Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:52 pm

Author Topic: Winter gloves  (Read 6967 times)

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
Winter gloves
« on: 31 October 2011, 10:20:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of leather, waterproof, breathable and insulated gloves? I know you get what you pay for but where does the price band stop were a glove stops being utterly shite an the quality becomes good?

I recently paid £40 for a pair that supposedly do all the above. After a 200 mile jaunt into Wales yesterday the inside of the glove felt damp which left my hands on the chilly side, and considering that there was no rain yesterday i can only put it down to the gloves not breathing.

It just makes my piss boil when the manufacturer puts tags and labels on their products stating how good the item is which basically translates to pure bullshit!!!

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
Re: Winter gloves
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2011, 12:32:53 pm »
spada enforcer. have survived 2 years/about 20k miles, but now need a new pair for this winter as the leather on the fingers has worn through. bloody good value IMO if a teeny bit bulky.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2011, 02:16:04 pm »
I've got a pair of Spada Enforcers as well, good gloves although I haven't done as many miles in them as Gringo. As said, they're abit bulky but so are most winter gloves. They're pretty warm and have a squeegee strip on the back of one of the thumbs to clear your visor in the rain. I bought them because of the ride recommendation:

Under £60

Over £60
thou shalt not kick

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2011, 09:15:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It looks like they are all made using the same materials......possibly in the same sweat-shop, so i would imagine that they are all similar in their performance.
It's probably me being being picky as i normally brave the winter wearing my summer gloves.

Rehab

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2011, 11:33:09 pm »
I got some of the Hein Gericke 3 fingered lobster type ones. Warmest gloves I've ever used. 2 winters out of them and no real wear marks on them.

Only use them when it gets really cold though, I prefer to use lighter gloves and heated grips. I'm out on the bike pretty much everyday.

The only gripe with the gloves and its a small one is that they size a little on the big side.

Just my two peneth there!

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2011, 07:31:58 am »
I have the 3 finger pathan's from HG. They are pretty good but jock winters are a bit much for them. I'm gonna buy heated glove inner liners before the winter really bites.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2011, 09:14:44 am »
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2011, 11:52:28 am »
An alternative - if you don't mind the looks fit decent handguards from something like a V-strom 650. I have & I'm still bombing around with my Summer gloves on and have yet to experience frozen hands.

Failing that, another vote for the Spada gloves

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2011, 01:55:24 pm »
I use the Oxford drybone muffs over the winter. takes about 5-10 mins to fit (less once you get used to them)
100% water proof and keeps the wind off realy well. they dont fold in on me up to about 90-100 but once much over that they do tend to fold in just a little.
they have pockets for extra hand warmer heating elements but as i have heated grips i never did bother with getting them. and then im happy to blast around with summer gloves with hands nice and toasty and dry.

they dont look great but work a treat for me.

I am due for a new pair of gloves and although i will pick up a cheap pair of summer gloves again from the BMF show i might think about the spada ones for when im on the daughters or other ppls bikes... or i just cant be arsed to fit the muffs.

Skoot34

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2011, 10:24:44 pm »
I'm a southern softy, so I wear heated gloves to keep my pinkies toasty  :b

Exo-2's to be precise:

http://www.exo2.co.uk/stormshield-heated-motorcycle-gloves-p-16.html?cPath=17_5&zenid=c736608426d5cca486b75d7d6edc6356

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2011, 01:45:48 am »

Me too, but I use the Gerbing heated gloves :)

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2011, 12:47:04 pm »
I use the Oxford drybone muffs over the winter. takes about 5-10 mins to fit (less once you get used to them)
100% water proof and keeps the wind off realy well. they dont fold in on me up to about 90-100 but once much over that they do tend to fold in just a little.
they have pockets for extra hand warmer heating elements but as i have heated grips i never did bother with getting them. and then im happy to blast around with summer gloves with hands nice and toasty and dry.

they dont look great but work a treat for me.

I am due for a new pair of gloves and although i will pick up a cheap pair of summer gloves again from the BMF show i might think about the spada ones for when im on the daughters or other ppls bikes... or i just cant be arsed to fit the muffs.

:agree 100% on this.   If I ever get back on the road again with my current financial state,  I'm fitting muffs.   Last time I rode in Winter my fingers were so cold I almost cried at times.    No fun at all.
Head Focced

Just Anne

• foc-u masterbaker
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Monster 821
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 November 2011, 06:40:54 pm »
I've got excellent winter gloves, they're black with red bits on, can't tell you what make they are as I can't bloody well find them :'(

Also got heated inners, the sort with wires on the back of your hands, but find they get too hot for comfort so have to switch them on and off ever so often. This is tricky because the switch on the wire is fiddly with gloves on. So if you're able to try the gloves before you buy, check out the switch with your gloves on.

