Date: 23-06-24  Time: 03:46 am

Author Topic: Oh shite....  (Read 5577 times)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Re: Oh shite....
« Reply #25 on: 06 April 2013, 10:41:56 am »
I'd buy into that MOTs are for your own benefit except that....

(a) I actually don't need an MOT to know whats good for my own benefit. I have a brain and free will to know what could kill or hurt me or others.... so I don't need to pay for that privilege.

(b) MOT's won't stop me or Padraig's cousin if our free will or mindset are geared against caring about our safety, other peoples safety, or the law itself. How many people have killed/maimed themselves or others by not wearing seat belts, drink driving, driving dangerous vehicles without MOTs???.....quite a lot, i'm afraid.

(c) So I conform to keep my vehicle in an extremely good condition and to live up to my responsibilities. I go to an awful expense in doing so and then pay them for the privilege. But then I find that they don't lead by example and fail in their responsibilities. They leave roads in an appalling state that might kill or maim me and that just makes a mockery that MOTs "are for my safety benefit" when they won't use the money I give them to ensure that the surface I travel in, is in  a safe and road worthy condition, just like they want my bike to be in. If you can't see the scam or the wrong in that...then so be it. I would pay for MOTs without grudges if that money was spent to upkeep our roads. We have MOTs on cars here and Road Tax too and our main roads are now like driving on the Kyber Pass!!....and our back roads??.....have a look at this...its only down the road from were I live. Imagine going into that coming home at night.
Swimming in Ireland's Biggest Pothole

We have to agree to disagree.  :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 April 2013, 11:50:37 am »
You keep talking about yourself, but i'm talking about a benefit for everyone.
As i said earlier a lot of people on here have a genuine interest and passion about their bike and want to learn to do their own maintenance, i'd imagine primarily for financial reasons because as you well know bike mechanics aren't exactly wallet friendly, but also because it's a learning curve and a good feeling to be hands on and know exactly what's been done to your own machine.
But the majority of owners, especially car owners, haven't got a clue about what's right or wrong with engines or parts and only get the hint when things stop working completely, fail badly or in this case parts drop off (no offence meant Padraig).
So that's where the MOT is a handy tool for the less educated out there, to give them a bit of reassurance that they are riding a half decent, roadworthy bike.  :smokin

MAYBE they could even use the extra revenue generated from bike users to fill some of those bloody great holes too?
Although i must say that pothole's a tad bigger than the one's around my way, you could take a bus out with that.  :eek
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 April 2013, 11:56:25 am »
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you personal should have to have an MOT, but I can't imagine every single person having the same mindset as yourself to keep the bike in good working order. There has to be just as many people who ride around until their bike quite literally falls apart and this is the justification for having some sort of system to make this illegal and to try and keep these vehicles off the roads. Unfortunately, everyone suffers

Having said that, I don't begrudge the MOT's - I just begrudge the former owners of my vehicles who haven't kept them up to scratch! To be honest, I can't complain too much since most of my vehicles have been older than me in recent years!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 April 2013, 05:42:21 pm »
Bollocks to that....I'm well capable and responsible at looking after my bike. It's only another scam to make money for the government in the long run.
You maybe, but I see plenty of people (cars and bikes) day in, day out, that can't/don't.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 April 2013, 05:48:20 pm »

Having said that, I don't begrudge the MOT's - I just begrudge the former owners of my vehicles who haven't kept them up to scratch!

Looks like the MOTs work a treat, so.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 April 2013, 05:49:53 pm »
Bollocks to that....I'm well capable and responsible at looking after my bike. It's only another scam to make money for the government in the long run.
You maybe, but I see plenty of people (cars and bikes) day in, day out, that can't/don't.

Once again...I guess MOTs have worked a treat if u have a lot of cars bikes day in, day out, that are not up to scratch.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 April 2013, 07:05:46 pm »
Well if the eu beurocrats (sp?) get their way packie, you'll be getting a mot type thing soon enough!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 April 2013, 02:11:27 pm »
Well if the eu beurocrats (sp?) get their way packie, you'll be getting a mot type thing soon enough!

You need to do your homework first before making such assumptions. Motorcyclists account for 2% of road users in Ireland. So as much as you brits would like us to suffer as much too, I just can't see it happen because there would be a savage loss in setting up and maintaining MOTs in Ireland for bikes and getting the skilled people to do it. Jeez...I'm living in the 2nd biggest city here, and there is not a qualified mechanic (on paper) in it!!!

