Date: 20-05-24  Time: 20:37 pm

Author Topic: New brake light idea  (Read 2152 times)

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New brake light idea
« on: 14 May 2013, 09:10:40 pm »
What do you all reckon to this??

[size=78%]http://www.gizmag.com/vololights-motorcycle-braking-light/27492/[/size]

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: New brake light idea
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2013, 09:24:26 pm »
Meh, I hardly use my breaks as it is, tending to use the gears to slow down, if I'm slowing for an exit/ turn into a side road I'd be checking my mirrors for if someone's up my arse to need to use the brake lights!
Some say...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
i think its a great idea i'm with you Punkstig, but the one time where your concentration is on something else this could help.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2013, 10:18:17 pm »
What about this built into a helmet???

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2013, 12:52:16 am »
This is awesome :) Definitely something I will be looking in to, but I don't think I can afford to throw my money at it yet :P

D4Delta

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2013, 01:12:41 am »
Sounds a good idea. Two comments though -

I like to have the brake light switch adjusted so that the light comes on just before the brake. That way you can let someone following know you are slowing down if needed.

Also, on my advanced training I was taught that brake pads are easier and cheaper to replace than gearboxes! Better than putting unnecessary strain on the chain and box.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2013, 08:53:13 am »
Out of interest, how do drivers know what this means?
If the rate of deceleration indicates a normal braking scenario, the Vololights’ two rows of four red LEDs will flash alternately at a rate of two times per second – this just alerts drivers to the fact that the motorcycle is slowing. If the bike decelerates very quickly, however, the lights will flash five times a second, letting drivers know that they have to react fast in order to avoid an accident

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2013, 09:01:40 am »
A red light at the back of a vehicle that gets brighter when you slow usually only means 1 thing!! Hopefully cagers "get" it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2013, 12:54:03 pm »
What do you all reckon to this??

Gears to go, brakes to slow.

Get into the habit of checking your mirrors any time you're going to make a noticable change to your speed, decelerating *or* accelerating (it's a good habit anyway because it lets you know if there's something behind you and what they might do next) and even if you're just using engine braking to slow down, a gentle squeeze on the front brake lever will trigger the brake light to give whoever's behind you a clue that they may need to think about slowing too.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2013, 12:58:34 pm »
If the rate of deceleration indicates a normal braking scenario, the Vololights’ two rows of four red LEDs will flash alternately at a rate of two times per second – this just alerts drivers to the fact that the motorcycle is slowing. If the bike decelerates very quickly, however, the lights will flash five times a second, letting drivers know that they have to react fast in order to avoid an accident

I think the idea is that it gets their attention (a flashing light is more noticable to the human eye than a steady one).

I've seen a couple of cars (presumably imports) where, if the driver pushes hard on the brakes, will flash the brake lights several times before having them come on constantly, however I believe such systems are not legal for cars manufactured in the UK at the moment as the MOT requires a "steady brake light".

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2013, 01:16:46 pm »
Well this new system doesn't look as though it replaces the standard lights, its its own self-contained unit which also holds the number plate, so should be perfectly legal to use in the UK and will pass an MOT :)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2013, 01:18:59 pm »

I think the idea is that it gets their attention (a flashing light is more noticable to the human eye than a steady one).

I've seen a couple of cars (presumably imports) where, if the driver pushes hard on the brakes, will flash the brake lights several times before having them come on constantly, however I believe such systems are not legal for cars manufactured in the UK at the moment as the MOT requires a "steady brake light".

Not sure about the legality but this has been on BMW's and Mercs for a couple of years now, basically if you brake really hard i mean really hard, the cars computer senses this and takes over, ABS etc, but also it flashes the brakes as a warning.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2013, 02:48:12 pm »
Citroën and volvo do it as well, I believe...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2013, 03:39:24 pm »
I thought on newer cars it puts the hazards on for extreme braking- I know the scoobies do, and this morning I saw this on a fiat 500 me thinks!
Some say...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2013, 04:59:45 pm »
ok flashes some lights at the rear end of the cage. :lol
Actually i think you are right.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2013, 05:22:44 pm »
I thought on newer cars it puts the hazards on for extreme braking- I know the scoobies do, and this morning I saw this on a fiat 500 me thinks!
As I thought it was illegal to have flashing red lights on a vehicle I was thinking it would be OK if it was amber.

I have contemplated having red flashing cyclists lamps on my rucksack like I used to have when cycling, I know if your in traffic the cyclist flashing red lights stand out from all the car lights.