Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:31 pm

Author Topic: Scratches  (Read 5396 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Scratches
« on: 18 April 2013, 07:07:06 pm »
Today I removed the givi rack from my bike which I've been meaning to do for ages and fitted a new side panel in near perfect condition as the old one was damaged by someone. Everything was going fine, I noticed the rack had scratched the old panel that I was keeping on the other side pretty deeply so not sure what I'm going to do with that yet. Anyway stupidly I managed to get super glue on both the new and remaining panel just in front of where the grab rail mounts.  :'(

I tried to quickly get it off before it dried with a cloth but that just stuck a load of fibres to it and made it worse. I then used wd-40, soapy water and loads of elbow grease, eventually it came off with a small amount of carb cleaner and nail varnish remover. I knew this would damage the lacquer but couldn't have the mess that was on there left there. It's a very tiny area on each side and not really visible unless the bike is in shadow but it will really bug me if I don't try and sort it. I may just paint or replace the old panel anyway as it has deep scratches from where the rack has rubbed it over the years, but are there any products that will reduce the scratches in the lacquer of the new panel I put on today?

I've seen this topic, but that was on metal tanks and this is the plastic rear side fairings so will I need different products. I can take some photos tomorrow and the area is very small either side but will annoy me.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7073.msg67247.html#msg67247

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Scratches
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2013, 07:24:03 pm »
Just for future reference, i use Super Glue quite often at work, but i can't stand the stuff, and i find the only thing it bonds well on quickly is skin!!
But i've always got a tube of Super Glue Remover on hand for those little accidents that tend to happen, it literally dissolves it into a mush in seconds.
It's only a couple of quid on Ebay, but worth every penny.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2013, 07:41:49 pm »
Hi Yamer-92

Is it a singular scratch or like my car in the link?
Is it definatly lacquer and not undercoat you are seeing?
How deep does it go? test by running your fingernail across scratch if it stops you solidly you may need a different technique.

In all when working with polishing scratches out you are removing more lacquer so tyou need to be gentle handed and work in the direction of the scratch. if like my car use the autoglym as in the link as this is mor abrasive yet not as some others out their. Post up that pic so I can have a look but the steps in the link are how to polish out. An alternative is a lacqure pen (can get from halfords) for singular quick fix or may need a sanding if deep.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2013, 08:14:45 pm »
Yeah I wont be making that mistake again darrsi, really annoyed with myself. I couldn't clearly see the pics in your link but it looked like your car, not a singular scratch but a collection of small scratches from where I've dug in to get rid of the glue. I've tried to attach a picture that I just took, didn't come out as well as I hoped but it's like that on both sides.

« Last Edit: 18 April 2013, 08:16:58 pm by Yamazer-92 »

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2013, 08:51:10 pm »
Yep they are the same mate. You will need to do the whole pannel as it will stand out but concentrate on that one area but keep lifting off and checking so you do not go through the lacquer. I can not stress this enough work in the direction of the scratch not across it as it cause crisscross scratches which is a pian in the ass to remove  :eek 

Hope you get it sorted and I guess you will end up doing rest of the bike.

Daz

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2013, 09:20:09 pm »
Right okay well I can do it on the bike if I remove the seat and passenger grab rail. Could you please list the exact products you used? Would I be able get them in halfords because I can get discount there. The pic is of the new panel, other than those scratches there are no others so I will work on that one to remove them. The other panel is old and has some very deep scratches so will probably be easier to get a new panel. My tank and centre rear panel are in mostly good condition but have a few scratches too, can I use these products on them as well as that would be great if they work?

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2013, 10:41:43 pm »
I would practice on the pannel you are replacing as this will help with how much preasure to place on them when applying the products. It may just sort it out as well.

Megs Clay Kit I always use this first if paint work needs doing or rewax
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_922503_langId_-1_categoryId_255233

This is AutoGlym Paint Renovator (a little more abrasive) it does similar job as Meguiar's Paint Cleaner. You could use either if you do not want both.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=172339&catalogId=10151

Megs Paint Cleaner
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199031_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

Megs Car Polish
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199087_langId_-1_categoryId_165527#tab1

Megs Carnauba Wax
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_200371_langId_-1_categoryId_165527#tab1

Megs Soft Foam applicators any will do the job
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=201965&catalogId=10151

Gentle at first and follow the directions on the tin but work in the direction of the scratch. Before and after pics would be good.

Good luck

Daz

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2013, 11:19:40 pm »
Thank you very much for that, I will get the clay and 3 other Megs products that come in the stages and give the autoglym a miss. I'll take some better photos tomorrow and then get started and show you the finished product for anyone that's interested. I hope it's fairly straight forward as I havent ever done anything like this but as you say I will start on the broken panel I've replaced as a tester. Thanks again for your help and fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow  :)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2013, 01:15:36 am »
Thank you very much for that, I will get the clay and 3 other Megs products that come in the stages and give the autoglym a miss. I'll take some better photos tomorrow and then get started and show you the finished product for anyone that's interested. I hope it's fairly straight forward as I havent ever done anything like this but as you say I will start on the broken panel I've replaced as a tester. Thanks again for your help and fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow  :)

Always keep the clay and pannel wet. If you run the palm of your hand over the pannel while dry before claying it will feel like sand paper but after it should be smooth as glass and all contaniments gone.

Daz

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2013, 09:09:13 pm »
Well I bought the stuff today (not cheap!) and gave it a go. Reasonably happy with the results although for the price I was expecting a bit better but has got rid of most of the scratches and you can't see them at all in direct sunlight. Here are some pics if it will let me.
Before:

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2013, 09:17:52 pm »
After:

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2013, 09:24:35 pm »
The pics dont really do either the initial damage or the effects of the product justice. It was really gunked up with glue residue and scratched by me being a muppet, the tank has had a big scratch in it since I bought the bike too so thought I would give that a go. Whilst I was really shocked at how expensive the product was, even at 3 for 2 in halfords, it has done a very good job. The paint work feels brilliantly smooth now and really shines a lot brighter in the sunlight. The scratches for the most part have been removed, the deeper ones have remained but are much much harder to see now and only really show up if the bike is in the shade. All in all I would recommend the product, my dad is having a go on his sv this weekend which has a few scratches especially in the tank from his tank bag. Cheers again dbfazer for the advice, there was a product for £10 that was allegedly a scratch remover but I thought I better not chance it, this way with the polish and wax the whole bike looks great and should last better. Overall result 4/5.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2013, 09:36:29 pm »
Looks good,

Nice flake in the paint too, gives it a good sparkle to it.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2013, 09:41:40 pm »
Yamazer

What I can see you have done a fantastic job. You know where the scratches were and will be critical but honestly mate brill job by hand. It says alot if your dad is going to follow the procedure. Practice makes perfect as they say. Good to have helped

Daz

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
Thanks guys  :)

Yeah I was pretty happy with it, I am a perfectionist and forget that its a 13 year old bike ridden in all weathers by myself and probably the previous owner so with that in mind the result was great. My mum saw me polishing it for hours and now thinks I have some form of autism haha!

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2013, 10:34:07 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

All foccers are obsessed. Welcome to the club  ;)

Daz

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2013, 10:46:17 pm »
If you want to meet others with OCD then join us at http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.