Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:42 am

Author Topic: First fazer  (Read 1437 times)

coupcoup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
First fazer
« on: 30 March 2013, 08:01:45 am »
Hello.

I've recently bought a '99 fazer breaking every rule in the 'buying a used vehicle' book.  So now I'm retrospectively attempting to check the things i should have in the first place, hopefully with the help of the foccers on here. 

It starts fine on choke, and ticks over ok. Brakes are fine and the front sprocket nut is there although only the 9mm one.  (it's giving off a rusty glow so probably seized on).

The previous owner told me the back tyre had been on the bike for 8 years!  there is still plently of tread on it, but it's slightly flattened in the middle.  I'm guessing I should replace it.  The chain and sprockets look ok... the bike has only done 7000 miles and been garaged since 2004, but should i replace these too?

This is my first road bike.  I've had off road bikes for 20 years, my last one being and xr400r but after much research I settled on this.  I perhaps should have been more thorough when i bought it but i just saw low mileage fazer which is pretty clean, no dents, although the decals on the front fairing are missing, and one advisory on the new MOT being the throttle is slipping slightly on the handle bar.

So for starters, I'm guessing i need to change the oil and filter.  ( i've read the threads and it looks like a k and n filter and either asda of castrol 10w30)...  should the filter be changed with every oil change?

Should i also replace the coolant and brake fluid?

The dust covers on the forks are looking a bit tired although there is no leaking but i'm guessing these will need to be replaced too. what would it cost to have a garage do these?  The laquer is coming off the fork legs.  is there any cure for this other than rubbing down and re laquering? 

I want to get the basics right cause if this is a genuine bike  and turns out to be ok i plan on keeping it for a while.  I took it for a quick blast yesterday, couldn't resist, and it felt great.  It'll take a bit of getting used to the extra weight in the corners but I'm up for that.

Hopefully she's a good un but only time will tell.  All help will be greatly appreciated.... mon the foccers!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: First fazer
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2013, 08:28:19 am »
Welcome coupcoup  :)

New tyre i reckon, age alone will deteriorate it, they're a quick bike, not worth risking an oldie.
Get sprocket nut changed when you can just for peace of mind.
Fresh oil 10w/40 and definitely a K&N air filter. Get a K&N oil filter too, with the nut on the end, it makes life so much easier, and the filter needs changing every 2 oil changes.
I'd do a RadFlush if it's been sitting about, you don't really know what's in there. Use RadFlush and leave in for 2 or 3 days riding before flushing, to give it a good old rinse out. If it's left outside at night you need to wait for warmer weather, you don't want water freezing on you.
I'd guess chain and sprockets will be fine if the bike's been garaged, but give the chain a scrubbing then a good lubing after a  run when it's still warm.
Brake fluid does go off, so as you'll need to bleed it anyway you may as well change the fluid too.
Fork legs do go manky, i had mine sorted with paint stripper then resprayed and lacquered, makes a huge difference visually.
And the original dust covers do tend to get water underneath them and flake away and raise up, it looks ugly so should really be changed.
I presume you'll have original black mild steel downpipes on, i would seriously consider giving them a heat resistant paint boost, they are notorious for disintegrating from rust, keep on top of it early because they are actually a much better exhaust system than after market one's.

Other than that little lot, you should have a reasonably new bike that'll serve you well.  :thumbup

« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 08:34:30 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2013, 08:55:23 am »
Hi coupcoup, and welcome to the foc-ers forum.

I'd pretty much overhaul the bike as darsi said, better safe than sorry. Then get out there and enjoy that Fazer. They're tough little bikes!

You do need to get some piccies on here though, maybe before and after shots of the overhaul.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2013, 09:04:05 am »
number one for me would be that tyre.....flat spot will ruin what is a very capable bike...next as darrsi has said,oh and of course some piccies  :D 
One, is never going to be enough.....

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2013, 12:20:46 pm »
Hi coupcoup

Only thing I would add to what has been said is an engine flush when changing oil as its been sat for so long. But thats me.

