Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:11 pm

Author Topic: Rear caliper  (Read 1568 times)

Stedman8

• DAS Born Again
  • it aint easy bein' sleazy
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Rear caliper
« on: 09 May 2013, 12:04:03 am »
Hi all, I am having trouble with the rear brake caliper  pistons on my fazer once I free them and think its sorted they start binding again - it looks like a dismantle and thorough clean etc- but  just a quick question when looking at the caliper from behind the disc appears to sit well to the left of the slot in the caliper - it doesnt touch but is that the position its supposed to be in or should the disc sit in the centre of the slot,cheers Steve
get off the cooker granny, you're too old to ride the range

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rear caliper
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2013, 12:13:51 am »
The discs are semi-floating (I think) so it shouldn't matter

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2013, 12:37:19 am »

Rear isn't?
It's about as floaty as the Titanic!  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

spamfritter

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2013, 07:38:15 am »
my disc sits central ..  :rolleyes

i have just done strip and rebuild on rear caliper ,,it takes about an hour start to finish ..
 having done this job many many times i find that the sticking is always down to a build up behind the first small dust /dirt seal ....i pop out both seals ,,and clean them most times the rubber needs scraped wih your nail to remove deposits ,

,then scrape out the seal grove with ,, suitable tool ...i use a bit of sheet alloy cut to a point and then bent to a hook to allow access to the groove ,,, then wash out and clean caliper ...clean pistons ..i have wire brush mounted on bench grinder ... and ree assemble using clean break fluid as lube and your good to go ,,if seals are real bad leaking etc change them but most times a clean out is enough ..

Stedman8

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2013, 10:02:20 am »
Cheers spamfritter, thanks for those instructions I have new seals,but if the original seals are ok , should I put the new ones in as a matter of course or save them until needed. The way the disc is sitting in the caliper does puzzle me ( which isn't difficult  :) ) I wonder why that is, is there a spacer or similar that is missing ? Anyway stripping and cleaning is the first thing on the list,cheers Steve

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2013, 10:37:51 am »

Rear isn't?
It's about as floaty as the Titanic!  :lol

Yeah, I questioned this in my head when I posted it but figured someone would correct me if I was wrong :lol

tosh23

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - f800gs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2013, 04:45:04 pm »
If the disc isnt sitting in the middle of the "groove" the look at your wheel alignment...

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2013, 09:33:21 am »
 The disc should be in the middle of the calliper slot. It is fixed by the calliper to carrier bracket fitting face, carrier to wheel spacer face, spacer to bearing, and position of bearing in hub. It is hard to see how any of these have become out of spec but I would start by checking the fitting faces of the calliper and carrier and correct length of spacer. If the wheel bearing on the disc side was not fully pushed in it would throw the disc to the left, but I think the bearing would soon have collapsed if that was the case. A longer spacer would also have the same effect.
Have you checked if the gap is the same front to back. i.e. is the calliper parallel to the disc in the line of travel.
I can't see how wheel alignment would effect the position of the disc relative to the calliper.

Stedman8

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2013, 10:44:05 am »
I did check the wheel alignment ( in a rudimentary fashion - nothing hi-tech ) and that seems ok, as for the rear axle ,everything seems to be in place,its as if there is a spacer missing or too short by a couple of mil, as an experiment I put a 2mil thick stainless steel washer between the disc and the wheel on every bolt and that centres it - although it wont be taken on the road with these on as I'm not sure how safe it would be  :) so please keep the help coming , I surely need it :) , cheers everyone,Steve

p.s. I have taken the caliper apart and totally cleaned it and the pistons etc will be putting it back later so hpefully this will sort out the seizing prob, as for the positioning of the disc  :rolleyes , later,Steve