Date: 10-06-24  Time: 16:54 pm

Author Topic: Triumph sprint  (Read 6215 times)

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
Triumph sprint
« on: 11 March 2013, 09:12:24 pm »
I know it's not a fazer but I have had a square and foxeye 600 and want to try something different so would like your honest opinions I can afford a 2008 model
if it aint broke, try harder!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph sprint
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2013, 09:17:57 pm »
Dunno about the sprint specifically, but I have a tiger 800xc,and absolutely love the motor! If you haven't ridden a triumph triple, get a test ride pronto :thumbup

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2013, 09:24:30 pm »
Mate of mine has got one. Good tourer with nice triple engine. Ive got the Speed Triple.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2013, 09:34:03 pm »
Cheers new job requires 60 miles a day which I know is nothing for the fazer but as it has now hit 41000 on the clock 31000 of them mine I fancy change and want full fairing, would look at fazer thou faired but not seen a good one and like the triple engine will test ride very soon

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2013, 11:21:00 pm »

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2013, 12:12:51 am »
Headlights are shit, brakes feel horrible but work good. Cracking motor and they handle well.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2013, 08:29:24 am »
fazer thou faired but not seen a good one

Have you had a wee peek in for sales on here ?
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2013, 08:43:57 am »
fazer thou faired but not seen a good one

Have you had a wee peek in for sales on here ?     nope had a look unless im going mad cant see a fully faired thou for sale?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2013, 11:27:13 am »
I test rode a Sprint 1050 ST a while back (there's a thread on here about it somewhere) and although it was only for about 15-20 minutes, I did like it.

It handled nicely, the power came in smoothly (and kept coming!) and it generally felt a good bike to ride. I may still look at getting one in the future, although my only real concern is that it needs a full service (including valves) every 12,000 miles which is a tadge expensive.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2013, 11:53:21 am »
i really do like the bike although i have not ridden one YET but agree the service intervals are a concern :eek

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
Nice bikes, and engine. Think the servicing is a bit costly though.
Why not get a Fazer8  ......you can't improve on perfection  :D :D :D
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2013, 02:32:52 pm »
Nice bikes, and engine. Think the servicing is a bit costly though.
Why not get a Fazer8  ......you can't improve on perfection  :D :D :D

The French have an event called the Dark Dog Moto Tour - it's a tour of France, with rally-style road race stages. And the reigning champion supreme rides... you guessed it... a Fazer 8!!  :lol
The Deef's apprentice

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
Brilliant !!!!! :eek

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2013, 03:37:22 pm »
was that a brilliant for the triumph or fazer 8

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2013, 03:41:24 pm »
was that a brilliant for the triumph or fazer 8

Errrrrrr  The Fazer 8....no contest.  The Triumphs good, but IMHO the 8's the best. Just my opinion tho, it always comes down to what suits your riding style and what puts a grin on your face.  :lol . For me thats the 8 (especially if it's white with gold wheels hehehe)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2013, 05:18:35 pm »
I had a Tiger 1050, and that engine is an absolute gem! The Sprint is said to be the clever mans VFR, but the Fazer thou beat it (and others) in a RIDE mag test a few years ago on pretty much everything!
As for 'high mileage' on your Fazer 600, don't worry about it, 41,000 is nothing!  :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2013, 07:54:13 am »
I always laugh when owners always say their current bike is the best ever ...bull...its what you can afford and choose at the time.

I also laugh when someone doesnt buy a bike because of poor headlights, when 99% of biking is leisure riding in daylight.I also think you cannot possibly judge a bike by a 15 minute ride.You  havent even had time to test the bike over a full range of roads and uses
Best advice is to talk to someone who has owned sprints and actually has done some meaningful riding on them. Me fer instance.I also have ridden the fazer 8 for about 2 hours , and while on its own is Ok, its not the best bike out there, many other middleweights are worth looking at .My pick is the street triple R, which I have ridden for about 500 miles just on tests( 4 seperate bikes).

You also cannot judge a stock bike by the performance of race specials!!  FFS .

As for the sprint , its triumphs  copy of the VFR model, but with better power and torque. Its not perfect but that engine is one of the best ever.Smooth , fast , good handling, and 12k service apart , cheap to run, or at least the same as comparable bikes. If you think sprint services are dear , try vfr and bmws...then you will know dear servicing.I would happily own another sprint .I had 2 and did 26k trouble free miles.The very first sprints had a brake issue, sorted out by triumph, so an 08 model will be fine.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2013, 10:46:38 am »
I like the sound of :

Triumph Street triple
Triumph Tiger 1050
Fazer Thou
Honda Deauville.

