Date: 16-06-24  Time: 04:06 am

Author Topic: Oil Light?  (Read 1794 times)

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Oil Light?
« on: 21 April 2013, 03:08:47 pm »
Just noticed recently that when i go over about 100 mph using all the revs through the gears my oil light comes on and stays on untill i drop the revs and speed again.
There is enough in it, what else could this be?
Also why does the oil sight glass have the weird black u shape on it?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Light?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2013, 07:57:21 pm »
When you say there is enough in it,exactly where is it?

Have you noticed the min & max markings etched into the casing beside the glass?,only reason i ask is that i hadnt until someone on here pointed them out,its gotta be pretty far up the level to stop the light coming on under heavy acceleration.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2013, 03:43:28 pm »
Just noticed recently that when i go over about 100 mph using all the revs through the gears my oil light comes on and stays on untill i drop the revs and speed again.

The Fazer oil light is a pain in the butt IMO. It reads oil level height and not oil pressure so it can be fooled. Maybe if you were doing 100mph on a slight incline, most of the oil might be sitting at the back or to the front of the engine and missing the oil sensor. I'd imagine if you were a Valentino Rossi type and was doing 100mph with the knee down, it might do the same again as most of the oil will be settled to the side. Scary shit though seeing a red light and don't know if its a false alarm or not and have to stop anyway just in case.

At least with an oil pressure type sensor, in nearly most cases when it comes on, you know there is somethng wrong and you need to shut that engine down immediately.

That half moon yokel in the window of the eyeglass is most annoying too. I find I have to get on my knees and look at the oil level close up than normal on bikes with a plain eyeglass. Maybe it has something to do with the sensor.

riz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

That half moon yokel in the window of the eyeglass is most annoying too. I find I have to get on my knees and look at the oil level close up than normal on bikes with a plain eyeglass. Maybe it has something to do with the sensor.

Was more of a pain on the thundercat i used to have, they shoved a fairing in the way!!!
Random question, why did yam fit a temp sensor to the cat and no fuel gauge and the other way round on the fazer?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2013, 04:51:40 pm »
That would be an ecumenical question!

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2013, 05:00:21 pm »

The Fazer oil light is a pain in the butt IMO. It reads oil level height and not oil pressure so it can be fooled. Maybe if you were doing 100mph on a slight incline, most of the oil might be sitting at the back or to the front of the engine and missing the oil sensor. I'd imagine if you were a Valentino Rossi type and was doing 100mph with the knee down, it might do the same again as most of the oil will be settled to the side. Scary shit though seeing a red light and don't know if its a false alarm or not and have to stop anyway just in case.

At least with an oil pressure type sensor, in nearly most cases when it comes on, you know there is somethng wrong and you need to shut that engine down immediately.

« Last Edit: 22 April 2013, 05:02:02 pm by Jimmygixxer »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2013, 08:57:01 pm »
Stick another 200 ml in and it'll go away.

Works every time for me, the oil level needs to be up near the top mark on the window, it's very sensitive...

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2013, 09:08:40 pm »
That would be an ecumenical question!

Hahhaahahah nice father ted input there.

Wierd suggestion here but it probably is oil itself, but might be worth a try if that doesn't work to find a second hand sensor?

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2013, 07:19:40 pm »
Insulation tape over the light   :lol