Date: 02-06-24  Time: 03:02 am

Author Topic: Big Singles ...lol  (Read 11954 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Re: Big Singles ...lol
« Reply #25 on: 12 April 2013, 07:24:10 pm »
Albert, without being narrow minded etc I really don't like the look of the old pegaso and funduro. All of the pics that people have posted so far have been exactly the kind of style I'm after, aggressive looking and tall. Cheers for letting me know what the engine is like though long term because they will all be reasonably similar I'm sure, so it's good to know your long term experiences.

Annoyingly at the moment there doesn't actually seem to be that many of the one's I am after about for sale anywhere, let alone close to me. Something I was wondering was what is the performance like on these bikes in comparison to the Fzs 600? I know around town etc there is no contest, but I was doing top gear roll ons the other day on the Fazer from 40-60 and 60-80, something I have heard these big singles are amazing for and the Fazer didn't take that long at all to be honest. Plus where the singles will call it a day the Fzs is just getting started, but then I'm back to how often do I even get into the powerband daily riding situation. I remember doing a top gear roll on from 40-80 against my mates bandit 600 once and totally destroyed him, I wonder how a big 650 single could cope in comparison.

Do they handle a lot better than the fazer too because I think it handles very well in comparison to my old GS500 and other bikes I've ridden. The main plus points I can see currently for the supermotos are looks (although the fazer only looks weird from the front if I am totally honest, all other angles lovely), low speed performance and day to day grin factor, better suspension for the poor roads here, better height for myself so better comfort and road presence, better mpg (marginal), literally half the insurance cost which I was amazed about, less maintenance, less possible parts to go wrong so cheaper to run and better handling?
Oh yeah and T140, that CCM looks mental aha not sure about the colour though  :lol

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 April 2013, 08:17:25 pm »
Are CCM actually any good because there seems to be mixed reviews on most of their bikes? Just noticed there is a 644 Dual sport not massively far away going for £1200 on ebay. These reviews look promising.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews78417.html#Reviews

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 April 2013, 08:24:59 pm »
Ccm all the way mate! They use 2 different engines, either suzuki or rotax. The rotax make aurguably slightly more power, but the suzukis are more sought after for the reliability factor. Go for a 404, they are lighter and eisier to pick up should you drop it. The plastics are bendy and cheap as chips to replace, the throttle is like an on/off switch for pointing skywards once you remove the tps from the carb. They are (were) built in britain in smallish numbers using top spec parts and are generally taller than most enduros. Wp suspension as standard, talon wheels and excel rims look the tits. Expect to totally change your riding style, using the back brake to leave massive L shaped skidmarks outside my house every time I came home reminded me of my childhood on a bmx and its a blast when the usual route to work gets boring and you decide to suddenly go up a bank or across a field just cos you can!

jon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 April 2013, 09:12:35 pm »
Theres a picture of mine in my album, but im buggered if I can copy the link to it on my tablet. Anyone help?

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 April 2013, 09:46:22 pm »
Tada  :lol

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 April 2013, 02:51:53 pm »
I've had loads of thumpers over the years....I love 'em. I'm very much in the XT camp (hence my username).....though I did have a DR650 at one time and that was very good as well.

jon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 April 2013, 09:24:33 pm »
Thats the one! Cheers

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 April 2013, 08:16:45 am »
I had a CCM R30 (650) all black. It was great fun on the B roads and about towns, high riding position was good. Only down side was the plank of wood they called a seat, but hey, you don't buy one of these for going all day long.
I'll try and pop a photo up later.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 April 2013, 08:38:27 am »
When i say reliable i mean it never let me down as its the suzuki DR650 engine, carbon can co can rejetted and 1 tooth less on the front sprocket and if you look at the pic of mine you will see the seat has been lowered slightly, makes it flatter and more comfortable and looks better as it follows the shape of the plastics on the bike.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 April 2013, 09:00:13 am »
IMG 1307
IMG 1307
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 April 2013, 09:34:56 am »
IMG 1307
IMG 1307

I do like the looks of these ccm bad boys, i wonder would they be any good as a commuter,winter warrior & small distance hooner,it's a big ask but i may get saving,was always looking at a trailie but dont reckon ill actually do any green laning.

Awsome! 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 April 2013, 10:22:05 am »
In your position I'd get one of the later XT660's with FI.....they totally outperform the old school thumpers in every area!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 April 2013, 11:07:19 am »
Value for money wise-Is the 660x the way forward or a normal 660 modded to suit???

Was looking at them on bike trader last night,wee bit pricey but very nice indeed, i still want an old dominator but they are old & wont be as fun.

My fazers a keeper, but not for the rain,i want it preserved,somethin else thats fun & easy to clean to keep me riding all year round is whati need.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 April 2013, 12:45:49 pm »
Value for money wise-Is the 660x the way forward or a normal 660 modded to suit???

Was looking at them on bike trader last night,wee bit pricey but very nice indeed, i still want an old dominator but they are old & wont be as fun.

My fazers a keeper, but not for the rain,i want it preserved,somethin else thats fun & easy to clean to keep me riding all year round is whati need.

I had a Dommie, if you get a good one they are a blast, as ever condition and service history is the thing to look for, I bought mine 1997 reg, 15k miles, fsh and in great condition for £1400 so they are out there, trouble is big traillies are popular nowadays and fetching premium bucks!

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 April 2013, 02:01:27 pm »

There is no other 660 apart from 20 year old Teneres....which will be well past their best.

The 600 is a solid old workhorse, but like all the old school thumpers you'll find it pretty uninspiring performance wise.

The new 660's are much, much better.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 April 2013, 03:25:41 pm »
Well with all this info I've added a few more possible choices to my list  :) . I'm currently just doing a lot of research into each bike for their good and bad points on the internet, watching a few on ebay too to see what kind of prices they go for. Someone got an absolute bargain on a ccm dual sport on ebay today for £1100, looked in great condition and had low mileage if I could get something like that for that price I would be more than happy. I have about a month to wait as I'm going to let the insurance run out on my Fazer so I get the 4 years no claims under my belt (touch wood) and then I'll put it through its mot and start looking at going to actually buy some bikes.

For now, the ccm has actually taken the favorite spot. I prefer the dual sport personally in terms of looks and the fact if I get spare wheels have to option of green laning which I think the R30 can't due to having a short swing arm. The mz baghira is still up there too but they seem quite rare. As previously mentioned the XT is a bit pricey for me and honestly I've heard a lot of bad reviews about them although if you have had good experiences then that's great. Quite amazed how much interest this topic has brought in, also at the fact some others are considering getting some similar bikes too.

One last question, as far as shorter service intervals goes on the ktm's (not too interested, bit pricey) and husqvarna's (actually quite interested) what do these services involve, anything too demanding or pricey? Or literally just oil / filter changes? I have heard the husky cam chains are a bit naff so I'm guessing they need seeing too, none of these bikes are the full fat race bred things like Husabergs etc though so I think they are still fairly reliable for day to day use and have that bit of extra oomph.

largefriendsapp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 September 2016, 10:05:07 am »
can big beautiful women play the fazer well?

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 September 2016, 10:10:45 am »
Had a FT500 Honda, piece of junk, no go, no stop, only thing it did was introduce me to high mid corner speed, basically if you scrubbed off to much speed you got left behind.
My LC125 I took my test on wasn't much slower, had it for about a month when I traded it in for a VF500
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!