Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:58 am

Author Topic: excersize  (Read 3470 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
excersize
« on: 14 May 2013, 03:40:40 pm »
ok all you fit foccers out there......had a man mot a few weeks ago,everything ok but i need to do a bit of excersize,so bought myself a push bike and plan on riding to work,5 miles one way with slight hill.......any tips  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: excersize
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2013, 03:53:35 pm »
Good on you. Don't get knocked off.

Swimming is also good for general fitness, although not as easy to get to work by swimming  :lol

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Liroka

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2013, 04:02:50 pm »
Good luck and stick with it.

I bought a bicycle last summer for the same reason although my commute's 14 miles each way - rode it three times to the local shops and it's been in the shed ever since.  :o
Google Cranium: The Browser For Your Brain.

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2013, 04:04:50 pm »
Give up alcohol.

Swimming is good excersize if you put in some serious effort, unfortunately most people that go swimming to loose weight or get fitter just end up half-heartedly doing a few lengths of breast stroke then chatting for a bit. As with ANY excersize, its only doing you any serious good if you can hear your heart pounding in your chest and you are red and sweaty... anything else is just moving about a bit. I personally find it hard to achieve any benefits from swimming because when I have got my heartrate up to a decent 'working' bpm I am starting to feel sick from the chlorine smell.
I would go for cycling and jogging and leave the swimming for leisure or injure recovery/physio style gentle excersize myelf.
Take it easy on the bike, use all the gears, and after a few weeks you will notice that you are naturally going up small hills in higher gears than you used to... thats progress, and it feels good!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2013, 04:27:42 pm »
Very good points Jon.  :)

I have the same problem with swimming although I find that swimming makes a big difference to controlling my breathing whilst exercising. This benefits other exercise when most people don't think about how breathing effects their workout.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2013, 04:43:15 pm »
Give up alcohol.

Swimming is good excersize if you put in some serious effort, unfortunately most people that go swimming to loose weight or get fitter just end up half-heartedly doing a few lengths of breast stroke then chatting for a bit. As with ANY excersize, its only doing you any serious good if you can hear your heart pounding in your chest and you are red and sweaty... anything else is just moving about a bit. I personally find it hard to achieve any benefits from swimming because when I have got my heartrate up to a decent 'working' bpm I am starting to feel sick from the chlorine smell.
I would go for cycling and jogging and leave the swimming for leisure or injure recovery/physio style gentle excersize myelf.
Take it easy on the bike, use all the gears, and after a few weeks you will notice that you are naturally going up small hills in higher gears than you used to... thats progress, and it feels good!

good points there  JON ,iam already red so thats one tick  :lol  used the bike yesterday,23 mins on the way to work and 20 going home,so a slight hill advantage on the homeward bound journey or am i keener to get home than i am to get to work  ;) .....in the cage today as its pi**ing down out there.......this does mean iam getting to work sweaty/smelly so wont be able to do every day as sometimes have to meet customers,if i can do 2/3 times a week i`ll be happy

used to be a keen swimmer able to do 50 lengths and had the old ticker pounding and felt great afterwards,that was a few years ago so doubt if i could do that now......thanks for all your comments  :D

[ /quote]

madmondeoman

• GP Hero
  • Needs some 2 wheel therapy
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2013, 04:51:04 pm »
Get a cycle helmet, rather look a fool then get knocked and crack your head open.
Some gloves are good and also a good pair of shorts with lots of padding in.
These shorts are brilliant http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/endura-humvee-shorts-black.html

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2013, 04:58:16 pm »
Get a cycle helmet, rather look a fool then get knocked and crack your head open.
Some gloves are good and also a good pair of shorts with lots of padding in.
These shorts are brilliant http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/endura-humvee-shorts-black.html

yeh got helmet.....dont think they look as silly now everyones wearing them  ;) ....defo need some padded shorts  :o  its a bit hard on my delicate rear end  ;) ....gloves are a good idea  :) ....expensive buisness this excersize lark  :\

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2013, 05:01:08 pm »
Dont underestimate the power of the gym red..

Even though im a fat bastard at the moment i can & do drop weight pretty quickly with a bit of weights circuit training, you jump from excercise to excercise with hardly any break in between, gets you sweating & heavy breathing in no time.work the big muscle groups like this & you'll minimise muscle wastage associated with a cardio only regime (cue the emaciated look) plus because you do lots of different excercises it's less boring & all over in just under an hour.

Oh & get a dog :)  coz then you have to go out in the rain with the little fur bags! :'(
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2013, 05:06:06 pm »
yeh did think about the gym...got an intro offer at the doc`s....£20 per month for first year ,half price,might give it a go but time is a bit tight hence the riding to work,bikes quicker getting home than the cage due to traffic  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
yeh did think about the gym...got an intro offer at the doc`s....£20 per month for first year ,half price,might give it a go but time is a bit tight hence the riding to work,bikes quicker getting home than the cage due to traffic  :)

The gym is also a bit marmitey too

Some people just do not like them,same with swimming

At least you get to see the great outdoors on the bike.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2013, 05:13:22 pm »
i can understand the gym in the winter ,but its got to be better to go for a jog round the local park in the summer....but worse thing for me with the gym is the smell  :\

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2013, 05:15:10 pm »
Pushing ya fazer 5 mile to work n back will def do the trick in no time!!!!!
It'll be like iron man training  :eek

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2013, 05:17:01 pm »
Pushing ya fazer 5 mile to work n back will def do the trick in no time!!!!!
It'll be like iron man training  :eek

save petrol aswell.......ahhh,if i push the cage i`ll save even more petrol  :rollin :rollin

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2013, 06:19:55 pm »
I can't understand why people use the gym when you can use a bicycle, run, swim, mow the lawn and do gardening.  Cycling is great fun, always better if you can get others to go with you.  As the others said take your time, use the gears, don't lose enthusiasm and make sure your tire pressures are correct otherwise you'll be knackered in no time.  Also worth thinking about tubeless/slime and/or any other puncture proofing solution.  If you're only going on the road make sure you have a racer rather than a mountain bike, alternatively a hybrid is a good compromise.

