all day long and not really get into too much trouble  :D

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2013, 08:14:23 pm »
Two entirely different bikes....each has its good points. The torque of the twin combined with low all-up weight will make commuting a pleasure(or less of a chore) but the Fazer thrives on revs-and is seemingly unburstable-what an amazing "old skool" motor!  Non-motorcyclists don't appreciate why, in an ideal world, we would all need several different bikes to suit every eventuality....but as, like you, I  have to settle for two, Ive got the FZS 600 for scratching & general riding and "Big Red" for  "special" days! :lol

Bornagain again

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2013, 09:03:46 pm »
Don't know if it the same as the earlier ones, but don't try and engine brake 2 gears down. lol

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2013, 09:08:30 pm »
Engine braking is more prominent on these for sure lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2013, 10:42:52 pm »
Non-motorcyclists don't appreciate why, in an ideal world, we would all need several different bikes to suit every eventuality....

I don't know, non-motor people sure, but car enthusiasts have the same issue. Before I got my bike I had 4 cars at one point - granted they were all old and all had something wrong with them :P But each had its own little purpose. I wouldn't be surprised in the future if I have money, to find myself with at least 2 cars and 2 bikes to suit my ridiculous love of vehicles :D

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 08:36:49 am »
I'd been thinking about which bike to go for as my first big bike since getting my 125 last year. The 3 I was toying with was Hornet, Fazer, and SV. I learned on a Hornet, and I wasn't quite happy with the riding position so that went pretty much straight away. So it was left between the other two. Every so often I'd say "that's it, Fazer it is" and then a few minutes later "but the SV is meant to be fast"....

In the end, I opted for the Fazer for 2 reasons - I'm a big lad, and the SV is meant to cripple tall riders like me. And the 2nd is, the shop got a nice Fazer in the week before my test, so it was fate if you will.

I still wonder what would be if I'd gone down the SV route, but I suppose I'll never know. Oh, that was the other thing that put me off about the SV - it's a common bike for new riders, and apparently it's hard to find one that hasn't been dropped in some way.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 03:04:09 pm »
I'd been thinking about which bike to go for as my first big bike since getting my 125 last year. The 3 I was toying with was Hornet, Fazer, and SV. I learned on a Hornet, and I wasn't quite happy with the riding position so that went pretty much straight away. So it was left between the other two. Every so often I'd say "that's it, Fazer it is" and then a few minutes later "but the SV is meant to be fast"....

In the end, I opted for the Fazer for 2 reasons - I'm a big lad, and the SV is meant to cripple tall riders like me. And the 2nd is, the shop got a nice Fazer in the week before my test, so it was fate if you will.

I still wonder what would be if I'd gone down the SV route, but I suppose I'll never know. Oh, that was the other thing that put me off about the SV - it's a common bike for new riders, and apparently it's hard to find one that hasn't been dropped in some way.

You chose well buddy, it's not the most comfortable for taller people. I'm close to 6ft and it's a little cramped, the Fazer is far more comfortable, is much quicker and ultimately a better bike. The only reason I changed is because my Fazer is on 73k now, i've had 2 of them before so fancied something different and a twin appealed to me