Anne
A girl can dream can't she?

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2011, 11:13:36 pm »
I went into Fowlers the other week for some new gloves and wifey wasnt stinting me so I wasnt looking in the bargain bin...... but I couldnt find one pair that felt comfortable and not tight or loose

Have to stick with my old Akito gloves but they are getting a little tatty around the edges now and the black leather is brown
59 going on 57

theboydougie

• Fuds or spuds he ain't fussy
    Jan 09
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Hover Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
I bought Alpinestar (insert model number here?????) ones. They've done me 5 winters of every day riding and have worn very well. Toasty warm during scottish winters and 100% dry every time. they cost £99 quid at the time..

They're shot now, but that's mainly because I can feel the cold on my finger tips now..

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2011, 03:57:03 pm »

Have to stick with my old Akito gloves but they are getting a little tatty around the edges now and the black leather is brown

looked at my gloves today, knew they were Akito's but couldn't remember if they had a name!! it says Magnum on them!! but then I bought them from ex wifes catalogue about 15 years ago, will see how they go & how much more riding I will do this year before I decide to retire them!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
I think that the problem with cheap gloves is that they don't contain goretex just a 'waterproof' fabric so when you hands sweat on long journeys or you put them on with damp hands the moisture has nowhere to go, so they end up feeling colder than a breathable fabric.

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2011, 10:10:35 pm »
I think that the problem with cheap gloves is that they don't contain goretex just a 'waterproof' fabric so when you hands sweat on long journeys or you put them on with damp hands the moisture has nowhere to go, so they end up feeling colder than a breathable fabric.

I agree 100% with that statement. How can retailers get away with false claims on their products? I bought these  http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/on-road-gear-motorcycle-gloves-winter-gloves/1574-duchinni-scorpion-motorcycle-gloves.html#descriptiontab

and  tbh i'm not impressed at all with them, after a couple of hours riding my hands are feeling cold and clammy.  :( Gonna have to write a letter to Santa for a proper pair.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 November 2011, 11:20:43 pm »
 I bike all year round and have been through a fair few brands over the years but for the last 5 years or so I've been happy with Held gloves, I have a lovely pair of their leather summer gloves which cost a fortune but will probably last forever, their winter gloves seem equally well made but are much cheaper, I use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELD-Gelo-Winter-Waterproof-Leather-Gloves-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Visor-Wiper-/390351079589?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Gloves&var=&hash=item99ad5b1579

-and they show no signs of falling apart. The trick with winter gloves is their windchill protection and insulation and these are very good. The longest ride I did with them was 340 miles Lizard peninsular to Essex on new years day with a frosty wind and temperature near zero. My hands weren't toasty, but wern't freezing either and they never ever get cold on my 38 mile commute in. 'As good as it gets I think. Good price too!

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2011, 06:53:31 pm »
Alpinestars all weather summer gloves for me. Heated grips and guards when its a bit cold and Oxford muffs for those few weeks when it gets really cold darn sarf.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 December 2011, 02:04:36 am »

Exo-2's to be precise:

http://www.exo2.co.uk/stormshield-heated-motorcycle-gloves-p-16.html?cPath=17_5&zenid=c736608426d5cca486b75d7d6edc6356

Did they come with a controller and mains battery connection mate?
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Tagsantite

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 December 2011, 04:44:31 am »
Spada Airwave.
Good enough except for the coldest of weather.

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 December 2011, 02:03:32 pm »
As  some of you I wear Hein Gericke lobster gloves and yes they are a bit big but that allows me to use their silk inner gloves (£12.99) when it gets colder. Along with HG heated grips and Oxford bar muffs for January ride outs. Had the bar muffs for years  as I don't need them that often,and they're a doddle to fit and waterproof.

Taksi
Taksi

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 December 2011, 05:19:28 pm »
Just refitted the Oxford muffs on mine useing the barend bolt mod.
I have renthal bars with oberon barends so just made a small hole in each muff at the right point and fitted longer bolts for the barends (went from 65mm to 100mm but this was overkill 80mm was enough) then used a large penny washer on the outside of the muff with a small washer and a rubber washer (rubber one to protect the paint on the bar ends) on the inside of the muff. took 10 mins in all and i tested at local track (honest officer) and held fine at 120mph and even at 140+ although they got a bit thinner and touched the top of my hand they didnt touch the levers.
also its cold ,wet and windy out tonight and even at those speed i didnt even get a chill on my hands and i tested without gloves at all to check for coldness.

i did find i have the fuzzygoth mirror mod and the muffs do show in the mirrors a bit, but not to intrusive.
still think muffs or guards are one of the best things around to keep hands warm.