If you're doing a few miles I'd be tempted to have a tourer/commuter for work (Deauville) and keep the Fazer for fun.

I could never understand why Triumph didn't make the Street triple a 3x200cc rather than 3x225cc from a tax perspective it would make sense and I would have thought a touch of tuning would sort out the power band.  WTF do I know tho.

The Tiger looks like great fun.
The Fazer is just nice. I like mine and I'd like another
The Deauville looks comfy and sophisticated and tidy.

I've not ridden any of them so I'm only going on looks and ideas.  I know nowt.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2013, 11:10:33 am »
Cheers guys don’t get me wrong i love my fazer have had two, well the only road bike i have owned. i feel and i need a change and yes i just want to try something else. The Fazer thou is very appealing but i would want one for the weekends not commuting. so i believe the Triumph would be a good compromise and that’s what i think it is.
I have been on the site for a while now and appreciate the balance of opinions.

Once again cheers
 :b

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2013, 03:03:31 pm »
If your wanting a bit of a hoon at weekends, then the Tiger will need suspension work, as the standard set up is appauling unless you buy a 2010+ bike.
 These are a long distance bikes, definately NOT sports bikes and are comfy to the bitter end. Mine had the best slow speed rideability of any bike I've ridden. Tune the engine (very easy) and they absolutely fly! But the handling is no match for a Fazer/st.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

thecert

• About as funny as a
    wasp in your helmet.
  • GP Hero
  • Now on a new ride but still love the thou'
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T120
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
I know it's not a fazer but I have had a square and foxeye 600 and want to try something different so would like your honest opinions I can afford a 2008 model

As you can see I had a Sprint 1050 and a fine machine it was to with excelent handling plenty of grunt and great looks, I would agree that the headlamps nead to be upgraded though because mine were not really up to it, but as Pitt's says you don't need them that often anyway unless you do a lot of night riding. :)
I fitted a trident triple sports exhaust conversion to mine in carbon finish which looked the dogs and sounded great aswell the only trouble was the poping when shutting down but a suitable maping to match at my local dealer sorted that out and added another 10 bhp.
To be honest I only kept her for about six months purely because although a fantastic alrounder it some how lacked the top end rush you get with a Yamaha in line four as in a Fazer thousand that it had replaced.  Also my son on his thou' kept pulling away from me which was quite anoying. lol.  :lol
So in conclusion IMO if you are replacing from a six hundred then you will be well pleased because as they say "what you have never had," however if you can run to a fazer 1000 gen1 do so because it's a no brainer it will do everything including your weekly comutting.
When the going get's tough the tough get going.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2013, 04:22:01 pm »
oh decisions, to be honest i think the only two things stopping me going Fazer thou is i really like the look of the sprint and i wanted to try something different, the 600 when squeezed gives me all the rush i want (or can handle ) but i do keep looking back a gen1 ?????? would want one fully sorted ivanised rear shock etc and a very late model 2005. what to do  :\ :\

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2013, 05:19:53 pm »
If you haven't taken the sprint out yet then you really can't decide in my view. You may hate it!  Pitts advice is good, but at the end of the day it's what you feel like when riding it, (and what you can afford). Some of the bikes I took out for test rides (cos like you I wanted something different) I really hated even though beforehand I thought they would be good. They just didn't feel right.  So, get out and ride a few, you may find the decision is easy once you've been out on a few, but do try and go for at least an hour, preferably 2 or 3 hours if you have a decent dealer. If you get the wrong bike it can be an expensive mistake.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2013, 05:28:33 pm »
good advice will try this weekend, did find this though not sure if i like the colours

http://www.gtmotorcycles.com/item/299/yamaha-fzs-1000-fazer

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2013, 05:51:33 pm »
Looks like your just down the road from me if you are in pompey.
Plymouth is a hell of a long way to go for a test ride imho. Deardens in Holbury (Southampton waterside) is good and let me take their bikes out for a long ride, dunno what they have at the mo tho.
It has the lower fairings on which I guess is what you were looking for, not sure how good the colour match is. Mileage is low but you'd need to check on previous owners etc
I would always get local test rides first to make the decision as to which bike I wanted, and then look for a good deal locally before going so far afield. Once you have decided you can guage how far you are prepeared to travel, and it is worth noting you can get them delivered for around £125 ish.
Good luck and keep us posted.