You see...it just supports my view on MOTs. If MOTs was all about safety, it would have been set up here years ago regardless of the 2%. But this is all about making cash....and they would lose their hole, so its a no-no for now.  :D

« Last Edit: 07 April 2013, 02:12:45 pm by packie »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2013, 02:46:15 pm »
@ packie Just out of curiosity, what's the score when you buy a used bike from a dealer, do they just sell you a bike "as seen" and price accordingly, or would they  give it a full going over.
In the UK they'd MOT it for a year before release, but i'm not sure what sort of guarantee you'd get in Ireland?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 April 2013, 03:34:36 pm »

You need to do your homework first before making such assumptions. Motorcyclists account for 2% of road users in Ireland. So as much as you brits would like us to suffer as much too, I just can't see it happen because there would be a savage loss in setting up and maintaining MOTs in Ireland for bikes and getting the skilled people to do it. Jeez...I'm living in the 2nd biggest city here, and there is not a qualified mechanic (on paper) in it!!!

You see...it just supports my view on MOTs. If MOTs was all about safety, it would have been set up here years ago regardless of the 2%. But this is all about making cash....and they would lose their hole, so its a no-no for now.  :D

Well, I aint going to do your homework for you fella. If you're not aware if what is going on in the EU, with regard to the Super MOT, that's your problem. Go have a google. None of the national governments seem to want it (certainly the UK govt doesn't see a need for it), and the Council of member govts has stated that bikes should be excluded, but so far the EU bureaucracy is still pressing ahead.

If you want to talk about making assumptions, look at yourself first. I could not give a rats arse whether you have a MOT in Ireland.

Is it all about making money? Well EU track record would suggest it probably is - but that doesn't mean it won't happen, unless you wake up and smell the shite that is potentially coming your way, and start to do something about it, as MAG and FEMA are doing.

Damn it, there I've gone and started your homework for you.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 April 2013, 04:55:50 pm »
Wel this has come up so many times over here, as u may wel know out car testing service here is called the NCT and our commercial vehicle is the DOE but the government has looked into putting a test in for bikes, but they came up with a figure that only about 2% of vehicles on Irish roads a motorcycles and the cost of putting equipment into the Nct centres for testing them and the cost if training the staff would be collosal, so much so that even if every bike went through this the money that would be spent on this would be got back for about 15-20 years of doing the test

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 April 2013, 04:59:12 pm »
All well and good reillypadraig, but it will mean sod all if the beurocrats get there way :wall

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 April 2013, 01:22:06 am »
If you want to talk about making assumptions, look at yourself first. I could not give a rats arse whether you have a MOT in Ireland.

Hmmm...you gave enuff of a rats arse to respond to me twice about MOTs that might happen to Ireland....go figure that one out for your next homework assignment!  :lol

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 April 2013, 01:29:57 am »
@ packie Just out of curiosity, what's the score when you buy a used bike from a dealer, do they just sell you a bike "as seen" and price accordingly, or would they  give it a full going over.
In the UK they'd MOT it for a year before release, but i'm not sure what sort of guarantee you'd get in Ireland?

The norm is that they will sell it "as is" if the bike is a bit rough. They will just do a service and probably give a 3 month warranty on the motor and gearbox.

If the bike is fairly clean, the will put what is needed like brake pads, tyres, full service, and will try and get as high a price for it. Again, you will get a 3 month warranty, but the length of time on a warranty can vary.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 April 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
Same up here packie, local dealer does 3months 6 & year warranties depending on quality, also just trade sales on bikes with a few problems but will help fix if major problem occurs that's not your fault

john 087

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 April 2013, 04:31:10 pm »
. There is approx 52000 bikes in the republic, approx 4500 are vintage bikes that are pre80s so there wouldn’t be tested. Of the rest of the bikes approx there is only about 40% taxed, not saying people are driving without tax, as the fine is as dear as the tax there were brought in the boom times and people  are not using them. From what I can see there isn’t enough bikes here to make testing pay.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 April 2013, 04:38:44 pm »
I didn't say it made sense :wall when did the eu ever make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 April 2013, 11:30:13 am »