Date: 16-06-24  Time: 07:49 am

Author Topic: Won't Start - No Spark!  (Read 4547 times)

paulh

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Won't Start - No Spark!
« on: 15 May 2013, 01:54:42 pm »
Hi, My son's Fazer 600 has a fault that I am having a nightmare trying to fix!
Was running ok, then engine stopped and would not re-start. Checked fuel ok, but no spark on any cylinder.
The engine cranks normally, so main,sidestand,neutral and kill switch are ok. Fuses ok
Have checked plug caps, ignition coils, have replaced ECU and main relay, which made no difference.
Checked pickup coil resistance and continuity of wiring from crankshaft sensor, checked TPS which appears
to be ok. Having admitted defeat on finding the problem I sent bike to motorcycle repair garage locally who
could not find the fault either! I brought bike home in back of van and got an auto electrician in to fix it.
3 hours later still no fix!!! Arrrrrrrgh!! have now booked bike in the local Yamaha dealer to sort, but can't take a look
at it for another week or so. Has anyone got any bright ideas? as I am desperate to sort it out having spent over
£250 on van hire, parts that did'nt fix it and" professionals" who could'nt fix it either.
Many thanks for reading my tale of woe.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
Thanks, Paul

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Start - No Spark!
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 02:15:54 pm »
The symptoms are similar to the problem I had last year.
If you're lucky the cause may be the same: it certainly sounds like a fault in the wiring... you've changed everything else.

paulh

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2013, 06:16:11 pm »
Fazrider - Thank you,Thank you!!
Have just checked the bike and taken a look at the black wires in the 3 white connectors next to the CDI unit, although the wires were intact, I found there was a white 4 way connector with a black link and another 4 way connector with no plug in it, I then found another
white 4 way connector with a black link wire rattling about in the bottom of storage compartment under the seat, reconnected it and hey presto it started!!!
Thanks again for your help, it has saved me money and further grief.
Cheers, Paul

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2013, 06:29:50 pm »
It's hard to believe that an auto-electrician wouldn't have checked for loose plugs - glad to hear you've got it running though! :D

Stooby2

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XJ900 Diversion 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2013, 10:05:49 pm »
Have just checked the bike and taken a look at the black wires in the 3 white connectors next to the CDI unit,

Any chance of a photo of that please? I'm trying to track down an intermittant electrical fault, causing the bike to stall. I've eliminated all the usual suspects and I'm now moving onto the unusual ones.

Thanks.

john 087

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2013, 09:03:18 pm »
i had a similar problem last year, was the ign switch acting up. spray every now and then with wd 40 seems to help.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2013, 07:09:50 am »
It's hard to believe that an auto-electrician wouldn't have checked for loose plugs - glad to hear you've got it running though! :D

yeh ...iam thinking the same....total loss of power points to connection/wiring problem....a  good auto electrician should have spotted that straight away....might be worth going back to him and see what he says....i think thats worth a re-fund

glad you got it sorted,bl**dy things drive you mad at times  :rolleyes [size=78%]  [/size]
One, is never going to be enough.....

WookieoToole

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJR 1300 x 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2013, 12:14:52 am »
Good info and glad ya got it sorted -- aye Red nearly as bad a women :evil :evil :evil -- but simpler to fix and u dinna have to buy em flowers after ya have sworn at em and flung hammers around  lmao  :lol :lol :lol