Date: 15-06-24  Time: 19:11 pm

Author Topic: DataTool System 3 got me!  (Read 1690 times)

Rider_Training

• Cager in Training
  • Enjoying the corners.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda XL1000VA-B
    • View Profile
DataTool System 3 got me!
« on: 12 May 2013, 09:15:58 pm »
Last Friday the zapper got slightly wet.  I stopped at Tescos (3 miles from home) and when I went back out - zippo nothing.
Got myself picked up, went home and tried to dry it out.  Nothing so a quick call to the RAC and they recovered it home.  Alarm going off all the way into our sleepy village.

Why do they let water in - where should I keep it handy for starting up - how much for a new zapper - or should I have the alarm removed?

Go on then  tell be about it......  Thanks
Never had a Yamaha before - the F 1000 is my first!
Using it for training and all private trips.  No Car.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: DataTool System 3 got me!
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2013, 06:30:18 am »
Whenever I try to dry anything electronic out its normally in a marg container full of rice and then put in an airing cupboard/boiler room for a week.

It's always worked so far.

As for the alarm, you take it off and you lose your insurance discount and have a messy loom.  Always a last option scenario for me.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2013, 06:31:13 am by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2013, 08:09:13 am »
Similar thing happened to me twice. First time the 'zapper' just stopped working, it just broke down and the second time the battery went flat with the same result, a new battery worked for a while then it too broke. The zappers are pretty waterproof so like me you probably damaged yours at some stage
I bought a new zapper for £20, the alarm manual has instructions for 'introducing' the new zapper to the alarm. Easy job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATATOOL-SYSTEMS-S4-C1-S4-C221-CAR-REMOTE-ALARM-KEY-FOB-TESTED-WITH-PROGRAMMING-/300901039378?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item460f197d12

Si

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2013, 08:14:51 am »
If in doubt, smothering in silicone sealant  :\
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2013, 09:12:32 pm »
Insulating does the trick around the join