Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:07 pm

Author Topic: best way for me to repair my downpipes?  (Read 4362 times)

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
best way for me to repair my downpipes?
« on: 26 March 2013, 05:22:31 pm »
i was checking over my 03 fazer today and i noticed a small hole in the downpipes. i cant really afford to buy stainless stell ones at the moment so i need to try and repair it. am i better off takeing the downpipes off and cleaning the rust off then welding it? Ive checked the nuts that hold the downpipes and all of them can be opened so i dont have to worry about any seized ones. if this is the best option will i need like a new gasket or soemthing to re seal the downpipes? also what paint would you recommend for the downppipes? thanx

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: best way for me to repair my downpipes?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2013, 05:28:11 pm »
I imagine getting them off and welded up is the best option then any VHT (very high temp) paint will do. plenty places on ebay or local diy shops you could get some.

Not sure about the gasket, i assume it would be best to replace if you can afford it as the exhaust might not seat exactly where it was before and then leak from there.

Goodluck  8)

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2013, 05:29:43 pm »
thanx for the reply. any idea if there is meant to be a small hole in these exhaust for drainage?
« Last Edit: 26 March 2013, 05:33:42 pm by aj1soad »

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2013, 05:47:50 pm »
There is a small hole in the standard pipe where the pipe joins the collector of the downpipes. Just around where the pipe is slotted for gasket.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2013, 05:49:00 pm »
I wouldn't have thought there would be a hole but I may be wrong...

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2013, 06:39:42 pm »
so i take it none of the hole shown in the pic isnt meant to be there?

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2013, 08:16:50 pm »
I've just played this game for exactly that reason. Trust me that will be a very big hole buy the time you get rid of all the shite metal off.
The best thing to do is weld a new formed plate over the hole, you have to get rid of all the rust and knock it back to good steel, thats why the hole will get bigger. As you have the pipes off may as well weld another plate over the 2 joins of the collector box, where the four go into two and the two into one. If you can weld great, if not get a professional as it is thin steel and you may blow a hole in the good pipe, £50 it cost me to get that done.
New gaskets are best, but if yours are the crushed copper ones you can heat them up and then drop them in cold water, not done it myself but its meant to work.
There wont be any hole in the downpipes before the silencer/end can, other wise it wouldn't be silenced. There is a small drain hole at lowest point of the silencer in the stainless steel.
Any VHT paint will work, don't worry about perfection when spraying it on, most of mine flaked off after a month in this weather.
Good luck
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

swem

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - honda 400/4 supersport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2013, 09:50:46 pm »
aj  what part o the country do u live    im in n , ireland   and im sure i cud do a job on your exhaust for you if it suits  :thumbup

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2013, 12:46:36 am »
to be honest , maybe brutally honest I think your on to a lost cause trying to save those pipes

looking at the amount of rust ( i know its not very clear in the picture) but i think the'll near enough fall apart as you try to take them off !

I would go with a bit of a coke can a jubilee clip or two and save your money to get a replacement ASAP!

I hope im wrong ! but  :o  good luck either way

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2013, 09:38:38 am »
Thanx for all the replys. The rust isn't actually that bad as its quite solid even around the hole. I have got my own welders but ill probably ask my mate to do it as he is a brilliant welder.