Date: 16-06-24  Time: 05:00 am

Author Topic: Unknown Connectors and Removing Datatool  (Read 5936 times)

Thorn

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Unknown Connectors and Removing Datatool
« on: 03 April 2013, 03:28:18 am »
Hi, in the process of cleaning up the revolting mess one of the previous owners decided to make of the harness, I came across 2 connectors on the harness that aren't connected to anything. I've looked at the wiring diagram for the 2002 model but can't seem to find them on it. Can anyone else identify these?

The first connector is near the battery compartment, adjacent to the fusebox, it appears to be shorted with a metal plate:

http://thoronir.net/photo/Fazer_Connector0.jpg

The second connector is at the left side of the taillight, next to the inline fuse for the rear indicators, and it appears to be capped:
(The one on the right)

http://thoronir.net/photo/Fazer_Connector1.jpg

Beyond this, does anyone know how to remove the datatool system? Apparently the original fobbed key snapped many owners ago, and someone (Yamaha garage apparently) made a completely half arsed attempt at disabling it. They disabled the alarm alright, but they also made a particularly disgusting mess of the harness which I'd like to clean up, aswell as regain the space that ugly datatool box takes.

Here's a picture of the messy wiring harness, the actual datatool alarm is just off-screen to the right.

http://thoronir.net/photo/Fazer_Datatool_Mess.jpg

P.S: Is there a way to insert images here with img tags, and set them to a fixed (smaller) size? The standard bbcode method doesn't seem to work.

Edit: So the first connector is actually the sidestand plug, still looking for the second one though.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2013, 01:15:48 pm by Thorn »

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Connectors and Removing Datatool
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2013, 08:11:33 am »
The first pic looks like trickle charge cable. The second looks like fuse fer turn signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Thorn

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2013, 01:17:48 pm »
The first pic looks like trickle charge cable. The second looks like fuse fer turn signal.

Are you sure? the wiring diagram seems to make no mention of a trickle charge connector, the only Black+Black plug I can find would be the sidestand switch (which one of the previous owners has removed).

The item on the left of the second image with "Turn" on it is indeed the inline fuse for the rear indicators, but what's the black capped plug on the right? I can't find mention of it anywhere in the wiring diagram.

BrianP

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2013, 08:05:54 pm »
The trickle charge lead would have been added by a previous owner, it's not part of the standard wiring.
I think the black plug is to do with connecting the indicators to the alarm but I might be talking through my posterior! Try disconnecting it and see if the indicators still work.