Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:25 am

Author Topic: hpi check disaster.  (Read 6592 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: hpi check disaster.
« Reply #25 on: 31 March 2013, 04:45:36 pm »
My old R1 was a write off, and I ride it like a demon for 7 years, my tiger 1050 was a cat c, my last fazer 6 was a cat c, and my current fazer 6 was a cat d.

I've never had a problem with any of them with either insurance/ mechanical/mot, so don't worry about it. If it rides well, then you've got a bike that rides well but you know a bit of its history.

There are literally hundreds of bikes out there that have been down the road and badly damaged, then repaired without recording it. Some on here probably own and enjoy one of these bikes.

Don't be hasty to break or sell it, see it as a blank canvas and make it your own!:D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 March 2013, 04:49:25 pm »
Bloody Tapatalk double post :rolleyes

« Last Edit: 31 March 2013, 04:54:45 pm by stevierst »
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 March 2013, 05:02:36 pm »
The point about other bikes riding around without any documented history is a good point. If I manage to restore my bike, no one would be any the wiser if I wasn't to inform them about the fire. The insurance company doesn't know anything and as far as the DVLA is concerned, its just off the road at the moment...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 April 2013, 12:53:21 am »
I never did do an HPI on mine, but due to various things, I suspect mine had a Cat C worthy crash in its lifetime...

It rides fine, handles fine, and it a custom end can short of perfect. End of the line, no matter its past history, it's yours now. I have an annoying habit of buying abused bikes, and losing a fortune of each, but then again. My current Fazer now has a caring owner (despite the occasional thrash), and is perfect for me. I know it's gutting when you find flaws in your perfect machine, but sadly, flaws (things going wrong) are inevitable. It's how you live with them.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but look at it this way: Your bike had a prang 14 YEARS ago, has been on the road since (and presumably relatively extensively to boot), and is now owned by someone who will take care of it. I personally would advise the following: Forget the HPI, and ride it for 3 months. When those 3 months are up, if you still feel you want to sell it, then do. Just don't be in a hurry to cut your nose off to spite your face.
The Deef's apprentice

coupcoup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 April 2013, 07:24:06 am »
Well,  I called the dealer who had previously offered me a 2000 plate fazer with 6000 miles on it the day after i'd bought mine and told him the craic.  He looked in his wee book and said he'd give me £100 less than I paid for it if I wanted to trade it in for his one.  Now I know that it's going to cost me a few quid to exchange but I'm weighing it up.  The  dealers bike has double bubble screen, scorpion end can ( although with a dent) fender extender, smoked indicators and has 2 owners and low miles.  Last owner had it restricted and just traded in for an r6.  THe tyres are better it has 1 years MOT , will be serviced and have a parts and labour warranty.   If I choose to keep mine I'll be buying tyres fitted, servicing it thoroughly as it has done 300 miles in 3 years as per my previous thread and in the end the money will balance itself out. 

In a way I'm tempted to spend on the one I have just to teach my self a lesson!!  but then.... life is too short no?  I could buy a newer bike with fewer miles that looks better and hasn't been crashed which needs nothing for the next year and is ready to ride.....hmmmm

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 April 2013, 08:22:27 am »
I think u answered urself in that post. 100 quid mistake sounds much better to me. Light at the end of tunnel so to speek. SWOP IT MATE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 April 2013, 08:31:27 am »
No brainer, swap the bike, it's obviously a big issue to you so just do it and move on.......
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 April 2013, 08:45:03 am »
Well now, that is a most acceptable proposition. For £100 you will have peace of mind. And as you said, the money balances itself out in the long run....go for it!!

Even if you bought a new can for about £150 to replace the dented Scorpion one, that would still balance itself out too in the long run if you were selling on the bike. If you sell on the bike, I think that you are the kind of chap that would tell the next owner the history of the bike, and the other people might a HPI on the bike anyway, so you will have to sell the bike well below what you paid for it.

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 April 2013, 09:22:01 am »
Go for it and snap his hand off, from my experience you will never be completely happy with yours knowing its history

Jonesthesteam