Date: 01-06-24  Time: 17:47 pm

Author Topic: Unexpected air  (Read 5059 times)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Unexpected air
« on: 23 April 2013, 09:21:34 pm »
Was just taking a nice spin today and going up a hill that I'v gone up manys a time, just this time i did it at speed, didn't think I was going that fast but I felt the front wheel go light but didn't realise what I had done until the back wheel hit the ground and the front was still up, just let off the trottle and the front came down but not overly hard, lucky I surpose, I didn't tense up as I didn't even know it was happening, just 2 seconds of airtime @ 90mph isn't something I would like to experience again,

This happen to many??

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected air
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2013, 09:27:29 pm »
I get unexpected air after beans if that's what you mean...

I got some air the two times I came off the bike at low speed too  :rolleyes
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2013, 09:49:50 pm »
Lol! Guinness does that to me 2

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2013, 11:06:43 pm »
Was just taking a nice spin today and going up a hill that I'v gone up manys a time, just this time i did it at speed, didn't think I was going that fast but I felt the front wheel go light but didn't realise what I had done until the back wheel hit the ground and the front was still up, just let off the trottle and the front came down but not overly hard, lucky I surpose, I didn't tense up as I didn't even know it was happening, just 2 seconds of airtime @ 90mph isn't something I would like to experience again,

This happen to many??

I've had the bike lighten quite a bit, not sure if I ever got "legitimate" air though...
The Deef's apprentice

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2013, 11:58:02 pm »
I'v never even felt the front go light before, scared the shite out of me at the start, just wasn't expecting a Moto cross style jump out of a Fazer.

As scary as it was and dangerous I still had to laugh at the look on the face of the person walking on the road :rollin

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2013, 12:11:06 am »
Never had proper air on the fazer, tho I have had the front lift 2 up in second when accelerating from a junction! !!
Did make me grin but was seriously worried about putting it back down with a panicked pillion
Good times tho  ;)

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 12:47:09 am »
Jeez. What a sad life if you think that is dangerous.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2013, 01:36:28 am »
Jeez. What a sad life if you think that is dangerous.

Jeez thanks for the sad life comment, and yes even if it sounds sad I do think that a jump at almost 100mph on a Fazer was dangerous ( as I'm only a learner), I'v seen guys get tank slappers from even little bumps in the road and high side. If I was on a bike made for that type of thing then no it wasn't dangerous but it's a road bike.

Ya know what next time I go over that hill ill do 140mph and maybe jump of the bike and do a little twirl and while reading MCN's paper and smoking a pipe at the same time all while wearing no gear, would that be dangerous enough for ya???

Maybe I should line up 15 cars and a ring of fire to jump through just to keep mr danger happy!!!!!!!!!??

I wasn't trying to say it was the most dangerous thing I have ever done just saying it was unexpected and if it has happened to anyone else.

But if this thread offends you lumpy ill take it down no problem

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2013, 02:28:52 am »
+1  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2013, 10:28:16 am »
Don't feed the troll :P

I don't think I've ever had true air on the bike, got close once on Exupnuts bike though - was chasing after Christo (who was on mine) and a small humpback bridge was sort of in the way...

Jezzer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2013, 10:45:08 am »
Google bsb cadwell mountain

:)

Air at 90 would scare me, sad or not.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2013, 10:58:19 am »
As you said, you probably went over the hill faster than normal. Be careful bud, the front end on those things are a bit light IMO. There is a bit more feedback than a Bandit 600....but I never got that  "totally planted on the ground" feel with either of the 600's like a get with a heavier lump up front.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2013, 12:21:57 pm »
I don't think I've ever had true air on the bike, got close once on Exupnuts bike though - was chasing after Christo (who was on mine) and a small humpback bridge was sort of in the way...

I remeber it, that was an AWESOME bridge!  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2013, 12:29:23 pm »
They are abit light alright, but now that I think about it it shouldn't have happened at all as my chest was sitting on the tank( was fairly ripping it, it was the last straight on the was home and was my first chance to test for dead spots in the high rev range. Ah wel could have been alot worse, another thing learned I surpose,

Have to go for a longer spin tomorrow for the auld 25th birthday, getting old lol

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2013, 12:36:54 pm »
Blame it on the NOS!  :rollin :rollin
The Deef's apprentice

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2013, 01:46:24 pm »
They are abit light alright, but now that I think about it it shouldn't have happened at all as my chest was sitting on the tank( was fairly ripping it, it was the last straight on the was home and was my first chance to test for dead spots in the high rev range. Ah wel could have been alot worse, another thing learned I surpose,

Have to go for a longer spin tomorrow for the auld 25th birthday, getting old lol

Old??.........well I must be in the departure lounge of life at 51!!.....especially after having a banger 5 years ago from burning the candle too much at both ends!!  :smokin

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2013, 01:59:34 pm »
"having a banger"  ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2013, 02:51:57 pm »
I imagine he means a heart attack?  ;)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2013, 03:19:58 pm »
Don't feed the troll :P

I was on christo's bike that day so way behind and didnt see. GRABBIN AIR ON ME FAHKIN JULIE(a kosmicism) was ya! Oooh ya holligan ya. Lol

Grabbin air the first time fer anyone on any bike at any speed is gonna be a bit of a sphincter wink. Unless your name is robert rose, a guy i know who was commin down new north road near old street roundabout when he flew over the humpback bridge @ 50 in a 30 zone. The bridge was quite steep and both wheels lifted 4 feet. What he didnt realise was there was a small turning just past the bridge and as he went over he hit a car pulling out in the side with BOTH wheels in the air. He went over the top of the car and sustained minor bruising and a few scratches. And he got a payout lucky bastard. His nickname is crash btw.
As with all things biking, be progressive. If u know the bridge well and its safe there's no reason u cant have bit of a giggle.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
Nothing wrong with a bit of air time!

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 April 2013, 09:10:33 pm »
On the Settle to Hawes road there are 3 places along there that I always get launched into the air with both wheels off the road. Great fun. No tank slippers.....yet. Also as you come off the top of Holme Moss and head down to the Woodhead Pass side there is an evil hump that launches you airborne. That's a bit sphincter clenching as it quickly turns left and there's a huge drop-off through crash barriers if it goes pear-shaped :eek

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 April 2013, 10:34:23 pm »
Seems like I'v just joined the airtime aligence!!!! Haha

Ah packie Ur never too old, just feel old haha, aches and pains in the auld muscles and joints after work. Other than that I have me health so I really shouldn't be complaining of age.

Don't think my jump was 4 foot now to be honest, that would have cleared a midget with a top hat :rollin

Mine was more of a foot and a half to 2 foot effort, think I got off handy with the landing as after the jump i was still going very slightly up hill.

:lol I can still see that persons face that was walking on the road!!! She was like WTF!!!!! :eek :eek :eek

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2013, 12:52:29 am »

Old??.........well I must be in the departure lounge of life at 51!!.....especially after having a banger 5 years ago from burning the candle too much at both ends!!  :smokin
Well Packie,  If he is old at 25 and your in the departure lounge I must be at the boarding gate and ancient at 57, we will have to call up to him and help him through his old years  :rollin

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2013, 06:02:39 am »
Lol!!!! Sure wel go for a pint, just remind me to bring me hearing aid and me walker haha

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2013, 10:39:27 am »
I imagine he means a heart attack?  ;)

Chris

Spot on!!