Date: 01-06-24  Time: 08:18 am

Author Topic: Suspension upgrade on the cheap?  (Read 2086 times)

domtrails

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tenere 600 old but great
    • View Profile
Suspension upgrade on the cheap?
« on: 15 April 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
I am thinking of uprating my suspension after I have done nearly everything else I want to do to my bike but I need to find a cheap way to do this so I ask - for the front what are recomended aftermarket springs to put in ? For the rear any sugestions would be good.
quick snap to introduce my bike
quick snap to introduce my bike
Do it once and do it well

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension upgrade on the cheap?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2013, 05:22:45 pm »
That exhaust.... Is it from a car? Its foccin huuuuuuuuuuge. Use a standard fzs1000 rear shock. U can get em on here or fleabay for bout 50-70 ish.  Not sure bout front but i'm sure sum1 will post up soon. Crackin lookin bike mate.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2013, 07:30:38 pm »
Yeah, i like that a lot, nice work.  :b
What exhaust is that?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

domtrails

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2013, 07:34:44 pm »
Its a rather nice exhaust I think - it is made by a company that makes car exhausts though  :rollin The angle of the pic is not too flattering but I will try to snap a few more with a better camera. What you got on yours mate?
What sort of difference does the 1000 rear suspension give, I have a few springs and outfits from various bikes and thought about changing some over but the rear is not my worry the front is what I would like to stiffen up as she is bouncing at the front when on a decent lean at speed and I have had a few unnerving moments on some of the twisties around here this winter.

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2013, 10:46:43 pm »
A really nice looking bike you've got there, which air filters are they? Also what sort of difference did they make to the performance?

Will
Fazers at the Ready.........hahahaaaa........

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2013, 10:50:05 pm »
which air filters are they? Also what sort of difference did they make to the performance?

Will

Have you made some jetting changes, had it set up on a dyno? Does it run OK? I'm planning on fitting pod filters on mine so any set info would be greatly appreciated.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

domtrails

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2013, 06:56:14 am »
I had already done a fair amount of work on her before we fell on a dusty corner late last year. So I decided to rip off the plastics and take a rattle can to her and give her the TZR look.
The final transmission I changed and the carbs had been fiddled with a while ago when I changed the exhaust and put a K&N in the air box so she was putting out almost 106bhp 18months back.
I ripped out the air box and put in the cone filters (sorry I dont remember the make, my local mechanic ordered them for me he is much better than a bike parts shop and cheaper) but yes had to put in some more jets (a whole lot of work I give thanks to mr Haynes for helping me achieve) She runs sweet and fast, sounds incredible but needs a while to warm up and sucks on pertol rather more than before.
I will stick up some pics asap - If i can stick a vid up I would let you hear her.
She can take out a Street triple on acceleration and corners just as sweet but I really want to stiffen up the suspension  :b

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2013, 11:04:01 am »
Wow, is that 106bhp at the crank or at the rear wheel? Impressive numbers either way!

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2013, 01:27:02 pm »
Are you able to give specifics on jets sizes, needle heights, etc?

Does she sun smooth or do you have any flat spots?
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

domtrails

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2013, 09:00:26 pm »
Mail me and I will send you the jet sizes, needle hights and carb balancing was a whole different story it took me a whole afternoon and I dont have the details written down it was just patience and a whole lot of adjusting.