Date: 22-06-24  Time: 11:23 am

Author Topic: Painful Bleeding Nipples  (Read 6181 times)

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Painful Bleeding Nipples
« on: 10 April 2013, 06:14:58 pm »
Was bleeding my rear brake the other day with just a clear hose and it's not too bad, but front brakes are a bit of a pain. I know there are kits to make it easier, but has anyone tried the auto bleed nipples? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130674710059

They have a check valve built in so all you do is open the nipple and pump. I'm also asking because I successfully sheared off one of my front caliper nipples so need to replace it anyway. Anyone know the size bleed nipple for the FZS600?

(Side note: I'm also upgrading my lines and came across braided SS goodridge lines for cheap here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360597321426 , reason being is they only have the "clear" colour. I'm a vain bastard and will be paying £30 so I can get the colour I want, haha.)

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
Re: Painful Bleeding Nipples
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2013, 07:52:00 pm »
I have no technical input to impart - but I think you should win the award for the best tread title - oh how I snorted!
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2013, 08:13:56 pm »
Are you putting pressure on the brake lever? If not then put pressure on the lever and open the nipple, then close the nipple before the lever reaches the end of it's travel.

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2013, 08:19:01 pm »
Yeah I am, I've bled them fine, it was just hassle. But as I have to replace one of the nipples anyway as it's snapped, I thought I may aswell try these auto bleed nipples, just not sure on the size. Been looking around and it seems it might be M7 x 1.00mm

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2013, 08:22:48 pm »
Yeah I am, I've bled them fine, it was just hassle. But as I have to replace one of the nipples anyway as it's snapped, I thought I may aswell try these auto bleed nipples, just not sure on the size. Been looking around and it seems it might be M7 x 1.00mm

In all honesty, I'm not sure I'd want anything that could possibly release under hard braking on my brake systems, but that might well just me being paranoid! In fairness bleeding isn't too bad, just get a tube, stick it on the nipple, dunk the other end in brake fluid and start pumping, the fluid and air goes down out the pipe and nothing gets back up - it's basically an auto bleeder without the chance for air to get into the system!

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2013, 08:38:05 pm »
I'm not sure how a plastic tube equates to basically an auto bleeder? Especially as air can quite easily go back up if you don't close the nipple after each pump.

Also, why do you think the auto bleed nipple would be anymore likely to unscrew itself while braking than a normal bleed nipple?

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2013, 08:55:20 pm »
It depends on the t-shirt but a plaster is usually helpful
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2013, 09:16:25 pm »
I'm not sure how a plastic tube equates to basically an auto bleeder? Especially as air can quite easily go back up if you don't close the nipple after each pump.

Also, why do you think the auto bleed nipple would be anymore likely to unscrew itself while braking than a normal bleed nipple?

I think the emphasis was on the valve on the inside failing. But you raise the good point that you would surely have to loosen the bleed nipple to even get any fluid out regardless :)

Sorry I can't be of any more help :s

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2013, 10:59:42 pm »
Best thread title ever! hahaha!  :rollin

I would just use normal nipples mate. The fancy ones are just something else to go wrong.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2013, 11:57:13 pm »
 :lol :lol  must admit first post i went to :lol :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSX1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2013, 08:56:44 am »
In the main they work and I don't know of any failing in the valve, that said I wouldn't recommend them.  Their weak spot isn't the valve but the thread or rather the sealant that is applied to them which will after a limited number of openings will fail and allow air to be drawn into the system some I've heard of not work out of the packet!

Later

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2013, 09:22:20 am »
Cheers, I was wondering about the sealant crap that was shown in the picture, think I'll stay clear of them then and pick up some normal ones, although I still wouldn't mind knowing the size bleed nipple I need.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2013, 01:03:57 pm »
It depends on the t-shirt but a plaster is usually helpful

:rollin

Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.