« Last Edit: 14 May 2013, 06:38:47 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2013, 06:35:53 pm »
Like simon says,think bout punctures..

Get a small pump attached to the frame but try it out first as ive had a few of them that unnecessarily awkward to use with lots o fiddly pieces, plus carry a spare inner tube which saves fixing a puncture,i'd even carry one of those pressurised air bottles like for the motorbike puncture kits, could be dodgy but would sure inflate quickly.

Also Get used to feeling like youve been in the jail touching your toes as saddles sure are un comfy to begin with but i usually use a mountain bike & stand up allot on the bike.

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2013, 06:37:25 pm »
I used to really enjoy the gym when I had it to myself, but hated it when it was busy in the evenings as I hate having to wait to use a particular set of weights or bit of kit. I gave it up, and concentrated on running and cycling. Bought myself a load of free weightsand a bench off ebay then went to the scrapyard and got this...

And did this to it...

And made this!

I have fitted a cross brace, longer bar, a pulley for pulldowns and locking hooks attatched to the bar that locate into the slots on the frame. All-in it cost me under 50 quid and its a lot sturdier than most smith machines on the market.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2013, 07:47:43 pm »
Yep, I do the same as Jon. Can't stand gyms, full of ego hunters. I converted my shed into a gym, spent the gym payments on free weights, and I've been there ever since. And treadmills??? The council provide you with thousands of miles of pavement to run on.
Bit whatever your workout consists of, enjoy it, this is the only way you'll stick at it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2013, 07:49:25 pm »
I used to really enjoy the gym when I had it to myself, but hated it when it was busy in the evenings as I hate having to wait to use a particular set of weights or bit of kit. I gave it up, and concentrated on running and cycling. Bought myself a load of free weightsand a bench off ebay then went to the scrapyard and got this...

And did this to it...

And made this!

I have fitted a cross brace, longer bar, a pulley for pulldowns and locking hooks attatched to the bar that locate into the slots on the frame. All-in it cost me under 50 quid and its a lot sturdier than most smith machines on the market.

That must explain those epic titties

Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2013, 07:52:09 pm »
Agree on no booze, I've lost a stone, running, gym twice and week and no booze :)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2013, 07:53:19 pm »
+ 1 for cycling.

Doing the Lord Whiskey (I kid you not!) sportive on the last May bank holiday, good fun with a BBQ after.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2013, 08:03:55 pm »
If you don't want to stop the booze make it a short and a diet mixer.  Much better for you than lager/ale/wine.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2013, 12:40:09 pm »
As with ANY excersize, its only doing you any serious good if you can hear your heart pounding in your chest and you are red and sweaty... anything else is just moving about a bit.

Whilst that's true up to a point, I do *not* recommend you immediately start trying to do that sort of thing if you've not done regular exercise for a long time because you're just going to knacker yourself out and probably de-motivating yourself.

When you start riding to work, don't try to over-do it, just take it easy and make a record of how long it takes you to get there. Work out the average time for the first week, then the second week try to knock a little off the time. It doesn't have to be much, all you want is a steady improvement over the course of a month.

Once you're into the habit of exercising, *then* you can start pushing the pace a bit, but not before.

It might also be worth buying a pulse monitor. Initially you want to start exercising at around 65% of your maximum heart rate (Multiply your age by 0.7 and subtract that figure from 208), later on you can start pushing up to 75% to 80% but not initially.

As for joining gyms, I go twice a week, but instead of just doing a work-out I do a class called Body Combat (non-contact martial arts moves set to music). This is pretty high-intensity exercise (if you do it flat out you can burn 700-800 calories an hour!) but you don't have to do it that hard straight away, of course.

I find it's much better than working out on your own because there's more encouragement doing it with other people (and the fact that I'm one of only two or three guys in a class full of ladies getting sweaty... ahem, moving on...)

If martial arts moves (not fighting, I re-iterate) aren't your thing, there's classes like Body Pump (an all-over weights programme) or RPM (a class full of exercise bikes, although I find that boring because I cycle most places anyway!) or if you want to work on flexibility and your core, Pilates is excellent for that.

Mostly the important thing is to get into a routine, apart from cycling to work, put the exercise into your calendar and do it regularly for the best benefit and because that will make you less inclined to start skipping it!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2013, 02:49:32 pm »
thanks for that grahamm  :D ...the weather is holding me up at the moment,cycled on monday but cage tuesday and today,more rain tomorrow and using the fazer on friday  :\ ....might be able to get out at the weekend if iam not working,might look at those cycle trainers....anyone used one ?