Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:28 am

Author Topic: Front Mudguard Bolts  (Read 1420 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Front Mudguard Bolts
« on: 15 May 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
Just doing my forks today and two of the mudguard bolts had been replaced with flat head screws, one of which was really difficult to remove. I got it out eventually but ideally would like to replace them with some bolts like they should be. Does anyone know what size they are so I can get some on ebay please? I have found them on AJ sutton really cheap but the problem then is the postage is £6.... Any help would be great thank you.

Stedman8

• DAS Born Again
  • it aint easy bein' sleazy
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Front Mudguard Bolts
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 11:23:12 pm »
pretty sure they're m6x15
get off the cooker granny, you're too old to ride the range

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 05:21:16 pm »
Thanks for that, I may end up ordering them off of AJ sutton after all  :o . Got the right fork completed today, had a few tense moments but really happy it's done and even cleaned up the lower which looks awesome. From what I can tell everything is working great and no leaks. Got to the left, got it all dismantled no worries and cleaned up ready to insert the new stanchion, but the plastic spindle taper or damper rod seat as it's called in the haynes is stuck in the bottom of the old dented stanchion and I really can't get it out. It's probably damaged beyond use now anyway. They're £20 on AJ sutton too  :'( . Does anyone have any ideas before I order one tonight? Cheers

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 07:19:44 pm »
Other than angle grind/cut up the stantion to retreve it, it's a new one.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 07:24:11 pm »
Just a quick note, I occasionally grab the OEM part no's (either from AJ Suttons website or the Parts Catalogue in the Downloads section) and stuff it in to Wemoto. The prices so far are usually about the same if not a little cheaper on Wemoto but their shipping is cheaper :)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2013, 08:33:51 pm »
Well bit the bullet and ordered the part and the mudguard bolts while I was at it. Even though I have only completed one fork so far, it was really interesting doing it as I haven't done that job before. For anyone interested in doing fork seal / bush replacement I used the old site huge page on fork seal replacement as a guide and this guys vids which I think are great.
Delboy's Garage, How-To replace regular type fork seals.

From my post before ages ago, the mechanic was right and the top bushes in both forks were pretty worn, even for a 22k bike. All replaced now though or waiting to be replaced in the second fork  :) .

Thats a nice idea actually deadeye I'll try that next time I think. A bit gutted bike wont be ready for the weekend probably unless I'm really lucky and the parts arrive on saturday, but ah well. I went for the 15w oil too so looking forward to seeing what that's like.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2013, 10:08:42 pm »
Awesome video, a few helpful hints in there as well to save some money on tools :)

I've been contemplating doing mine but I've been putting it off - at least now its not so much of an unknown and the hints should make the job that much easier and cheaper :D

marksfazer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2013, 09:34:21 am »
Great vid, I watched it with interest.
I was moving my bike around in the garage the other day and notice a smearing of oil around one of the stanctions. Cleaned it up and went out for blast and came back and there were no more traces of oil?
So i think one of the seals might be on its way out or it caught a bit of dirt in it and has now moved.
Anyways, i might be doing fork seals soon!

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2013, 06:40:49 pm »
Definitely I subscribed to him a while back, he has loads of good vids then when he posted this one I couldn't believe my luck. I followed it all the way through along with this http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/23188/HOWTO-Forks-Seals-Bushes-and-Oil and with patience it was honestly not as hard as I expected. The only unlucky thing is that spindle taper which has got stuck, he doesn't mention them in his vid and its not mentioned on the link above so be careful of them they're in the bottom of the stanchion and are white. The one I have ordered isn't in stock so I am going to be without my bike for 10-30 days as it's coming from Japan!  :'(  Still, good learning curve and when it arrives I can finally whack on my new stanchion and fingers crossed get rid of my leaky seals!