Welcome and enjoy the bike that puts a smile on ya  :D   ;)

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2013, 07:08:28 pm »
To be honest I'd change pretty much all the consummables if it's been sitting for that long - fluids go off, as do tyres, so just to pop a list together from the above bits:

- Oil & K&N filter (10W4)
- K&N Air filter
- Coolant change (could possibly do with a flush as above)
- Brake fluid change for definite, if the hoses are the original you'd probably want to fit braided hoses as well and do it all at once - when you said the brakes are fine I'm guessing they're not binding so hopefully the caliper seals are fine
- Forks I'd definitely at the least do a service on them, change the seals for sure and the oil. if funds allow, i'd also look at getting a set of new springs matched to your weight (as that'll make a big difference on the handling front), and possibly the preload adjustable fork tops off the later models
- Change sprocket nut, and give the chain and sprockets a good clean and lube
- New tyres - definitely the rear as it'll kill the handling. Tyres that old though will probably have gone off (particularly if the bike has been sat on them) so probably the front too
- If money allows, I'd probably also look at the rear suspension, it's not amazing new (although not as bad as son) but can go off over time, so if it can be serviced (i don't own a 600 so aren't sure on that) i'd get it regassed and resprung/revalved to your weight), or if funds allow again invest in an aftermarket shock (will transform the handling, are usually  adustable, start at about £300 for a Hagon and go up to thousands depending on what you want!)

Once you've done that lot I'd personally get rid of the petrol currentlyin the tank, clean the tank out and make sure it's totally empty, and drain the carbs - you can get water sat at the bottm of the tank,particularly if it's been sitting a while. Once you've done that, new petrol and some Redex in the tank and take it for a ride, and hopefully that'll remove any fuel residue in the carbs - although hopefully there won't be a lot/if any
Once all that lots done, I'd just make sure your carbs are balanced, as they tend to slip out of sync over time :)

Once you've done all that, you should have a well handling and braking bike, freshly serviced that you'll be able to greatly enjoy over the summer, safe in the knowledge you won't need to do a single thing to it for a fair while :)

coupcoup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2013, 07:28:57 pm »
thanks for all the replies.  some food for thought there.  I'm not sure if i can afford to redo the rear shock but i'll see.  what tyres are recommended?  bridgestone fitted from the bike are around £260.  is this about right?

I've set the ball rolling.  K&N oil and air filters on their way.  got some oil and some rad flush, some gunk and lube for the chain and sourced a new sprocket nut at the dealers(not free! oh and they did say that there had hardly ever been anyone with the problem through their doors, but then i suppose in a way they would,  although the guy didn't sound like he was a die hard company mechanic).

Also got myself a haynes manual..

can't wait to get started.....

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2013, 08:09:56 pm »
I'm going for Bridgestone T30 in a couple of months but its down to personal choice. But the Bridgestone was designed for the original Fazer.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2013, 09:18:53 pm »
I'm rocking a set of BT023s at the moment - very nice Tyre and they are finally dropping in price a bit compared to last year when I bought a set :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2013, 05:15:17 pm »
thanks for all the replies.  some food for thought there.  I'm not sure if i can afford to redo the rear shock but i'll see.  what tyres are recommended?  bridgestone fitted from the bike are around £260.  is this about right?

I've set the ball rolling.  K&N oil and air filters on their way.  got some oil and some rad flush, some gunk and lube for the chain and sourced a new sprocket nut at the dealers(not free! oh and they did say that there had hardly ever been anyone with the problem through their doors, but then i suppose in a way they would,  although the guy didn't sound like he was a die hard company mechanic).

Also got myself a haynes manual..

can't wait to get started.....
Tyres are a very personal thing, I've had both the Bridgestone 23s and the Pilot Road 3s, about the same price and there's folks on here that enjoy both. My personal preference is for the Michelins as I like the way they tip a bit faster into corners, as well as the confidence I feel from them at full lean in the wet. That said, I didn't think the 23s were at all bad, far from it, I just preferred the Pilots!